Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Storage IN the doors?

I'm exploring any off-the-shelf options that may exist for gaining some storage space in the side doors of my double-barn door (pass. and driver side) Express van. Right now, they are standard upholestered panels but I have seen rear van doors with recessed pockets for loose junk that tends to float around in a vehicle. I do not want permanent shelves or trays that jut out into the pass. comparment; I want low profile. My doors look roughly like this except carpeted and I have a window:

On one door I plan to build a fold out table top. The opposite side will have a removeable kitchen unit. That leaves 3 other side doors and the 2 rear doors that have dead space behind the door panels. That is a lot of space that could be utilized. I'm not sure that simply cutting a hole in the panel and loose stuff rattling around in the door cavity is what I would want.

I thought something like this may exist for a Chevy Express van (bottom images):

That image is for a Ford TransitConnect but that's the idea - recessed panel behind a carpeted panel with a hole to form a storage pocket. I've seen nice conversion vans with these in-door storage spaces but Google searches are not turning up much. Has anyone seen or made something like this? I'm wondering if a shallow Rubbermaid tub could be modified and supported well enough to work?

Thanks!

zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #2

Re: Storage IN the doors?

Probably already crossed your mind, but a form like that would be pretty simple to make a mold and fiberglass exactly what you want.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

If you don't want a shelf in there, would it work to just carpet and leave it all open with a door?

We store some items that are needed by the door (whisk broom, step stool) in the front door, and some items needed outside (sunscreen, bug spray, bunjee to hold the door open) in the rearward door.

it would probably work without a shelf too.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #4

I know you are looking for pre-made inserts, but here are some ideas for you. This is what I was able to do on my Express van. There is still space below the rear side door. I will put something there someday. Have been going slow because there is also latch brace in the area that I want to make sure I do not weaken.

Frt side door has paper towel holder in it (empty at time of pic) and a small storage compartment below it (we use it for: coffee, tea, powder drink boxes).

The rear door has a fold down shelf with storage behind it. A lip on the storage area to keep things in.

Also to get counter space both side doors have small shelves at the window level. Good for a coffee cup, bottle of beer or small dish.

Both back doors have storage for towels, rags stuff. Held in with bungees and a lip at the bottom.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
Probably already crossed your mind, but a form like that would be pretty simple to make a mold and fiberglass exactly what you want.
Yeah, fiberglass is an option but wanted to see what may already be available commercially first. Sometimes I end up with so many sub-projects that reaching the overall goal grinds to a halt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
I know you are looking for pre-made inserts, but here are some ideas for you. This is what I was able to do on my Express van. There is still space below the rear side door. I will put something there someday. Have been going slow because there is also latch brace in the area that I want to make sure I do not weaken.

Frt side door has paper towel holder in it (empty at time of pic) and a small storage compartment below it (we use it for: coffee, tea, powder drink boxes).

The rear door has a fold down shelf with storage behind it. A lip on the storage area to keep things in.

Also to get counter space both side doors have small shelves at the window level. Good for a coffee cup, bottle of beer or small dish.

Both back doors have storage for towels, rags stuff. Held in with bungees and a lip at the bottom.

How are those pockets mounted onto the door panels? Are they just small boxes butt-mounted and glued/screwed to the cutout? That is nearly exactly what I want to do. What thickness of plywood did you use? I may have to remove my panels, remove the carpeting and redo the wood panel underneath in something more stout than what is currently there. The backing board to my carpeted interior panels is pretty flimsy.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

I would just upholster the inside with fabric, then frame the opening... seems to work well and you get more space, if it's slightly irregular in some cases.

I've been meaning to get into the rear passenger door and see what can be done about the wasted space from the Ford license plate holder.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #7

My "standard" construction method is:

1. 1/4" Home Depot birch plywood
2. make door panels first (my Express came with plastic panels)
3. make boxes to match the space
4. attache 1/2" x 1/2" pine (any cheap wood) strips around edge for for glue area. And glue them w yellow glue to back of door panel.
* before I glue them in place I attach them with two sided tape and make sure they fit...do not interfere with exterior van skin :-).
5. Use a router with a bit that has a bottom bearing to clean out the opening.

I try to leave about 1/4" clearance behind the box for fudge factor and pack area with insulation.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
My "standard" construction method is:

1. 1/4" Home Depot birch plywood
2. make door panels first (my Express came with plastic panels)
3. make boxes to match the space
4. attache 1/2" x 1/2" pine (any cheap wood) strips around edge for for glue area. And glue them w yellow glue to back of door panel.
* before I glue them in place I attach them with two sided tape and make sure they fit...do not interfere with exterior van skin :-).
5. Use a router with a bit that has a bottom bearing to clean out the opening.

I try to leave about 1/4" clearance behind the box for fudge factor and pack area with insulation.
Len - thanks for sharing your build specs. I think I'll have some time this weekend to pull a panel and see what I have to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I would just upholster the inside with fabric, then frame the opening... seems to work well and you get more space, if it's slightly irregular in some cases.

I've been meaning to get into the rear passenger door and see what can be done about the wasted space from the Ford license plate holder.
I haven't fully read up on guys builds using products like dynamat and similar types of insulation to insulate the van shell. I'm wondering it I could install that in the doors and adhere fabric directly onto that? Then I could cut a hole in my existing panel and cut the fabric to fold it back to create a carpeted frame that matches the interior and get my pocket storage.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #9

Or jute, maybe jute and then fabric.

Dynamat is like aluminum tape with an 1/8" thick sticky side. It's about as tough to use as gray tape.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #10

Question for LenS -- Where did you get the black handle that's just below the side door latch? Our van definitely needs one, as it is hard to shut from the inside.
jamesglock is offline   Reply With Quote