Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #21

Still loving my custom swing arm and 1up rack!

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tion-9673.html

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:30 AM   #22

Here's my set up- just another idea...

tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomesd View Post
Here's my set up- just another idea...

The 1UPusa is the only single tray rack on the market that can span a distance more than half it's length unsupported. Bomber!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #24

Put a receiver on the front of the van and haul them with a normal bike rack.
LandVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
The 1UPusa is the only single tray rack on the market that can span a distance more than half it's length unsupported. Bomber!
I agree, the racks are awesome. Mine, however, is supported on the tire by rotating sway bar bushings on some Yakima bar. The shape of the bushings allow the swing arms to open when we need it to.
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #26

Bump for current input

After not riding for 10 years we finally bought a couple nice ebikes. They've been awesome as a tool to get out and blast around our part of the country where no road or trail is flat for very long. Now we need a way to transport and wondering what people are liking these days for rear hitch mount rack. Our bikes are heavy (56# each) and we spend a lot of time on rough washboard roads. So far looking at 1up, Kuat, Thule, Yakima.

Any input greatly appreciated.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #27

Garage
Thule T2 Classic 2”

We have used this Thule rack for our mountain bikes. We have an Aluminess rear bumper and both a spare tire and deluxe box setup. The rack is a swing down rack with an extra long hitch attachment. With the bikes on at its maximal extension they both fit fine ( a 26” wheel and a 29” wheel size). The bikes and rack have to be removed to open the rear doors of the van. Overall we have been pleased with this setup.
Scott
2019 Transit 350 EB HR Eco Quigley 4X4 “Vandemic “
Attached Thumbnails
9B1C6187-96D9-4345-A9ED-936D57079504.jpeg  
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:29 AM   #28

@pjpvi

Just ran across this image and it looks much like what I would like to accomplish. Do you have other posts describing the custom swing out for the 1UP carrier?

It looks like an alluminess bumper underneath. Id like to use that bumper but I'm trying to avoid having my bikes sticking out way above the stowed penthouse when traveling.
captnluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:41 AM   #29

You might get enough clearance by using a swing-away adapter plus a tray rack. Here’s my Yakima swing-away adapter plus Dr Tray bike rack for reference. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1279.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	48822
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	48823
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1286.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	48824
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 09:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnluke View Post
@pjpvi

Just ran across this image and it looks much like what I would like to accomplish. Do you have other posts describing the custom swing out for the 1UP carrier?

It looks like an alluminess bumper underneath. Id like to use that bumper but I'm trying to avoid having my bikes sticking out way above the stowed penthouse when traveling.

Hi CaptnLuke. It is a great swing arm. It has held up well for about 10 years of use. Lots of 4wheeling and washboard roads with bikes on the back. Only problem I ever had with it was cracks through the Any Seven logo they cut into the latching arm. I welded in some reinforcements and has been good since. Also when I changed from Toyo MT to Nitto Ridge Grappler, the spare tire no longer touched the actual swing arm when bolted in place. This put extra stress where the spare actually bolts to the swing arm and started to crack. When I noticed I took out spacers so the spare tightened up against the swing arm, welded the cracks that started and added a little extra bracing and it has been good since.

Yes, it is attached to the stock pivot points of an Aluminess bumper circa 2005.

I assume you went to the link in my post further up. If you need any other specific info let me know. I still have the van although it's in the middle of a sale (just waiting for the rest of the cash) so I can take any specific photos you may want.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote