Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #11

Re: STUCK - Need advice

I'm over 50, so I can start using that one, too.

Stress will really get you, in more ways than one. After Hurricane Sandy last year, I heard about a gas station on the west side that had gas, so I decided to go top off, even tough I didn't really need to - that survivalist/natural disaster thing you know?

I was in an endless line and just decided to ditch it, so I tried cutting out over the curb. Now, I drove a box truck for years in the city and generally know what I'm doing with any vehicle, never had any issues, especially with a van, etc. THIS time, though, having been living without electricity for 5 days and lacking other amenities, ealing with flood issues, etc, I was stressed out and managed to run my side ladder into a fire hydrant. To make it worse, instead of getting out and figuring out how to gently back out, I just gunned it and really did some damage. Ended up having to have Aluminess ship me a whole new ladder.

I'm just going to nap today for a while.

I could tell you a few other bloopers stories, but I'd make myself really bad. Can't blame them all on fatigue.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #12

Glad it was just a brain fart

Don't beat up on yourself. This kind of thing happens ALL the time. Here's just a small sampling of situations I've encountered while doing AAA service in Corvallis. Something along these lines happens almost daily, and Corvallis is just a little town:

-Lockout call: Windows are down and driver didn't think to just reach in
-Lockout call: Only the driver's door is locked
-Lockout call: Key-Fob is dead. Driver didn't know she can use the key to unlock the doors.
-Emergency Lockout: Forgot the baby in the car... with the keys (those actually come through 911 because the police and fire departments aren't allowed to open cars anymore.)
-No start/no-crank: Car is still in drive
-Stuck car: They forget the middle lane is train-tracks. This happens weekly. One time, the driver started screaming while I was on the phone her because she could hear the train horn. "Maam, are you still in the car?".... "Yes" ...."Well maybe you should step out".... "Oh. Ok I guess that's a good idea".
-Stuck car: Usually on a retaining wall but sometimes large rocks and occasionally on other cars or in a building. Driver got Reverse and Drive mixed up, sometimes followed by mixing up the gas and brake.

I even came on scene once to a driver in diabetic shock. As he was losing it, he called the only emergency he could remember: 1-800-AAA-HELP.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #13

Not mine but I saw this last month in a parking lot... maybe a major mis-calc on garage door opening???

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Site Team

And lets not forget the transfer case not being in gear. I've learned that lesson a few times.

Herb
Old 11-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #15

Or the front hubs not locked!

In my defense I remembered to twist the locking ring but they were already locked and I unlocked them.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Or the front hubs not locked! ...
Ya, that one cost me a rear differential.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #17

You guys made me feel better. Thanks.