Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Study bed

I've been thinking about using one of these in my van.

[youtube:39b1jz2x]

4trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #2

Re: Study bed

That's neat, but you'd have to build your own. Theirs is way too tall and I'm sure you would kill the functionality of it trying to modify it. It's a good idea for saving space though.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #3

I want to know the trick involved in stopping the contents of the desktop falling off when you turn it vertical to use the bed. That's some trick...
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Sideways Murphy bed.

Herb
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
I want to know the trick involved in stopping the contents of the desktop falling off when you turn it vertical to use the bed. That's some trick...
Yeah not even the magazine pages move,that makes that a bit hard to read I would think. I would hate having to use the stapler in the exact same spot all time, although I would at least know were everything was when I needed it. The bed side stays completely perfect as well. My bet is its just for the demo model in a sales office and that stuff is all screwed to the desk and the printer is gutted otherwise it would make it heavier to open and close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
That's neat, but you'd have to build your own. Theirs is way too tall and I'm sure you would kill the functionality of it trying to modify it. It's a good idea for saving space though.
I think it could possibly be lowered enough to work in a regular van (if you had a fixxed top even a low one or a Sprinter van it could work great) but you might have to play around with the dimensions to get it right. Its a great idea and would be cool and different, but it would have to latch shut well while driving.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #6

That's clever. Look closely and the desk stays horizontal not vertical as the bed is folding down/up. That's why nothing nothing slides off.

Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
That's clever. Look closely and the desk stays horizontal not vertical as the bed is folding down/up. That's why nothing nothing slides off.

Ray
Well isn't that special...good eyes Ray...
I still think the stuff is glues or screwed on but that makes it much easier to explain.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #8

most people concerned with space already use the space underneath their bed so the fact that this desk folds underneath the bed, while really cool, is a space saving wash....even the cabinets above take up wall space that would already be used by shelves or cabinets.

my .02
Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #9

The video is nice, but anyone got the plans? haha

I had already planned to build something very similar using a foam mattress. I would have cabinet bins that stay somewhat self contained in the frame and would also serve as the base when lowered to the bed. It's in my head, but not on paper yet. Soon as I get the Mud Hippie back from UJoint I'll start on my interior. From the looks of everyone's interiors, I can tell ya that y'all be disappointed in mine. Mine is going to be pretty scant. I use the biker theme, "less is best." haha

Here's a black version (for Marc and Christine - TwoGone) on YouTube:

This next video shows more detail, including the latching mechanisms. Very sweet!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I don't think it's to tall since it's a diy assembly. Build it up inside the van, problem solved.

It might clear the wheel well since it will need to set out from the wall a little, since the van wall is slanted. I do think it will still need to be modified. The support across the bottom would likely interfere with the wheel well. That could be modified and reattached, above the wheel well, and it would create storage space behind the support. I also think the back of the desk might need be notched to accept the wheel well when lowered, I could live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygvan
most people concerned with space already use the space underneath their bed so the fact that this desk folds underneath the bed, while really cool, is a space saving wash....even the cabinets above take up wall space that would already be used by shelves or cabinets.

my .02
I wouldn't think of it as just a desk, more like desk/kitchenette/workspace.. when parked, storage space while traveling. I think it could hold four of those plastic storage totes under the bed.which would be up off the floor when traveling leaving space for cargo.

I just like the idea of folding the bed and most of it's contents up against the wall, saving space for cargo.
4trax is offline   Reply With Quote