Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #1

STUCK - Need advice

Hi All.

I need help. I went to turn over my 2009 E-350 SB with the 5.4 tonight.

I went to disengage the parking brake and it just went further down, meaning the sprocket that should have popped out did NOT pop out of the e-brake control mechanism, i.e.: the emergency brake pedal.

I lay there for a long time, trying to find how to release it. I saw the sprocket/gear teeth, but did not see any kind of lever or other gear engaging them

I came home just now, looked in the factory manual at the exploded diagram of the pedal and could see what looks like a smaller gear, but I cannot seem to get at it, even with a sturdy screwdriver.

Does anybody know any tricks for disengaging the geared mechanism on the pedal itself?

Short of that, is there another way to disengage the brake? I am in a parking garage and might not even be able to flatbed it out to get it to Ford if I cannot get this thing unstuck. Does the e-brake cable secure just the rear drums? Would disconnecting the cable anywhere work? It's a non-standard cable installed by John at Quadvan, so I'd like to preserve it, if possible.

My van is still under extended warranty, so Ford might just replace the pedal mechanism, but that's the least of my worries right now. At the moment, I'm stuck in my parking spot and I don't like it one bit.

If anybody can advise, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Paul

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #2

Re: STUCK - Need advice

Huh?

I thought Ford stopped the push-on/push-off brake in the late 90s? I just checked the spec manual and it says 2009 E350s have a release handle. Mine does, and all the newer rentals I've driven have the parking brake with release handle.

Did you end up with a one-off van with the old style parking brake?

If not, you did try pulling handle, right? Or are you saying nothing happens when you pull the handle?

Sorry, I'm confused.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

Okay, I just went out at 1:20 in the morning, pedaled my bike along the Hudson River to Pier 40, and huffed it up to the top level to ascertain one thing, which is: I do NOT play an imbecile on TV, even though I sometimes do in real life.

IN MY DEFENSE - and I know this is weak - but in my defense:

1. I am exhausted and in the middle of a very stressful series of events at the moment.

2. I am currently using a friend's car as a daily driver which DOES have a push on/push off brake

3. There is no number 3

I have driven that van almost 70,000 miles for over 4 years, have pulled that brake release thousands of times, and did so just a few weeks ago. I went to turn it over tonight, pushed on the pedal, and just forgot about the pull handle. It may sound amazing and, indeed, it's amazing to me. I should probably take two days off and just sleep, but I cannot afford to now.

So, all I can say in summation is:

1. Thank god for this forum.

2. Feel free to leave this post up as a cautionary tale and a testament to my fatigue and general idiocy which, one day, hopefully, I can come back and re-read as a reminder about this time in my life.

3. OR, if you are so inclined, feel free to delete the entire post before any of my clients see it and realize someone as burnt out as I should not be taking care of their business.

Thanks again. I owe you a beverage of your choice the next time I pass through Oregon.

Best,

P
Old 11-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #4

My daily driver has a push-on/push-off e-brake. Wife's car has a hand e-brake. The SMB has the dash release.

Do I ever push down on the SMB e-brake and wonder why it won't release?

After driving the SMB for a week, do I ever reach under the dash for the release in the daily driver and see the hood pop open?

Do I reach for the transfer case lever to release the e-brake in the SMB after driving the wife's car for while? And then I wonder why the 4WD light is on.

NO! NEVER! NOT ONCE!

Well...thinking back...actually...maybe it's happened a time or two....

Don't be so hard on yourself!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

With your current state of mental stress if this is the worst thing you encounter that'd be a good thing!

We've all had those brain fade events, some more severe than yours---best thing is being able to chuckle about it after the fact.

BTW those of us who've been there, done that completely accept your defense. I'd add its not even necessary.

Get some rest though---don't wanna burn yourself out!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I'm still stuck it s in a parking garage and so do understand what your saying as I'm driving my wifes tacoma and she has the vanette. to a bit to find wipers last night.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #7

Thanks, guys. I'm hoping a few good nights' sleep bring me back to my state of functioning.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Site Team

At least your 'moment' didn't result in damaging anything. Years ago mine cost me the auxiliary lights on the penthouse. Damn eaves on the house.

Herb
Old 11-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #9

Thank god I've never done anything stupid ...

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #10

Been there - done that.

Some of the steering column stick controls are reversed between the van and my Tacoma. More that once, I've been driving down the road wondering why the damn wipers won't come on while the guy behind me is wondering why my left blinker's been on for the last 2 miles.

I used to have to call it stupidity but I'm old enough now to just call it a 'senior-moment'.