Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #201

Garage
Front Suspension Swap Day is almost here...

Got the brackets cleaned up and painted...

Went over to costco and got my new BFG KO2s (285/70r17) mounted onto a set of 17" rims I've always liked from when I owned an F250...

I just gotta go grab some small stuff from an auto store and then tomorrow evening I am ripping out...gently... the Advanced conversion from 1979...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #202

Garage
I'm just gonna leave this here as a teaser...

Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #203

A lot of win right there! Love the stance!

Overall, the swap has gone really well. Jsweezy and I had to remove a lot of welded parts from the Advanced conversion and that took half the morning (and several cut-off wheels and grinding discs). Drilling holes for the mounts doesn't take that long when you have the right drill bits and good cutting fluid. The pitman arm was on there pretty good too. Getting that to pop off is probably the hardest thing about this process.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #204

Looks sweet! I've always thought a lifted EB looks better than a lifted RB.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #205

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Looks sweet! I've always thought a lifted EB looks better than a lifted RB.
Thanks! I'm loving the way it's turning out.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #206

Garage
Alright! It's driveable, only took really one day if you don't count all of the removal of the Advanced stuff. I want to do a full write up about the suspension but I need to drive it more so I don't leave anything out. It's definitely nice.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #207

Nice! Congrats.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #208

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bknudtsen View Post
Nice! Congrats.
Thanks! It's so much better than my Advanced suspension, it's almost like I time warped from 1979 - 2013 ha ha.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #209

Garage
Initial Review of MG's suspension.

I thought it would be cool to do this before I logged too many miles and forgot what the initial feeling of driving with this new suspension felt like.

So just to recap this is what has all been added to this van.
Front - 2013 F250 Dana 60, MG's 4" Kit, Performance Series Fox Shocks
Rear - 4" Ujoint Lift Springs, Universal Performance Series Fox Shocks, Rear Spacers/Adapters

First let me start by posting some photos...

Alright so as you can see. The van looks awesome. The van is parked on a slight incline (going up at the rear) so it does have a slight rake to it, but I am still expecting the rear springs to settle more. Even if they don't, I really like the rake. I also like how the front and rear axle widths line up almost perfectly with the body. I have never really cared for the fender flares and like to keep everything as tight as possible so this suits me perfectly. The 17s are SNUG around the caliper, but they do fit like they should. The only reason I would go with 18" wheels is if I had 35s (which I actually think I could fit with this 4" lift)

Let me start by saying we did an alignment as best as we could without an alignment machine and its almost dead on. I can't wait to see how much better it is with an alignment.

The handling is unreal, corners have little to no sway and I am sure with some revalving of the shocks (adding some dampening) you could take a corner as fast as you wanted and have no body roll. The van feels extremely stable and planted, it was a little harsh with some of the bigger bumps but I think thats because my tires weren't aired down properly, I dont know what van weighs now with the new axle so I am waiting to do that before setting correct pressures.

The biggest thing that I think its amazing is that I dont have a steering damper attached to the drag link and I dont think I will need it. The steering is firm and very responsive and it tracks straight. Not as straight as it could due to the crown on the roads, but once I have a proper alignment done I am sure it will.

Basically its firm but soft, which I think is what we are all really after.

I wanted to be able to provide something I would change about the system for you all, but I am having a hard time with that. I am sure I will think of and come up with something the more I drive it.

OH and I have absolutely no rubbing or even close to rubbing with the 285/70/17s. If you refer to the photo of the side shot of the front you can see I have a ton of room behind the tire.

I know this all sounds like one of those too good to be true first customer reviews but I am not hiding anything. MG wanted me to be as critical as possible so he can further improve the system and I plan to do so but as of now I am very happy.

I am sure there is something I am missing so feel free to ask me questions!

Old 07-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #210

Garage
SSTOOOOOOPPPP!!!

Holy smokes I almost forgot the biggest improvement about the whole dang thing. The BRAKES!

These things straight up stop. Like barely hit the pedal and your done, I am glad I dont have to worry about sliding into anyone anymore like I almost did before thanks to those last minute right hand turners.

Seriously though, these brakes are the biggest reason to even consider this axle, they work great.