Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #31

Re: Southeastern build

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestoneman
Wow thats cheap! I ended up buying mine at Home Depot and I paid $1.94 squ ft. It is a little darker than what I was expecting,so I figure we'll just lighten up the walls a little bit.
How many square feet did you need? I've bought van flooring a couple times now but can't remember how much it takes exactly. I need to do my RB van from the rear door to behind the front seats. I'm going to get carpet for the front area and do a threshold behind the front seats as I did on my last van.

Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #32

The smallest amount available was 7'x17.5". So I have quite a bit left over. I'm planning on doing the rear cargo area of the wives suburban,but still have several squ ft. of expensive scrap that I need to find a use for.
thestoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #33

IIRC you need roughly 10' of length to cover the rear floor from just behind the front seats in an RB.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #34

I installed the coin flooring yesterday only to turn around and uninstall it. After repeated calls to the manufacturer with no replies I opted for weld wood contact cement,since I'm familiar with it and have always had good results.

The install went great no bubbles in the flooring and it laid down really nice. But when I came back a couple hours later there were bubbles all in the floor and it was almost like it had softened the floor or melted it somewhat.

I rolled it back out again but it was no use the bubbles kept reappearing so I stripped the whole sheet out and laid it out to dry.

This morning I called the manufacturer and I was able to talk to tech first thing without having to leave a message (go figure). He advised that the weld wood wasn't compatible with the flooring and I should use wf Taylor 2091 adhesive.

So what I'm thinking now is cover the existing plywood up with maybe Luan and try this again.

Not real sure why I didn't do a test piece first
Old 03-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #35

Ouch!
2003 Honda Element
Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #36

On a good note I came home this evening and the floor has laid back down and relaxed to its original state. I tried removing the cement with denatured alcohol,but failed. I'm thinking that maybe goo gone will do the trick. ??? I'm pretty sure the flooring will be salvageable though.

Rear ladder is installed (pics coming soon) and I scored three yakima roof racks off craiglist for $150. Which include 4 1a towers( thinking that these will work well for over the cab one day when I install solar) four rail riders (work perfect with the sportsmobile factory tracks),four q towers (No use for these so I'll ebay) and two 58" bars. I'm thinking that the bars need to be a little longer for our needs but we'll see.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #37

I've got 66" yakima crossbars and they span the width of the roof (PH) almost exactly.....58" are a bit short.....
2003 Honda Element
Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 AM   #38
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestoneman
I installed the coin flooring yesterday only to turn around and uninstall it. After repeated calls to the manufacturer with no replies I opted for weld wood contact cement,since I'm familiar with it and have always had good results.

Not real sure why I didn't do a test piece first
It was in hopes of avoiding this sort of mishap why I suggested something other than solvent-based contact cement. Its not compatible with the type flooring material because of its solvent base---it does indeed soften the material itself as well as creates a gas which is trapped and shows itself by those bubbles.

All too often we install something thinking it will never have to be removed---a huge misconception in anything vehicle related.

Sorry for your bad luck.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #39

Sorry to hear about the trouble Stoneman. Thanks for documenting it though so someone else can avoid the same problem. Let us know how it turns out.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #40

Eh it is what is is guys,the whole process could've been avoided though if the manufacturer had provided installation instructions with the product. We learn from our mistakes and go on.

So after more hours than i care to admit(probably could've bought two more rolls of flooring for the amount hours spent on it)the contact cement is off!

Laquer thinner and a wire brush from the equine section of tractor supply and a lot of elbow grease did the trick.Oh and the help of my awesome wife too!

I located the correct adhesive yesterday and made the two hour drive to pick it up.So flooring is going in saturday!

JWA- I contacted Roberts adhesive since I could source their product locally and their tech said that none of there products were for use on rubber flooring. Not that it wouldn't work they just couldn't advise further.So better safe than sorry.Thanks for your input it is much appreciated.