Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by B350 View Post
Thanks for the your comments guys. Appreciate it!

Ok, so while the slow van build continues there is a deadline and goal in mind because... We are going to live out of Vantasi starting the end of June. We basically have everything in motion to start traveling full time for a year or more starting with Banff then heading into the NW, down the West Coast, into Baja by late '17 early '18, over to mainland Mexico and on further south into Central and South America from there. That's the grand plan anyway!

My girlfriend and I have our last day of employment at the end of the month. I must add, we both have or had great jobs but, the desire for adventure and a longing to experience the things we want while we still can is something we could no longer ignore. With house for rent, all those "useful" things we squirreled away sold on Craigslist and our departure from our jobs this is all getting quite real in a hurry.

So, the van HAS to get finished soon!
Excellent. Some of us will be in Baja in mid-November to watch the Baja1000 and have a memorial for Ramsey. Come on down!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #102

Money comes and goes, time only goes. Van is looking awesome and have an amazing adventure!

Some of my best times were living out of my Chevy S10 for two summers.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #103

Quote:
Thanks for the your comments guys. Appreciate it!

Ok, so while the slow van build continues there is a deadline and goal in mind because... We are going to live out of Vantasi starting the end of June. We basically have everything in motion to start traveling full time for a year or more starting with Banff then heading into the NW, down the West Coast, into Baja by late '17 early '18, over to mainland Mexico and on further south into Central and South America from there. That's the grand plan anyway!
Great build, and nice job on the cabinets. When you head South from Banff, give us a shout. I can offer minor repairs or upgrades, showers, and a few beers if needed. Our summer travel plans are still up in the air, but we may be near by in Anacortes Wa. Otherwise, feel free to join us in Baja in November. Further info will be posted on the Memorial for Ramsey thread as we get closer. Congratulations on quitting your jobs, you won't regret it. Adventure awaits.....................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #104

The last month has been a busy one! I think we are adapting to not being employed quite well. It's not really that hard except that I put in more hours working on the van than during a regular work week. Add to that renting out my house, loading personal belongings and moving everything to my parents where we will hole up for the month of June to finish the van. In Minnesota the saying is, "uffda."
The last week was consumed by packing and moving but, the 2 weeks prior we were able to finish the cabinetry getting 2 good coats of poly down, the cabinets installed and plumbing started.

Sanding. Lots of sanding...
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg   FullSizeRender(1).jpg   FullSizeRender(2).jpg   FullSizeRender(3).jpg   FullSizeRender(4).jpg  

Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #105

A few more cabinetry pics. We chose a somewhat industrial style look with the hardware and aluminum trim. The first two pics are the pantry drawers. Then, the end of the counter top cabinet with switch panel, inverter control, outlet and step. The folding step is the cat's meow to get up into the penthouse.
Christi made the sweet mosquito netting for the barn doors attaching it with some high end hook and loop at the top and strong fancy neodymium magnets around the edges. For not having any sewing experience she did a dang nice job.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantry.jpg   PantryLatch.jpg   Switches.jpg   IMG_7111.jpg   Screen.jpg  

Old 05-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #106

Cabinets look really nice!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:16 AM   #107

Everything looks great. Keep it up!
mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #108

Thanks for all the compliments guys!
Here's a pic for throw back Thursday. Found it in a file cabinet at my parents'. I bought the van sight unseen from a contractor in Ohio back in early 2001. I think I found it on Autotrader back then, contacted the seller, sent $200 as a deposit to hold the van and got a ride out there from MN with my dad. It had about an inch of dust on the dash and has since gone through three transformations this one being the most major. It will be cool to take this thing to new places and new adventures over the next year.
Attached Thumbnails
VanOld.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #109

How many of you got sick of working on your van at some point? In the last month I reached that point several times. I'm fortunate enough to be able to work on my van everyday so we can start living in it. But, its a marathon at a snail's pace. And that pace gets old.
Things are getting done though. Most of the plumbing except for the sink and faucet are installed. All the wiring is done and working. The closed loop heat and hot water Espar hydronic system just needs a coolant reservoir and its finished too.

The first pic is the jungle of red hose and hose clamps for the Espar Hydronic D5 and hydronic cabin air heater. The three valves will allow the cabin heater to be closed out of the hot coolant loop in the summer and opened when temps fall enough to need it. The fans for the cabin heater are on a thermostat controlling when they turn on and off.

From there it runs to the Whale 3 gallon water heater which will supply hot water for the shower and sink. In theory, this should all work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7184.jpg   WaterHeater.jpg   shower.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #110

Quote:
How many of you got sick of working on your van at some point?
I never get sick of it. I get short term burnout on working on anything in my shop or around the house but I just take some time and reboot and I'm good.
A deadline for a trip that I want to take it on usually kicks me into high gear.

You're close and you've done some great work. It will pay off soon.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote