Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
2x on the Quietride... dollar for dollar some of the best money we've spent yet on the van.
Joe

So, did you get the whole kit?

Looks like the B Quiet and the Quietride are two different companies.

I seem to remember a thread around here w a pretty extensive explanation of one persons sound proofing experiences. Sounds like there are lots of different products to choose from.

This is on my list, too . . . . .

Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #12
MSD

Garage
Yes two different companies for sure, B Quiet is Canadian and at the time I didn't even know of Quietride or I would have checked them out.

I went with B Quiet because of the good exchange rate and a friend had used the product in one of his hotrods. When he said there was no difference between Dynamat and BQuiet I pulled the trigger, since Dynamat was going to cost so much…

Been very happy with it, did all the floor and dog house and doors. Made a huge difference.

That being said I know there are a lot of products on the market and I think it just comes down to budget some times, I helped a friend do his van with frost king and a peal and stick asphalt product from Home Depot and it turned out get and did a really good job on a quiet ride, so in the end there are options.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #13

I used the Quietride stuff too when I had my 6.0. It worked well and was precut to fit. Now I have a Duramax and I'm considering ways to make it louder....
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #14

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I decided on the B Quiet material to treat the interior of the doghouse. Still waiting for that to arrive.

In the mean time, I pulled the fronts seats & put down a layer of neoprene, followed by a layer of mass loaded vinyl. Got everything out back together this morning and went for a drive. Wow! Just treating the floor has made such a tremendous difference. Well worth the effort!

Can't wait to see how much improvement there is after treating the inside of the doghouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #15

Mass loaded vinyl is the kick for sure. I was gonna get some, then I realized I was laying down vinyl Loncoin flooring that was quite heavy. I did full coating of sound deadening butyl backed foil, then two layers of ensolite 1/8" foam, then the flooring over that.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:54 PM   #16

I used B-Quiet in my Vanagon Westy and when that ran out I switched to Peel & Seal roof patch material from the local home improvement store. About half the cost per square foot, goes on the same way, is readily available at short notice and appears to work identically. I expect to be using the same stuff in the Dodge B350 highroof we just bought.
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #17

On my bucket list,

wlbaker3; can I please get the spec on the neoprene and the mass loaded vinyl you used. Tks. J
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #18

Sorry for the delayed response ... I don't spend a lot of time here.

All my material came from https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/.

On the floor, I laid down the neoprene first, then the mass loaded vinyl - it made a tremendous difference.

I've also insulated the roof and walls with their hydrophobic melamine foam. Again, made a big difference in both sound dampening & temperature control.

I still haven't gotten around to doing anything around the doghouse, though.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #19

Garage
I removed the cup holder/storage bin front of the doghouse and stuffed packing foam and old T-shirts in all the available spaces.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #20

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I figured this was better to ask in context than try to start a new thread (though I reserve the right to do so if no one finds their way back here :-p)

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare the QuietRide system "side by side" with the MLV/CCF option? both systems have the dynamat (or equivalent) layer so my core curiosity is, is the aluminum backed fiber layer of the QuietRide folks equivalent to the MLV/CCF?

I do not intend to be doing carpet over top (It will be another form of flooring yet to be determined) so the softness of the QuietRide system is a neutral I am mostly interested in maximum sound cancellation.

My engineering brain leans toward the MLV/CCF option as the better system but I am curious if anyone has any emperical data to bring to the discussion.

As much as I like the QuietRide system from a kit perspective, I am going to have to do a fair bit of "piece together"ing anyway as I have the pop-top roof so dont need all the material for that section but the "roof kit" includes the walls so still need wall material etc. And I know the previous owner of my van did some areas with dynamat (or equivalent), so the areas he already covered I wont need materials for. This makes a "build my own" kit more appealing as well. When I have priced equivalent system the QuietRide is not much of a deal from a raw material perspective ... the price for their kit is about the same as it would cost me to put together a list of materials. The benefit of the kit (and still a draw to me) is that is precut and has detailed instructions making it less overhead to dig into the depths of the internet to find reference or bug all the fine folks here for thoughts :-)

Thanks for this thread though it helps to see some of this discussed in context of the e-series vans. Surprisingly not a lot on you-tube about sound proofing these bad boys. I did find a video of someone doing the cab of a first gen Dodge with the Cummins and that was helpful -- they went with the MLV/CCF approach from SoundDeadenerShowdown but they are not longer in business as of Feb 1 2019
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote