Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #131

Garage
Last night I got the front Fox shocks in... it, just like everything else so far, was a circus.

Old shock -

So I start to remove the old Ranchos and the bolt on the top of the shock decides it just wants to freeze up. Not wanting to deal with that for too long I just pull out the angle grinder and cut it cleanly. Then I look at the stem that was on the ranchos vs the stem that is on the fox and the fox stem is bigger. Pull out the drill, make the hole larger and now the stem fits. Thats done.

Then I go to mount the bottom eyelet and realize I dont have enough room to slide it on without removing the "Proprietary" lower shock mount from the ubolts. I attempted to try to remove the bolt so I wouldn't have to undo the ubolt but it wasn't happening and the ubolt was surprisingly easy to get off so the bracket came off.

Go to slide the shock onto the bolt and of course. The bolt is big enough in diameter to act as a sleeve inside the bushing of the Rancho, well Fox doesn't need that because it already has a sleeve. I then proceed to try to hammer the Fox sleeve out with the bracket/bolt, basically drive it through. Not happening.

So off comes the bolt and off I go to the hardware store to get the 1/2" bolt so I can put them back on. Oh and in order to go to the store I need to borrow my wife's Yukon, which she won't let me in until I wash off and change clothes...

Finally I get everything back together by midnight for a job that I thought was going to take me 1 hour max. I almost didnt buy new shocks for the front because I figured that the Ranchos were probably fine, they are a good shock right? Well they may be, but not when one doesn't hold any pressure and the other I can hear leaking.

Needless to say I am very excited to drive somewhere this morning because I think this may be the final piece to the puzzle for getting my advanced kit to drive like it probably should in the first place.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #132

My Advanced conversion has the same setup for the lower shock mount....haven't changed the Ranchos out yet....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #133

Garage
Boywonder - I dont know how many miles you have on your ranchos but if I were you I would swap them out anyway. The Fox shocks are considerably lighter. I seriously think they were half the weight of the Ranchos, it was so noticeable that as soon as I got the rancho off and held it I was like no way.

I am also not a fan of the variable adjust. Ya its all cool in theory but I dont know how well it actually works and just see it as an easy thing to cause problems and lead to failure.

If you are going to keep the Advanced kit then I would look into the 4" lower shock mount plates that Ujoint sells and see if you can make those work. You may just need to get some lower Ubolt plates, or you may already have them (I dont). I thought about doing it myself because with the Fox 985-24-008 it would work fine but I didn't want to put anymore money into this front end then I have to if I am just gonna swap it anyway.

Side note - The Fox 985-24-008 shocks are the universal shocks but by swapping out the eyelet bushings (to bigger ID) they transform into the 980-24-677 which is used on 2011-15 F250s. Which means I can use them once I swap the axle over...

Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #134

We put the Rancho 9000 adjustables on my brother's Expy about 12 years ago. They still work! Even the adjustment part, and his has in-cab controls. It's actually great for a lighter vehicle that tows, but they IMO they don't have enough dampening for anything heavier than a 1/2-ton.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #135

Garage
Carringb - Nice! I have never ran them before so I don't have any experience with them, at least not when they function correctly ha ha. I am actually surprised at how well the van was driving with the drivers side acting as a paper weight. I am also wondering if the lack of shock up front is one of the reasons my van was swaying so much. I am seriously trying to figure out where I need to go this morning just so I can go for a ride ha ha.

Also! If anyone in the PNW is looking to get their fox shocks revalved for whatever you think you want more or less of. Hit up Marks Sand Trans in Forest Grove and he can take care of you. Super nice guy and he also usually has shocks in stock (for a good price).

Old 05-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #136

Garage
Just went and picked up a couple things this morning...

Got a set of 17" stock F250 wheels (I always liked them) and a 2008 E350 55 gallon tank. Once again I have confirmed my love for the stall mats in the back. The forklift just put the tank in the back and I wasn't worried one bit about the floor.

Getting it out wasn't too bad. Here is how I went about doing it.

Now I just have to wait for MG to work his magic...

Old 05-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #137

Did you pick up the corresponding cross-members? Or will you be using MG's new crossmember for that tank?
Old 05-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #138

Garage
I was just planning on using MG's.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #139

Garage
Good Saturday Morning everyone,

I just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone is interested. I would like to swap out my chrome grille and headlights for the painted black ones that normally come on the base vans. I would also trade the chrome bumpers as well if you have the black ones and the rear bumper has the backup sensors. Ideally I would want it to be someone near Portland, OR.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:32 AM   #140
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
If nothing emerges from your request here I'd suggest maybe new aftermarket pieces and have them painted whatever variation of black you'd like to have: flat, semi-gloss or full gloss.

I've seen those all over eBay but your local Keystone/Action parts seller would most likely have good deals too.

Depending on your rattle can spraying skills this could also be a DIY driveway project.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote