Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #51

Garage
Yep they are curved... All water tanks have square edges? Wait are you going to move your spare tire?

Either way, I am sure you could get some straps welded up and then just drilled holes in the frame so it would look stock. Probably just depends on where you wanted to mount the tank.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #52

Didn't 86scotty do something like this to add water capacity to Rusty?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Didn't 86scotty do something like this to add water capacity to Rusty?
Yes he did and I found it his build thread, post number 179, http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...y-10698-3.html
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #54

Progress at last

Spent the last couple of days working on the cabinet boxes for the drivers side.

The low cabinet is the kitchen, then a large and small for storage. The heater that 86Scotty installed will fit in the narrow cabinet with the electrical distribution panel below it.

The cabinet for the heater interferes with the heating duct for the rear heating system so will be modifying the ducting that covers the coil shown in the lower right.

New tools were necessary for the cabinet build. Am really enjoying the Kregg clamps and Rip-Cut saw attachment. Am not using their screw system because have heard that they do not hold on 1/2" plywood.

Next up is the driver side half of the dinette/bed that will be in the back and building the drawers for all the cabinets and the slides for the stove and the fridge. Then will start not he passenger side cabinets.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #55

FWIW. 1der and I installed a Ronco 55 gallon plastic tank under the rear floor in his van.....of course it was for underfloor storage so we cut a giant hole in the top in the tank.

The tank is made to be a aft mounted water tank for E series motorhomes.

Plastic Mart Sells Ronco tanks and they have lots of sizes on their web page. Some Ronco tanks may not be listed on Plastic Mart's site; it may be worth a call to Ronco directly to see what they make for E-series motor homes; they are located in So Cal.

1der has set up an account directly with Ronco and can probably get you a better price than buying online through Plastic Mart.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #56

** And it's a phenomenal idea. **
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #57

Thanks for the tip on the water tank. Am definitely sticking a tank and possibly the pump under the van. Hope to get the rest of the cabinet boxes built this coming week. Once that is done the van is going up on blocks, to run wiring, reinstall the batteries, and figure out how much space there is to install the water tank between the rear axel and spare tire.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #58

You're moving right along larrie- nice work! Having a big comfortable shop makes this work much more enjoyable. But hey, I've seen people build some cool rigs in way sh_ttier conditions. So there's the upside.

Regarding your water tank setup, just figure out what amount of water you want to carry or how much room you want to dedicate to water and find a tank that fits between the frame rails how you want to set it up. Plasti-mart.com and Tank-depot.com both carry lots of different sizes that will work.

Weight might be a consideration as well at 8.3 lbs/gal for water (gas=6.3, diesel=7).

Here are a couple of other pictures of a setup I ran across while researching water tanks. I forgot who's setup this is... sorry. I'm sure someone will recognize it.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Tank 1.jpg   Water Tank 2.jpg   Water Tank 3.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #59

Running wire over exhaust system

Want to run some wiring from one side of the van to the other over the top of the exhaust heat shield. My plan is to keep the wires tight to the van floor above the heat shield. Can any of you tell me what the exhaust temperature is on a gas engine so I can select the correct insulation rating for the wire?
Old 12-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #60

Interior cabinets

Got the final cabinet box built today and loaded into the van. Still need to build the drawers, apply the finish, and do final positioning to bolt them down. The boxes allow me to mock up the layout to verify that what I was hoping for would actually work. It did.

Cabinets on the driver side showing kitchen counter, two tall cabinets, and half the dinette.

Cabinets on the passenger side with the cabinet for the port-potti, storage and the other half or the dinette.

Cabinets shown from the rear. The open ones on the ends will have drawers accessible from the rear. One will hold recovery gear.

Passenger side with two additional seats. By removing the porta-potti and adjacent storage cabinet we are able to install two additional seats for the grand kids. They are to young to go camping with us now but am planning for the future.

It is also possible to leave the low storage cabinet in place and only add one additional passenger seat.

It is still to cold to apply the contact cement for the insulation so will move on to wiring, and plumbing after the drawers get built.