Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #1

The Fun Bus

Well Here it goes.
After spending months contemplating, realizing the need for change it has happened.
I have just ended my 14 year love affair...... with my 1989 Volkswagon Syncro Vanagon.
As it became harder to put proper car seats into and travel with two kids and a dog, we have been stewing on what to replace it with. I have owned a van of some sort since the late 80s, The Syncro and two other Westphalia air cooled buses. We spent a lot of time thinking different scenarios for something that could take us on trips and still be our my daily driver. This Forum here sealed the deal, Diesel Quigley Ford EB Van. I thanked my wife for not making me buy a truck. and after a few missed purchases (yes the ones i wanted for the right price sold in about 24 hrs), I flew to Santa Barbara and drove home the fun bus. 2004 PDS Quigley EB 12 passenger van. Already had Sportsmobile 46 gallon tank, and sway bar, sound deadening, 2 x DVD, Nice stereo with navigation, Hands free phone set, Amsoil extra filter, tow hitch, American Racing teflon wheels and some other nice extras.
Now after sending the VW to a good new home the serious home building can begin.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1546.jpg  

oliverdpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #2

Re: The Fun Bus

The plan:
Eventually a penthouse top with bunk, (That will have to wait until i accidentally find $6k laying around).
We are going to set it up with four rotating buckets up front, walk through from front to back. A small expandable front table between the seats.
Goucho against the back passenger wall and Galley against the back driver side.
Eventually i will either buy aluminess bumpers or fabricate my own. This van i think will be a good opportunity for me to do a lot of welding/fabricating (already done some).
Planning on Espar heater, LED lights, minimal water system, fridge, microwave, porta-potti, insulation and rubber floor.
Eventually we plan on doing a stripe of graphics (vinyl wrap, ski / bike / mountain theme) from the from the windows down and Rhino-line around the bottoms and over the fender flares.

I already had a bit of important work already done.
First: New Tires, Toyo A/T Open Country 285/75/16. It came with almost bald 305s that rubbed in front and on the slider. (the bald tires had a few sketchy moments on the drive home in February).
Second: The local custom diesel shop did some important work to address 6.0 PSD reliability issues,related to the EGR cooler, lets just this should never cause me trouble again.

We plan to put alot of pics up but i know i cant match WV Van (Hal). You have all been a great inspiration. Thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #3

Congrats! sounds like you've got a plan and a nice starting point.
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

Nice!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

Garage
The Fun Bus

Let fun begin!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #6

Garage

Good for you! I can't recall seeing that van around town. Did you buy it from Jason?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #7

Nice buy!!! What kind of bumper is that?
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #8

1: I bought the van from a Jeff in Lompoch CA but flew to Santa Barbra,
2: The Bumpers are stock shiney chrome and plastic, but have a tough looking pre-runner , tubes and stainless bolted to them front and back. I think the first owner had that done in AZ.

So... one of the first projects that i quickly realized needed to happen was some sort of house system electrical. My old van had a deep cell just for interior lights and the stereo and a few extra 12v outlets.
Quickly realize that you cant loan your new van to a friend to move, have him let his kids watch movies for an hour and then expect the van to start. could have been that the alternator was going out too and not giving a full charge.
And thus started the first fabrication. While ERG was being deleted, we installed a new 200 amp alternator and i built a nice box for a L4 AGM battery behind the rear differential. A large tray that mounts between the frame rails with forward facing rock deflector. Main support is 1/4 x 4" angle iron. and just to lift it into place had to weld a jack tray.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1702.jpg   IMG_1703.jpg  
Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #9

the battery tray for the Jack. Before i use it again will make an oposite side to bolt together.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1705.jpg   IMG_1706.jpg  
Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Site Team

Well that didn't take long before you started with the mods.

Keep us posted.

Herb