Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #11

I realize this thread is old, but I ended up here while searching for info about making a swinging bike rack and it helped me with my final design. I ended up using the heavy duty spindle kit from Comp 4x4 and built a custom bumper that holds a 6-bike Recon Rack. Used a pop-pin to keep it in place when it's open. Swings super smooth, even with 6 bikes on it, and doesn't sway while driving. Super pleased!

Anyway, I figured I should pay it forward and include links to a couple videos I did about my rack in case it helps someone else. Disclaimer: these videos are NOT how-tos, but more about issues I ran into and how I fixed them.

Part 1 -
Part 2 -

mackyfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #12

One I did for my van. I scrapped the stock bumper and bolted on a piece of 3x5 tube. Couple hinges and some 2x2 later I had this swing out and bike rack holder. The unpainted section was phase two after it became clear that the bottom hinge wouldn't hold the additional weight of the bikes.

My design had a couple goals. Under 100 bucks, can open the rear door all the way, see rear tail light when closed and not hit the tail light when open. I met all those things.

jblaze5779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbait View Post
That's exactly what I did. I didn't like the aluminess bumpers or how the bars cover the lights. Plus the price tag was a bit steep for me. I was going to custom make one, but my roof rack was taking up too much of my time, so I ended up buying from aluminess. It was a super straightforward install. Bolts right up. You'll need 2 people, 3 makes it easier. Just email them because you can't buy it directly from the website. I have a 35" on the rack if that helps too.

Gatorbait, Nice set up.
I like that Aluminess made and sold you a passenger side swing along with their driver side. I wonder if they still woukld do that in 2021 with their current order volume. How much weight do you think the swing arm mount can handle in the box? Did they give any limits? I'd love to mount two bikes off the top of the swing arm like they do with their whole rear bumper set up. I also don't like the brush guards over the lights and the price tag and actually only really need a right side (Passenger) side tire mount as I think I can reuse/repurpose a door mount tire rack on the driver side if I swap the tire to the pass side. Currently the driver side tire mounted to the rear door hits the tail light at 3/4 open and cracks the light so need to switch this to a swing out. But since there is quite a hefty door mount bracket, I figured instead of plugging holes in the door I coukd mount a box there and swap the tire to the right side.
Clarkboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkboulder View Post
How much weight do you think the swing arm mount can handle in the box? Did they give any limits? I'd love to mount two bikes off the top of the swing arm like they do with their whole rear bumper set up.
Aluminess says 80lbs for their stand alone swing arms. That does not include the weight of the box(their boxes are in the 30-35lb range). So, you wind up with maybe 45lbs of capacity.

In other words, a box and bikes likely isn't happening on their stand alone swing arm.

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:20 PM   #15

BrianBlair, that is helpful info. Thanks Where does Aluminess mention the weight limits and the weights of their products?

I basically hope to have them make a passenger side tire mount that mirrors the drive side tire mount? Not a box mount. I have a 1996 E-350. I only need and want a passenger side tire mount and do not want to have a tire on the driver side. This would allow me to use the existing door mounted tire bracket instead for a storage box since the oversized tire hits the tail light in this position shown below and therefore is unsuitable.
The Aluminess current drive side tire mount would unfortunately forfeit the existing door mount bracket that I could repurpose if the tire was mounted to a Aluminess passenger side tire swing. That would be a shame since its there. I could then add a swing hitch and a bike rack to that to swinging mount paradise.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #16

I just learned from Chris at U-Joint Offroad that they are about to release a new e-series rear bumper with a bike rack swing arm...next week. So looks like I may need to wait for that as I like their brush guard-less bumpers. I believe lighter as well.