Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender View Post
I always thought it would be cool to do the onboard compressor/air bag setup that independently controlled your left and right bags. That way (in theory anyway), you could use them for leveling when you get to camp.

I did that on my SMB, just for that reason. It looks good on paper but didn't really work well. Anytime I needed to level the 2-3" on one side didn't do much. Still easier to just fine a chunk of wood or rock that can get you up 6" or so in a second or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I did that on my SMB, just for that reason. It looks good on paper but didn't really work well. Anytime I needed to level the 2-3" on one side didn't do much. Still easier to just fine a chunk of wood or rock that can get you up 6" or so in a second or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep same for me. I only can lift it about 3 inches. Usually when off roading I keep em deflated to about 20 pounds of air. I do understand they limit droop, but have yet to have an issue and I visit some fairly jacked up trails. Sometimes a couple of inches can get you off a rock but to tell the truth that rarely happens. I want to attempt to do something like U-Joint does but it all depends if we can duplicate a similar free type system. I don't have limit straps and the bags have been on for several years.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #23

Garage
^^^ thanks for chiming in guys. I wondered if you could utilize the bags for leveling. Main reason I had it planed to replumb mine that way was for handling more than camp spot leveling. Did either of you have the bags plumbed conventionly prior to doing them individually? If so did you notice any difference in the way the van handled?

Seems like there would be less need for a rear swaybar if the bags didn't transfer air from the bag with resistance to the bag without. I've been running my van without the rear sway in town since my axle conversion and I like it a lot better, but on the highway or at speed, it most definitely needs the swaybar.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 AM   #24

Definitely setup the airbags individually. Linking the laterally will cause air transfer as you suspect, and the will reduce roll stiffness.

On the other hand... keeping them independent doesn't necessarily increase roll stiffness. I'd say its more neutral. I can't really feel any difference in body roll deflated or fully inflated. It is fun watching the needles sweep past each other in opposite direction when driving on rough terrain.

I do have in cab controls. It can be used for leveling, but its effect is fairly limited. Or it is on my van at least, no doubt partially because of the 1.5" rear sway bar.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #25

Garage
sorry for the derail odinson, but a subject came up ive been wondering about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
...It is fun watching the needles sweep past each other in opposite direction when driving on rough terrain.
too funny. its the little things like this that entertain me as well. I also get a lot of enjoyment from listening to the abs and traction control work overtime when we race our "luxury" car. I really do have a simple mind....

what I don't like about the swaybar in town is the wallowing after going sideways through a water drainage. its 100 times better with the proper shocks from agile, but the swaybar does increase the wallow. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too. stability on the highway is more important. espcially when my foolish friends trust me with their lives I suppose.

as always, appreciate your input carringb
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #26

So I think I've decided I'm doing the sport rite airbags (not air linked) with a custom floating job. I'm giving it a shot unless someone dissuades me. Been reading a fair amount about the 'dangers' of unrestricted airbags and it seems no different than the 'dangers' of tires. Seems to be a case of lawyers looking for work. Actually it seems more stressful for airbags to be attached and used offroad then detached and used offroad.

Please indulge my awful drawing.

Ujoint's floating spring for reference.

And a video of the sport rite deforming and limiting travel offroad. Restricted wheel leaves the ground in after 42 seconds.

odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #27

BTW no worries. Thread drift is a victimless crime IMO.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:53 PM   #28

The sport rites need to be mounted IMO. they will probably slip off the baseplate and fold over of not anchored. I've had a couple fail both times because the baseplate bolts broke and the plate shifted. If only too a couple inches of shifting to make the airbag buckle and cause a "pinch flat"
Old 02-26-2017, 11:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The sport rites need to be mounted IMO. they will probably slip off the baseplate and fold over of not anchored. I've had a couple fail both times because the baseplate bolts broke and the plate shifted. If only too a couple inches of shifting to make the airbag buckle and cause a "pinch flat"
That's really funny. I just noticed this vid from the same guy.

I have a different design planned, but yes now that I see it on that xterra I can see how it can go wrong.

Maybe I need to switch to the stouter heavy duty bags to float.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #30

Talking OK I have a plan. Gunna float

I'm not giving up on the float. I may be hocking the sport rite kit depending on if I need parts from it. I can't accept some compromise without at least *trying* to do the technologically superior float.

Need some bucks and would like some warmth, so on a holding pattern, but I'm pretty sure I found a way to float.

The pictures are horrible on the kits out there. VERY misleading, tons of 'stock' photos of what brackets ship with what kits. Always check the riterite.com website before you order.

The official kit for a 2014 e350, the Ride Rite 2181, will not work. Quadvan may ship stock leaf springs with a standard 4" lift, but the shock mounts will interfere with the 'inside the frame' mount. It must be an 'over the leaf spring' mount, like the sport rite would have been.

Also you'll want a BIG platform for the double convoluted air shock to land on. Settling on a Rite Rite 2176 as my best chance at happiness. Measured it as sanely as I can at distance. AFAICT there is NO way that bag will slip off that pad. It *should* fit. If not there is always the bandsaw.

I'll do a write up on how badly I have to void the warranty to achieve zen.