Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I never get sick of it. I get short term burnout on working on anything in my shop or around the house but I just take some time and reboot and I'm good.
A deadline for a trip that I want to take it on usually kicks me into high gear.

You're close and you've done some great work. It will pay off soon.

You're right Scotty, its more getting burnt out than sick of it. I won't know what to do with myself the next 4 days when new rear springs, a flywheel, locking diff and 4.10 ring and pinion are being installed. t
And thanks!

Old 06-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #112

In the electrical department, two Lifeline 4D AGM batteries will power everything in the van:

Porch lights - led
Multi color awning lights - led
Gaucho lights - led
Sink lights - led
Xantrex 1000 watt inverter
Shurflo water pump
ARB air compressor
Stereo and amplifier
Nova Kool fridge
Espar Hydronic D5
Real cabin heater fans
Pop top
Roof fan

There are two 100 watt Renogy solar panels on the roof that feed through a MPPT 20A charge controller. Being most everything has pretty minimal draw the solar should supply enough power to the battery bank that starting the van daily will not be necessary. I did install a higher amp Nations alternator too just for good measure.
Attached Thumbnails
Batt1.jpg   BlueSea.jpg   Electrical.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #113

Dang! It's been a long and busy 2 months since my last update. In the meantime, I, we lived at my parents' place, finished the van, had a big birthday celebration for my parents and just last week hit the road full time.

To just say we finished the van would be too easy. There were lots of details to finish and a few challenges too before calling it good.

The first challenge was building a rear storage box swing-out with bicycle carrier to work with the stock bumper. Easy concept just not that easy to have a local fabrication shop do right without babysitting. After the first go not working out at all I spent the day at the shop to help and supervise. We now have a seriously modified dry box and bicycle carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7432.jpg   IMG_7638.jpg   IMG_7639.jpg   IMG_7640.jpg   IMG_7732.jpg  

IMG_7734.jpg  
B350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #114

Another part of the equation was a new set of rear springs from WeldTec, an OX locking differential, which required new 35 spline axles and a new 4.10 ring and pinion.

Just before tending to all this I checked on why the starter would sporadically not engage. Pulling the housing off the ring gear revealed what little teeth were actually left on the ring gear after 17 years. No push starting an automatic... So, a new ring gear was installed while on the lift for all the rear end work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7496.jpg   IMG_7493.jpg   IMG_7535.jpg   IMG_7547.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #115

As much as I like my van, I love 2 wheels. Going on this extended road trip without my moto bike was not an option. As you may have noticed in a previous pic, the motorcycle is on the back.
I took a hydraulic motorcycle carrier made by Ultimate MX Hauler and modified it a bit to hopefully better suite what we are going to encounter which will no bet highway commuting. My brother and I fabricated a hitch riser to get the carrier and motorcycle up off the ground and in towards the rear storage box as far as possible.
In the stock hitch location the motorcycle's wheels were only 14" off the ground which is no bueno for any sort of an approach angle. We got the whole thing up in far enough so that the motorcycle's wheels are higher than the bumper.
It's a good thing too because I've already needed every inch of approach angle the last few days here in the Little Belt Mountains in MT.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7641.jpg   IMG_7732.jpg   IMG_7748.jpg  
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #116

Nice job on the rack. Thing looks good. Don't think I'd be able to leave the bike(s) behind either. Any finished shots of the interior?
mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #117

Garage
Killer setup, B350!

Is that an Ultimate MX Hauler you're using? Sorry if it's mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't read through the whole thing. The reason I ask is because I have one of those and wanted to add a rear tire carrier, but I'm concerned about clearance between my bike/tire. I run 285 75/16s, and have a Yamaha WR250R.

Thanks,

capn
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #118

Send a message via AIM to illking
Curious how the UMX hauler is working for you offroad. Ive been wanting one for a long time but a friend of mine had one he picked up used and it was very wobbly offroad and even on bumps on the highway. It could be that it was used and abused.
illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkurt View Post
Killer setup, B350!

Is that an Ultimate MX Hauler you're using? Sorry if it's mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't read through the whole thing. The reason I ask is because I have one of those and wanted to add a rear tire carrier, but I'm concerned about clearance between my bike/tire. I run 285 75/16s, and have a Yamaha WR250R.

Thanks,

capn
Capn, I have the same exact setup you described and have no clearance issues. I have a stock bumper with Aluminess rear tire carrier on driver's side and a ladder on passenger side.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #120

Garage
Just reread this thread from the beginning and I think its awesome what you have accomplished. Congratulations on hitting the road full time, have fun!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote