Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Spare tire carrier - Aluminess question

So, I have a new Aluminuess tire carrier I was going to fit onto the 350. However, when looking at this thing (not yet installed), it appears I will not be able to open the driver's side rear door all the way out. Or, does it allow it to open further than when clipped in?

The reason I ask is if I wanted to put something in there and wanted the door to swing out further like it would without. Just asking those that have them...

I was thinking I might want to look at other alternatives where maybe the tire was secured on the door itself and would allow it to open further.

Thoughts?

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #2

Re: Spare tire carrier - Aluminess question

Be careful mounting a spare tire on the rear door. Rear door mounted spare tires are very common on van applications. Most of these vans stay on the pavement and aren't subject to the additional stresses of bouncing around off road. Spare tires weigh quite a bit and expose your door to a lot of stress offroad.

I have a buddy that needs to replace his rear door because the rear mounted system that bolts to the hinges and door started tearing the metal on the door.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Be careful mounting a spare tire on the rear door. Rear door mounted spare tires are very common on van applications. Most of these vans stay on the pavement and aren't subject to the additional stresses of bouncing around off road. Spare tires weigh quite a bit and expose your door to a lot of stress offroad.

I have a buddy that needs to replace his rear door because the rear mounted system that bolts to the hinges and door started tearing the metal on the door.

Looking at it, I was afraid of that. i was wondering if an additional brace from the inside might work? Does the door swing out further than when latched? If so, I am good to go. I just am making this capable to have a fold up bed and allow a bike to be transported if need be. Having the door restricted sorta sucks... But, I have to go to the right anyways as the brace for the mount is almost dead center of the bumper and a ramp will not go over and would need to be right of that mount point...

Dunno. It'll look awesome, but I don't want aesthetics making it almost impossible to use...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #4

The Aluminess tire carrier does not mount on the door, but to the factory bumper mounts on the frame. No added stress on the door.

I moved my Aluminess tire carrier ~4" to the right and can only open my driver's side door 90 degrees. Had I left it more to the left the door would open further. In the standard location, I don't believe it will restrict the door opening very much at all.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
The Aluminess tire carrier does not mount on the door, but to the factory bumper mounts on the frame. No added stress on the door.

I moved my Aluminess tire carrier ~4" to the right and can only open my driver's side door 90 degrees. Had I left it more to the left the door would open further. In the standard location, I don't believe it will restrict the door opening very much at all.

Mike

How did you mount it over more? The one connection actually uses the door hinge on the driver's side rear door... Moving it right would mean you didn't use that unless you fabed up a bracket?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #6

Yes, I had to make that bracket. Utilized apiece of SS I had laying around.

I moved it over by utilizing the right set of holes on the bumper bracket instead of the left set of holes. Now the passenger side door won't open unless the tire carrier is rotated out of the way.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #7

Mine is on the Aluminess, but the arm is the same. The restriction on mine is the tire not the gate, in that when open the spare bumps the bumper riser when it's open- which I guess would be analogous to the taillight. By shifting the tire itself you can get more swing (or by not having such gigantic tires).

For me it became a trade off between the passenger rear door opening past the tire and how much the gate will open, but there is more to stop it and I've got 34" tires. The newer Aluminess design also has a plate with lugs so you can swap bolt patterns, which should be easier to relocate to shift the tire allowing for more swing.

Just keep two or three points of the tire touching the arm, the lug arm is not designed to support the spare alone.