Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #91

Garage
Boywonder - The frugal side (along with my wife) of me says that I should go and just figure it out and hang onto these components already installed and under the vehicle. The other side of me is telling me to upgrade to the Dana 60 (like advanced thought was under it in the first place), get bigger brakes, keep the same tight turning radius and throw it all on with MG's brackets. I am also needing to replace the leaf springs and shocks as well as they seem pretty worn. Since I would much rather feel safer (bigger brakes),more solid cruising down the road (dana 60) and the biggest factor which is having mainly Ford parts under my Ford van, I think I am going to go that route, so stay tuned if your interested in MG's "kit". I appreciate you, as well as other guys, making sure I am aware of the less expensive options though.

So after all of the stuff I have figured out lately with this van I have come to the realization that I probably could have paid the dealer around 15k instead of 17,500. Since I wasn't able to drive it and my wife wasn't too happy about me getting a new van I didnt get to feel the play in the front end (first mistake) and on top of that it was raining (portland) and I didn't get under the vehicle too much to see the craziness going on. Nothing that is going to hurt anyone but I probably could have talked them down some more.

Live and learn or stay dumb and keep paying for it ha ha. So just like my favorite HGTV show "Fixer Upper" I am going to view this as an opportunity to make something amazing.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #92

Garage
When I first went to look at the vehicle we open the door and this is what see...

I ask the dealer what it is and he gets a confused look on his face and says he has no idea. Totally cool not a big deal, probably just something dumb the PO did. Then as I am crawling around under the van moving the rear bench seat back I come across this...

What the hell is going on here and why doesn't this attach to anything so I keep looking and hit up Carringb about it and thats when we figure out we think its an aftermarket cruise. Why it would have that when it doesn't need to we don't know but it does. BTW it also had the legit cruise installed thats why this one was not attached.

So I do some more looking and find this box and then all of these wires under the dash...

Old 04-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #93

Garage
So I trace back the wires and they go to the box. The box was super secure and took all of 2 seconds to cut the ties and rip it off the bracket...

and then I trace back the wire to under the gas pedal and remove that. While I was at it I also removed those Hella lights from the front. Not only did I hate that they were yellow but I also came across a section in the Ford builders manual for this van that says that area should not be blocked because it is the airflow for the radiator. If I wasn't having issues with my AC not being as cold as I like I wouldn't have cared but since I am, they were removed. After removing everything involved here is what I came out with, everything except the light wiring was non functional stuff sitting on the van. The minimalist in me was glad to see it off...

Also, if you have ever wondered how a guy in a wheelchair can get up into the engine compartment of a big ass van this is one way...

This van sure would look sweet with an 8" lift!

Old 04-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #94

[QUOTE=shenrie;173287] theres no way in hell ill use them unless its an emergency situation and there are no other choices. seen and heard way too many stories of people getting ripped off. QUOTE]

Interesting, I was there a couple weeks ago to have two tires mounted and while waiting for my bill, I heard two different people on the phone telling customers that they needed new tie rod ends and the car wasn't safe to drive. Then a third told a customer they needed new ball joints. All three had the prices at their fingertips and tried to hard sell them. All this took place as I waited for them to make up my bill, (less than ten minutes). It's amazing that they get so many in at the same time, what are the chances of that?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #95

Garage
Arctictraveller - that's is a funny coincidence... Either way they aren't getting my money. I have a frame and axle place right up the road (pace-way) that must be good because they are always slammed and they were able to get me in today to take a look. I'll be sure to keep you all updated!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #96

Garage
Alright so I got it back from Pace-Way frame and axle. Awesome guys that understand I don't have money to dump into this setup as I am planning to swap but want it to be drivable.

They said that the ball joints on the right were worn and that if I was going to go offloading or cross country they would want to swap them out but if not then I could continue to drive with them safely. They also said that while they were worn they didn't understand why it couldn't be aligned. Goes back to the Les Schwab conspiracy theory.

He also mentioned that when he drove it before aligning it he thought the alignment was way off, but when they got it into the shop it was just the toe out that need to be adjusted. So they poked around some more and he said when the steering was was manipulated back and forth he saw the whole differential moving back and forth. He also thought it odd that when they did the conversion they mounted the one bar (forgot what its called) to the crossmember instead of the frame like its usually done. He said that he thought maybe that was contributing to some odd driving characteristics but that the ball joints weren't helping either way.

So I got it aligned and now I feel better driving it for the next month or so while I wait for the 2014 Axle conversion parts to start rolling in...

Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #97

Garage
I also finished getting the floor laid down...

Incase you didn't see from before I have decided to try using the "horse stall mat" or "crossfit gym mat" on the floor of the van. Nothing underneath because I dont want to trap any moisture more than I have to. My reasoning behind using this stuff (180$) instead of ordering the vantred (250) is this...

This Rubber Mat is ideal for agricultural, commercial and sporting uses. The anti-skid surface is safe and comfortable. Mats can be cut or interlocked, glued or fastened to any surface. An ideal rubber mat for horse stalls, barn flooring, gyms, garages, maintenance areas, workstations, or arena flooring.
4 ft. x 6 ft. x 3/4 in.
Heavy-duty 100% recycled rubber
Insulating properties
Noise and vibration absorbent
Surface pattern may vary by location
5 year limited warranty

Not only that the stuff is Heavy duty. I plan to use my van similar to the way someone would use a pickup truck with a camper on the back (what I had before).

I will keep you all up to date on the difference now that I have the floor fully covered.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #98

Garage
New information has come to light... Man...

After talking with my grandfather and telling him about the "aftermarket cruise control" he told me it wasn't cruise control. It was a throttle lock, which makes way more sense. So if you find one of these on your vehicle it's not for cruising it's for running the rpms up when your parked so the clutch fan will spin faster. Or at least that's what it was intended for when it was initially released, I haven't looked to see if this engine has a clutch fan or an electrical fan.

Just wanted to let you guys know!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #99

Hmmm throttle lock doesn't make much sense to me. I know all big trucks get them, but high-idle can be enabled by adding a single switch and a resistor (resistor value determined idle speed). Your tan van is has a viscous/hydraulic clutch. Basically a thermostat inside opens an oil path which spins the fan so high idle can improve cooling. But adding a throttle -cable actuator in a drive-by-wire system isn't the right way to do it IMO.

I kinda disagree that you can do a proper alignment on worn balljoints. Any time the ball joint shifts, your alignment shifts too. You could ballpark it and just pick a spot, but I wouldn't really call that 'proper'.

Floor looks great BTW! Are you happy with the sound reduction with it?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #100

Garage
Carringb - I never said it would have made sense for them to add that kind of throttle lock onto it when they could have done something simpler but I am pretty sure thats what it was. It would also explain the sensor next to the rear driveshaft, which I am assuming as soon as it recognized movement it would release the pedal. I dunno I could be totally wrong either way but its fun to guess.

Ya, he never said it would be a "proper alignment" but he said he aligned it to last me at least another couple months so I could drive it while I was getting ready to swap the parts out. It is definitely alot easier to drive, still a little rough but alot better.

The mats are sweet. I honestly dont know if it reduced the sound even though I am sure it did because nothing else on my van has been sound proofed so its like a wind tunnel in there. I am sure once I get the roof and walls done that its going to be extra quiet in there. I like them the most because of how solid they feel while still being comfortable, I could sleep on them if I wanted to (but I can also sleep on the floor at home so thats not saying much)