Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #71

I made the assumption that the double sheet metal wall of the van is the air space. All I know is that is it complete and I have moved on to other van projects. Have had it out once for a few days. It was unite comfortable inside with the windows open and the Fantastic Vent and windows open. Am planning on using vertical grain fir to trim out the hull liner.

Send me a PM if you want to come see it in person. We are in Oregon City.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #72

Compressed air system and locker

Last year I installed an ARB CKMA-24 compressor on the differential side of the frame cross brace towards the passenger side of the carbon filter. As part of the full renovation the compressor need to move to make room for an underfloor water tank. The spare tire is still mounted under the van so space is at a premium. There is just enough room between the passenger frame rail, the cross member and the spare tire to mount the compressor.

The compressor sits up high just below the floor of the van. It is mounted on metal channel framing sections. You can just make out the compressor next to the cross brace to the left of the spare tire.

A Viair one gallon air tank was used to reduce the condensation in the air line. It was tucked up into the vacant space at rear of the van on the passenger side. A Viair manifold was used for the distribution to the air outlets and locker.

The air tank was mounted to two of the existing seat bolt mounting points.

The air outlets got installed in unused portions of the running boards on both sides of the van. Rubber cane tips are used to keep the dust and debris out of the outlets.

Drivers side air outlet.

Passenger side air outlet with rubber cane tip in place.

Finely got the used ARB locker I got from lonepeak installed.

The compressor and locker switches used up most of the available space in the dash. Had to sacrifice one 12v outlet to get the locker switch installed.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #73

Cooking

Took the van out on a shakedown run a few weeks ago. One of the places we stopped was mosquito heaven. They were everywhere. As soon as we walked outside we were swarmed with them. This was good because it gave us a chance to tryout a feature of our kitchen.

It made no sense to us to have two cooking areas, one inside and one outside. We also wanted to maximize counter space so we did not install a stove top. the plan is to do most of the cooking outside. We did add a slide out shelf that is just below the sink and above the drawers. It is big enough to hold our camp stove at just the right height for cooking in case of inclement weather or mosquitos.

One unexpected benefit of this shelf is that it can double as a table.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #74

Electrical System

The interior rebuild required redoing most of the 12v electrical as well. We do not use a microwave so there is no inverter. We just have a 120v shore power to 12v converter with 12 circuits. Andersen Powerpoles were used at all connection points to make removal and reconnection of the converter and other components easy.

Trojan batteries

Back of the converter with Powerpoles

House wiring waiting for converter connection

To keep track of which circuit was which I used wire labels that came from Home Depot.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #75

Garage
Looks like its coming along nicely. Did you get a chance to try out the locker?

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #76

Have not tried out the locker yet. Want to do that in a controlled environment first.

After four days on the road and camping each night the layout is working out better than we expected.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #77

Thule tracks

While doing the remodel I noticed water on the drivers side floor. Tracked it down to the screws holding the Thule tracks to the roof. In the process of taking the tracks off the roof several of the screws broke off. They were standard wood screws that had rusted through.

I patched the holes with fiberglass resin and repainted the area after sanding. Then I cut 1” off the tracks to allow me to relocate the holes. To keep water from collecting under the tracks I cut some 1/16” thick butyl rubber sheet into 1” squares and located them at each screw hole with a dollop of butyl rubber caulk between the track and the rubber sheet. Before installing new stainless steel screws I put a dollop of butyl rubber caulk at each hole. The 1/16” rubber sheet raises the track up enough to allow water to drain and not sit under the track.

The photos shows the position of the rubber sheet.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #78

Almost done

Took the rig out for a week on the Oregon coast and central cascade mountains.
The new interior was a pleasure to be in. My wife really liked the layout and the comfortable sleeping arrangements.

Passenger side showing porta potty cabinet, storage cabinet and dinette.

Drivers side showing galley, tall cabinets, and dinette.

Galley with Norcold fridge/freezer with storage for stove below.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #79

Garage
Nice job, Larrie! I'll bet it was perfect to take to the coast.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #80

Tardis Tiger?

Are you the same folks who used to have a travel blog about the Tardis Tiger?
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote