Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #1

Swing Arm Bumper Question (homemade)

Has anyone modified/reinforced a stock rear bumper to have a swing arm - or dual swing arms? I want to mount my spare - and if dual is possible, a storage box too.

I don't need, nor can afford, all that comes with the typical heavy duty 4X4 style bumpers and also trying to stay as light as possible.

If you have, I'd love to see some pictures. Thanks.

2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #2

Aluminess has a swing arm that mounts to the stock bumper for spare tires and will make one for the other side for a storage box. They are light, but not what I'd call inexpensive. Around $600 I believe for the spare tire arm.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #3

I never made one, but had plans to use a trailer spindle as the pivot point.. I had found some other folks on the interwebs and that seemed like a good sturdy pivot..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2horsegarage View Post
I want to mount my spare - and if dual is possible, a storage box too...
I was in the same boat a few years ago, I didn't want to spend the big $$$ so I looked at my stock rear bumper pretty closely. My opinion was it's just not very strong, at least, not enough that I'd mount pivots, spare hangers and a galley box to it.

I suppose you buy or copy an Aluminess tire hanger, if your handy make the other hand version for the other side.

My bumper is still a work in progress...
Attached Thumbnails
corners tacked in place, rear view.jpg  
Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

The Aluminess tire carrier doesn't actually mount to the bumper. It bolts to the frame where the rear bumper bolts to (sandwiched between bumper and frame).
Old 01-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
The Aluminess tire carrier doesn't actually mount to the bumper. It bolts to the frame where the rear bumper bolts to (sandwiched between bumper and frame).
Damn that's good to know!!
Old 01-23-2016, 05:43 AM   #7
Wbp

Check out a hitch gate spare tire carrier at Wilco off-road. It maybe an option mounts right to you hitch and under $700.00.
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
That's exactly what I did. I didn't like the aluminess bumpers or how the bars cover the lights. Plus the price tag was a bit steep for me. I was going to custom make one, but my roof rack was taking up too much of my time, so I ended up buying from aluminess. It was a super straightforward install. Bolts right up. You'll need 2 people, 3 makes it easier. Just email them because you can't buy it directly from the website. I have a 35" on the rack if that helps too.

Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #9

I was in the process of building one myself but the project got put on the back burner. Maybe one day soon I'll get back on it.

My idea was an 8x8 piece of angle iron the width of the van with tabs welded on the bottom so that it would reach the bolt holes on the frame where the bumper attaches. The top would be cut to the same contour of the bumper and it would sandwich in between the frame and the bumper. For the swing outs these would be welded on either side IPOR Tire Carrier Spindle
thestoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

Thanks for all the responses. I suppose I have a few things to consider - too bad my thin wallet keeps getting in the way.
2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote