Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 05:13 AM   #41

Re: Southeastern build

How's the progress? any new pictures?

jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #42

Stoneman - happened to be cruzing the site and came across your post. I bought your old van which has been awesome. You were not joking about having your next project ready to go. Looks great and please keep updating.

Johnathan
Aukayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #43

Hey Jonathan its good to hear from you,I've been meaning to text you and see how it was working out.Hope y'all enjoy it as much as we have.BTW my wife teared up when y'all drove away in it.Hehehehe
thestoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #44

Ive gotten quite a lot done since my last post so here it goes.

Dereks 4wd kit has been installed,I really wanted to tackle this part of the project by myself but with time being an issue I received some help from a friend with a lot more experience than me and a lift in his shop!Heres a few pics.

The van nearly didn't come back out of the shop once the front end was installed.As you can see in the picture I had around less than an inch clearance.

The van sits up a lot higher than I ever expected.Im measuring 21" to the bottom of the body.I measured my stock e350 and its sitting at 13"(did I mention I bought another van hehehehe).

Ladder installed.Still trying to decide on tires right now I'm leaning towards nitto 285s

I am very impressed with how this van drives and handles since the front end is in.Ive had it up to 85mph on the highway and tried to hit every bump and pot hole I see with no DW,darting or wandering. Im running Bilstein 5100 shocks and used the pro comp dual steering stabilizer.Still haven't installed the t-case so she's gonna be a pre-runner for a little bit.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #45

This week I've been trying to get the inside finished up.Im hoping to have my cabinets in by this weekend.

furing strips are installed.I also framed out my windows just as Skinny did on his build(one of my favorite builds so far).I found some material locally that will cover the window frames and a few trim pieces,the color really matches my leather interior well.The walls will be be painted,for some reason I couldn't talk my wife into the naugahyde walls.

Blue foam board insulation installed.

Used duct tape on every seem of the insulation.

naugahyde around the window.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #46

Man that thing just does squeak into that garage. I'll bet you gain 1/2" in height going to 285's. Sure looks good.
jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #47

Started on cabinets yesterday.Took a while just to make the templates.The couch will be a tight fit once the doors are on and there is no room for handles so they will have to be flush mount.The cabinets will be have a full overlay door(think IKEA)and its hard to see from the pic but the shelves have been dadoed into the cabinet wall and glued and screwed.

To the right there will be a sink and truck fridge.The sink will be mounted down into the countertop with a fold down faucet and a cover to maximize counter space.Overhead sink shelve should be finished this evening.

Couldn't figure out exactly how the factory SMB front penthouse trim went so I started mocking one up myself.Old headliner cut down and ill repurpose the factory material on my own trim.

passenger side penthouse before naugahyde.

window trim getting glued.

finished!Well not really I'm planning on covering all the screws with screw caps.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #48

Looks great! Nice job getting the windows trimmed out. I am working on this right now and struggle to make it look even reasonably acceptable - it isn't nearly as easy as it seems it should be!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #49

thanks rockbender your right there is a lot more to it than it looks like.Its not perfect but it looks pretty good to me.Are you using foam behind your fabric? I wish that I had done so,I think it would've been more forgiving than just glueing it over paneling.

Heres a few pics of the trim

Ordered my truck fridge http://www.truckfridge.com/tf130acdc.html on monday and it arrived the next day! .So the fridge cabinet and sink cabinet are beginning to take shape.

The fridge will cut into the window somewhat but i have no choice.I also had to lift the fridge up 4 1/2" to miss the fender well.Countertop will sit at 34".Im still trying to decide on the countertop material Im leaning towards a stainless look.I also want to change the look of the fridge too.Im just thinking i have to black and white and need to break it up somewhat.

The power sofa has been working out well until sometime last week.The motor seems to be getting very weak and i have to assist the bed up and down.I called the seat manufacturer (atwood) but they have no idea what motor i have or where it came from.They offer a motor of a different size but my cables would be too short.Here is a pic if anyone might have any ideas.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #50

Started on my countertop this evening. It is half inch plywood that will be painted with a metallic hammered finish and then topped off with a coat of epoxy.

Another piece has been glued on the bottom to hold up the sink cover.

Test fit.

This is the sink cover showing the type of finish, the epoxy isn't on just yet.i really like the finish it gives it some depth and you cannot tell its plywood.