Havenít posted updates in a while, but Iíve been hard at work.
Finished framing the wheel well boxes with 8020. The driver side will be the home of a water tank and heater eventually.
Both boxes got skinned in 3/8 birch ply, then covered in the same coin material as the floor.
The aluminum l-metal at the top serves as the foundation for a three panel removable bed system. I had a local fab guy make me three identical frames out of 1Ē aluminum square tubing.
Each panel has a retractable spring pin on both short sides that index into holes in the aluminum l-metal on the wheel well boxes that keep everything in place.
Next I got a 4Ē foam mattress topper from Amazon, cut it onto three equal pieces and upholstered to 3/8 plywood panels that got attached to the aluminum frames. I was in the zone and didnít get any pictures of this step of the process.
Hereís the almost finished, but useable end result.
Panels in place.
Panels stowed. I ended up storing two panels end to end on the driver side as to not eat up to much width in the van.
All the toys with a comfortable bed in tow. Nice to get up off the floor!!
I need to finish the tops for the wheel well boxes and break down the bed panels and l-metal to get it all powder coated, but Iím happy with the outcome. Iíve already got about a dozen nights in the bed so far this summer.