Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #1

Super Camper Van Top, Another White Van Build

Gentlemen, yes I know a loose term around these parts. Anyway I am very close to pulling the trigger on a "Super Camper" top from Fiberine or better known as the "Cruiser" top and would like some feedback. Pictured below is what I'm starting with as a canvas and I will add some renderings from some quick cut and paste pictures.

For anyone who has dealt with Fiberine, what are your feelings on quality? Not only quality of the Top but also the installation? I am actually considering installing this myself only because I think I can, and I'm not convinced that Fiberine would give me the best installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Van 017.jpg  

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
smugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #2

Re: Super Camper Van Top, Another White Van Build

This comes courtesy of BW. Thanks Rob for taking the time the other day to let me check out your rig! A little cut and Paste.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Van 017a.JPG  

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #3

I've received some pros and cons on different windows, but I'm leaning towards an Awning style window but haven't given up on the thought of having a slider or maybe two. Here is another shot with a slider.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Van 017b.JPG  

Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #4

Fiberine makes nice tops, their installation has a lot to be desired. Their tops can be crazy heavy if you tell them you want it light it will be a acceptable weight. If you tell them want it thick they will get carried away and it will weigh a ton, but you can have ten people stand on roof at once. If your going to run a rack I would go as light as possible. Every fiberine installed top I have worked on I tore apart their bolts and boards and re did it. They use what looks like scrap wood to clamp the flange down with. They do not really care because most van converters just cover up the walls and waste that space I like to use all the space I can so i have to clean up their work.
72 bronco aod injected 351 4 linked arb f/r 38in swampers
72 bronco 302 c4 soon to be 4bt w/ 5speed 4 inch lift 33 swampers
81 cj 7 in pieces at the moment injected twin turbo 401
ktm 525 exc, 620sx,
62 caddy convertible waiting for me to install 2007 northstar
dsw4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #5

when they startee with the cruiser top production a couple months ago i called them
they do indeed build each one, as ordered

i would agree w/ the "crazy heavy" part
i have no idea how much the stock smb cruiser top weighs

i also consure w/ the install done at fiberine not being the best

would be a good thing to know

maybe post on the Other Forum that smb sponsors
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #6

DSW, Thanks for that feedback. The weight issue is something I was concerned about. The only thing Annabel mentioned was that it would have reinforcing wood strips for the Air Conditioner. I'll let them know to keep it as light as possible, but glass in some pine strips to attach the interior panels to. They've asked that I pay half up front so maybe I'll make a visit and see what I can supply for them, I don't want scraps of wood thrown in there.

Does anyone know if the Camper Top is a reverse flange? I know the shorter bubble top is reverse flange. From what I understand the reverse flange is a little easier to seal.

BW, the other sight SMB sponsor would be Expedition Portal? I've poked around there a little but I'll have to create an account and post.

When I get started I'll document everything pretty well so I'll have a ton of pictures coming.

Thanks for the input!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #7

Just for fun, an Awning style window drawn in. Couldn't find a white van straight on that I could borrow from!
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Van 017e.JPG  

Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #8

I really like the way our Fiberine" 24" Bubble Top worked out for our RB Chevy AWD van. Our top is a reverse flange and the seal is fantastic. We weighed our van with full tank and came in at 5300lbs on the way to VanSpecialties who ordered/installed the top & Fiamma F45 awning. The day after we got back home we filled the tank and headed to the same nearby scales, van weighed 5500lbs. They took out a 6 foot long by van-wide section of steel to give you an idea of what the actual weight of top might be (remember they added an awning too). We chose that size cut out as we wanted to keep the rear-most post/beam and roof for use as an area for duffle bags, also kept the front post/beam behind cab with roof for use as a laundry/toiletry item storage area. As far as i know VS just ordered a stock top for us and it took Fiberine in Southern California ~14 days to fabricate and have delivered to VS located in Portland Oregon.

Your van should look really nice with that cruiser top, we would have gone with one but it's not available for our RB body style ,( We have 74" to the top's ceiling without insulation in our 24" design.

On window design. We chose to keep it simple and have the fantastic fan on the roof installed at same time rather than install more windows (we only have the two-stock non-opening windows in the curb side slide + the two rear door non-opening windows) as we've not needed windows to open in our pacific northwest camping adventures (roof vent was enough flow on our typical low/mid 70 degree summer days). BUT if we went windows we would go with the awning style due to all our rain. For our use, the cracked front windows protected by the weather-tech rain/wind deflectors and bug screen works fine for some easy air flow.

Best 2 U on the build.
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #9

off topic but what kind of mileage you getting with that V10 and Ujoint?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledmods
off topic but what kind of mileage you getting with that V10 and Ujoint?

FWIW
my quigly v10 with 40,000 miles gets 10 mpg

tracked closely
Orange County, Califorinia to Las Vegas and back
70 mph
up and down hills
with A/C on
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote