Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #1

Starting a EB build, seeking help with ideas for interior and practical use advice.

Hi All,

I am starting to build a fairly basic interior out on a EB Econoline. The van is pretty empty right now, but has a CCV mid top and was converted to 4x4 by CCV. My buddy helped me put down ¾” plywood based and some laminate flooring.

For background we have 2 younger kids 4 and 6, so I am building this with them in mind. I am keeping benches 1 and 3 in. My reasoning is keep factory mounts and bench may provide some better safety with the car seats, whether that is correct or a fallacy.

The interesting thing is I was able to find a bench for the 3rd row that folds forward, not quite flat but close. It was from a newer Chateau van (08+), as the 3rd row behind captains chairs.

I intend to fold flat and put a sleep platform on top to use as lower sleep quarters.

I would love to hear some practical advice and thoughts from the folks on here to put together a useful and practical layout given the limitations that I have. Here are a few basic sketch layouts I put together in PowerPoint.

My key concerns are:
1. Where should my camco toilet go? My immediate thought is having access to toilet at night (e.g. not under the sleep platform) is an important feature especially for kids. Would be nice to have access to fridge, but not critical.
2. Where should the fridge go? I already have a Dometic CF-80
3. Related is, where to put the sleep platform? Either, between 1st and 3rd row bench or behind third row and with a little bit going forward. (see layout 2, 3, or 4)
4. For rear AC, is the vents on the bottom in the back intake vents? (circled in red) How much room/clearance do I need to give it if I put a cabinet there.

Lastly there are notes for layout specific ones just want to make sure that everything is safe should I carry additional passengers. The plan for now is to have the kids in the front bench in their respective car seats.

I’d love to hear your thoughts, thank you all for your time. My primary goal is to make this as safe as possible. and functional as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Slide2.jpg   Slide4.jpg   Slide3.jpg   Folded Bench Front v2.jpg   Folded Bench Back v2.jpg  

Bench Unfolded Front v2.jpg   Bench Unfolded Back v3.jpg  

lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #2

Just jumping in here re swivel seat bases - Do you have them? If not, I can add you to the Group Buy that is on right now.

Pass is $195 Driver $205 plus shipping, just provide your zip code an what you want.
thxs Ray

thread link: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...hem-15888.html
Old 06-01-2020, 09:51 PM   #3

The vents at the floor are the rear heater supply air vents. The AC air goes up the ceiling vents via a duct between the small rear drivers side window and the larger window. I believe it is the D pillar.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Just jumping in here re swivel seat bases - Do you have them? If not, I can add you to the Group Buy that is on right now.

Pass is $195 Driver $205 plus shipping, just provide your zip code an what you want.
thxs Ray

thread link: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...hem-15888.html
Thanks, Ray. I bought a passenger one from you a long while back and it's finally going in.
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
Thanks, Ray. I bought a passenger one from you a long while back and it's finally going in.
Awesome! Glad it is going to help your build out.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

PM me & I'll pass you some details of our build.

I am headed out the door on a work trip, but text/imessage me at 303.898.3333 & I'll pass you some lessons learned & photos from my 2003 E350 EB build.

Biggest lesson learned is that you need to plan for your kids getting bigger! Our 15yr old is already 6ft tall & I have some design regrets. :-\

Cheers
Brian

This is the interior style that I should have gone with->

https://expeditionportal.com/the-arc...ists-backpack/
bboeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #7

The 2 most important items (in my opinion) are:
Toilet & fridge........I have the sink top which is very rarely used.
I would like to see the fridge/sink top against the wall and toilet in a cabinet next to fridge. When I stop for the night I remove my toilet and slide it between the driver and passenger seats. I don't have children so my views are all self centered...lol
Have not purchased ice in 16+ years. Have not had to use mother natures restroom in 16+ years. The truth be known I purchased my van as a result of years of intruding on nature in the worst possible weather. I'm now very comfortable with my heated washroom and ice in my drink.
Keep us post on your build.
Highcountrymike 2003, E350 SMB 7.3
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #8

Lots of great ideas and suggestions. I'll throw mine in: Take the van out and use it before building. That way you will get an idea of exactly what you and your family will want/need. When we bought our van, we put the bed on a plywood platform that was strapped to the floor, plus a plywood countertop on top of a couple Walmart plastic drawer units. We used the heck out of it for a year and then did a full build out. Consequently, ours works perfectly for us, but I have never seen anything like it. AND, we haven't really come up with anything we wish to change or wish we had done differently after two years of using it.
Some basics I would suggest for any build: Rattle Trap or the like for sound deadening. Good Insulation. We used Thinsulate. Expensive but worth it.

Google the heck out of any ideas. Youtube was our guide. We had never done anything like this.
Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #9

Great. Ideas following as i am building my now as well.
K31 Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #10

Garage
Kevin H makes a great suggestion. If there is an option of using the van before permanently installing the toilet and fridge, that is a great way to do it. Where the bed is when set up is important so you can access what you need when you need, but also when you are not sleeping as well. Compromises for everything.