Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #171

Garage
Ok sorry for such a long pause between the "To be continued" and this post.

Basically if you didn't figure it out, the photos above are me installing Ujoints Drag link setup on my van. I was really hoping that that was all I would need to make this front end feel exactly the way I wanted but unfortunately it didn't. I am still having steering issues and I think its because the leaf springs are actually allowing the axle to move ever so slightly to the left and right which makes me have to counter steer the opposite direction that the road is leaning.

Either way I have decided I am going to just go for it and Install MG's kit on here as soon as its ready to go. I have tried to make this front end work as you guys have seen but its just not panning out and I am ready to upgrade the brakes anyway. Too many scary moments slamming on the brakes and not stopping as quick as I want to has ultimately convinced me to go with a newer ford front axle.

There is good news though, MY REAR SPRINGS FINALLY GOT TO ME!! I ordered them from UJoint back on April 18th and it took a while but I got them and installed them and am glad I went through all the pain and suffering of waiting.

Here is them on the way home from Salem (not thrilled that I had to drive there when PDX was closer but it is what it is).

Here is them installed, If nothing else they just look awesome under there.

Not the greatest photo but the rear is definitely higher than it was with just the block.

My Initial reaction when driving was the holy crap moment when I realized how loud my rear springs were before I did the swap. Not hearing all of the squeaking and carrying on when going around corners felt a little weird.

Once I had moved past that great feat I realized that the van was so much smoother when being put into drive and reverse and the shifting felt more seamless. I didn't realize how much axle wrap was going on with those blocks and actually thought something was wrong with the drivetrain. Oh and yes for some reason they had welded the blocks into place so they couldn't move which made removing them annoying but I have come to expect such things when working on this van.

Lastly the ride is super smooth, it still hits hard going over the train tracks but its not as jarring as it was before. I just asked for the same specs as the stock springs just with more lift when ordering them so they aren't any stiffer than what stock was which is nice.

So to sum it all up. If you have blocks in the rear, putting these rear springs in is definitely something you should consider.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #172

Nice! Maybe I missed it but where did the rear springs come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #173

Garage
Thanks! Sorry about missing that, they came from Atlas Spring via UJoint.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #174

Garage
Alright so if you have been following along from the start you know that I have been fairly dissatisfied with the Advanced conversion that is on this van. I knew going into this when I bought the van that I would want to swap the front end out. Unfortunately life happens and things get put on hold because money doesn't grow on trees. Well the money tree still isn't growing but I found a bush out back.

After a lot of hard work and trying to diagnose the front end so that I could "make it work" I have finally pulled the trigger on a 2013 F250 Front axle assembly. First reaction was HOLY BRAKES! They are massive, maybe its just because its not on the vehicle but I can't wait to feel them in action.

Here she is...

I got a good deal on it from a Junkyard in sacramento and had it shipped to me up here in Hillsboro. It appears to have brand new rotors so I am pretty excited about that because when you buy an axle with 65k miles from a junkyard you never know what your gonna get.

Stay tuned to see the transformation that will become the Tan Hot Dog 2.0!

BTW Whats everyone on here running on their 17" wheels, 285/70?

Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post

BTW Whats everyone on here running on their 17" wheels, 285/70?
That's what I'm running...slight rubbing even after trimming......

If you have 17" wheels, you'll have no worries about squeezing those brakes in.....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #176

I've got 285 x 70s on my Quigley and I don't notice any rubbing. It's a size I like. Good luck with the swap!
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #177

16" rims should also work with these brakes.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #178

Garage
BoyWonder - Yep I got a set of 17s because thats the smallest that comes with these axles stock. Just gotta put some rubber on them...

WhitH - Thanks! I am excited to get something newer than a 1979 Dana 44 under my van!

Abitibi - I am pretty sure 16s won't fit. Unless something changed at some point, when I had a 2011 F250 the 17" rim was the smallest that would work. Nowadays good luck finding any that have anything smaller than 18" rims on an F250.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 PM   #179

I could be wrong but I stopped by Agile's shop and they had 16" rims mounted on an axle with their big brake option (13.66 diameter rotor). Coming from a rain forest and spending so much time on the beach these last few weeks maybe the sun has hit me too hard and I got it all wrong

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #180

These rotors are 14.29"
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote