Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2022, 04:06 PM   #11

my van is a bit different then a stock sheet metal. becauase my van was built for a wheel chair. it was heavly modify. besides the stock floor cut out and lowered from front seats to rear axle. they had to install a 3" body lift to help with clearance. then they installed a built in step/skirt deal to help blend in the body lift.. thats what i cut mostly to fit these tires.

it is only temporary. if i get enough funds or good deals, i would like to make my own radius arms, push the front beams forward a few inches. then see if i can make a coil over upper mount out of the stock spring bucket. should be able to get atleast14/15" of travel with that. not sure if someone has done this before.

but for now, i am just working on the inside and making it reliable.

baja_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:03 PM   #12

Because of where the axle sits in relation to the motor and cross member, you will have a hard time getting that much travel out of a Van without a excessive lift.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Because of where the axle sits in relation to the motor and cross member, you will have a hard time getting that much travel out of a Van without a excessive lift.
maybe. its just thoughts in my head from what i have been able to do with trucks. but this is a different animal and i am learning more with every project.

thanks for the input. i need more to learn
Old 05-28-2022, 09:08 AM   #14

Would love to hear details on your body lift. Is there a brand name anywhere?
Other mods besides the spacers? Like steering column.
What are the spacers made from?
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Would love to hear details on your body lift. Is there a brand name anywhere?
Other mods besides the spacers? Like steering column.
What are the spacers made from?
sorry, been super busy trying to re-make the rear lowe part of my van so my daughter and i can make it on this trip.

i dont have any info on the body lift. it just came with the van. most all body lifts are the same or just make your own, they are simple.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:14 AM   #16

so this got down to the wire for my daughter and i to make this trip. dam supply chain crap going on made it hard for me to get the parts and stuff to build it the way i had it in my mind. no drawings, just build with an idea.

anyways, here are some photo dumps.

i used 1/4 plywood for the floor since the front section has been cut out and lowered about 5 1/2" and is already flat 1/8" steel plate for floor and sides.

i sprayed everything with lizardskin for heat transfer and some sound as well as water proofing it on all sides.

i then covered the floor with kills mat. the sides had some kind of spay in foam that was there when i got the van. i just sprayed the lizardskin over it and placed some kills mat in some places.

i then scored a large bag of havelock wool. so i packed it in all the little holes ad another full sheet between the wall and the factory plastic.

i also picked out a spot for my electrical before the havelock wool and pulled some wires. i only installed soe 12volt plugs and some usb plugs.. 2 sets on the driver side wall, one set on the rear doors, and one set by the side doors. i ran a overkill 10 gauge just because i can. plus and extra 14 gauge at each one for future what evers.

i made a drawer system for my iceco fridge. don't want to keep stopping for ice anymore. i installed it as close to the side door under the bed (have a reg length van) that way i can reach it from outside when i want to.

my daughter and gf picked out the colors. just used baer house paint. easy to paint and touch up when need to. I painted both sides.

when installing it all, i wanted to use 3/4" aluminum angle for all the edges. but i was having a problem with the 1/8" floor because it is all welded so the heat temper kept breaking my bits. this part did not get finished for this trip. i think i will need to up it to 1 1/4" angle.?????

the bed i used some 1 1/4 square tubing. notch the wood cabinets i made so they sit in to them. my gf and i can sleep side ways but when my daughter goes with me, i would prefer length wise or it would be creepy if the person by the back door had to get up while the other is sleeping so i made the bed to extend the extra 12".

i used some 1 1/2 square tubing for the wall mounts. just cut them to length and open up one side so the 1 1/4 lays in them. i used some rivnuts i had to mount them to the walls.
i got some quick release pins to hold it all together.
Attached Thumbnails
vanrearbuild2.3 (2).jpg   vanrearbuild2.4 (2).jpg   vanrearbuild2.5 (2).jpg   vanrearbuild2.6 (2).jpg   vanrearbuild2.7 (2).jpg  

vanrearbuild2.8 (2).jpg  
Old 07-18-2022, 08:19 AM   #17

not sure why or how to fix the pictures from being sideways...

thanks to #Twoxentrix for setting me straight on picture posting.
Attached Thumbnails
van2.2rearbuild.jpg  
Old 07-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #18

Lookin' good !
doublevan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:28 AM   #19

photo dump of this last trip from socal to Yellowstone, grand Tetons, Yosemite, mammoth.
Attached Thumbnails
van summertrip2022.4.jpg   vansummertrip2022.1.jpg   vansummertrip2022.2.jpg   vansummertrip2022.3.jpg   vansummertrip2022.5.jpg  

vansummertrip2022.6.jpg  
Old 07-22-2022, 06:53 AM   #20

a few more. i guess my daughter has all the wild animal photos and the good ones.

anyways. back to my projects. going to repaint my new car hauler trailer (the place did a crappy job). get new tires for it so to get rid of the brand new china bombs.

need to do a small prep job on my prerunner truck. new hiems on the steering (8 of them), then check some stress spots for cracks and fix a few little things and it will be ready for a few loca trips and a annual 5 day baja pacific side run.

next van project: finish the heat and sound deadening around this load diesel motor and driver area. same thing i did to the rear area.

then start on the roof area. remove the nice headliner, wire up the LED puck lights with the dimmer switch, install the max air fan. when they installed the high-top, they did not cut the stock roof the last 2..3 feet. so that part of the bed feels like a cave. i am thinking of cutting it back just a bit more. then make a access door to the rest for storage like whats over the front.

the motor is fine now that i have added bullet proof diesel parts. it could use a bigger oil cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
vansummertrip2022.6.jpg   vansummertrip2022.7.jpg   vansummertrip2022.8.jpg   vansummertrip2022.10.jpg   vansummertrip2022.11.jpg  

vansummertrip2022.12.jpg