Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
2013+ F250 and F350 Super Duty if you want to be sure to have the big brakes come with it. SRW. Not wide track.

If you're going for a low-miles take out, try to get the complete front including radius arms, all the bolts, tie rods, drag link. Don't need springs or the trac bar. Call the wrecking yard that lists the axle and talk to them about just dropping out the complete front. It should be easy for them to disconnect the springs, trac bar, drag link, brake lines and radius arms and put the whole thing on a pallet. The steering parts and radius arms aren't huge sellers for salvaged parts so getting them included with your axle purchase should be an easy negotiation and probably not much more $ involved.

Sweeeeeeet...Thanks for all the quick answers! That was everything! Rewiring the ABS connectors won't be a problem. With my background in aircraft electronics and my roommate who wires super high end hot rods for a living, it won't be an issue.

It looks like 4.30 gearing was an option on these axles I'll be searching for. If I could find one of those, that would save the regearing cost in the front axle as well. You are going with 4.10 and many of the UJOR rigs are running 4.56 when going 6"/35". 4.30 should be rocking. I would imagine getting a 4.30 for my rear won't be a problem to match, correct? I haven't googled yet. I also haven't looked at the data plate on my rear to know exactly what I have yet since I have only had the van for a few weeks.

I'm sold. I'm ordering an axle and going this route over the UJOR front end. I'll order the rear spring pack, gas tank mod, and a few other things from UJOR. This is my future front end though. I'll reach out to you after I get off the Main Salmon River in a week and you can expect an order to be placed probably by the end of August.

Soooooooo excited!!!

Jsweezy, THANK YOU for being the "lead customer"! Super stoked you did this and wrote this thread. I'll be writing a build thread for my van when I get going on it.

Backcountry Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #222

Garage
Hey, No problem. I am just glad this thread is helping others like I wanted it to. I really didn't think it would turn into an MG kit sales pitch but I can't help it if the product is that good.

Btw I still don't have any steering dampener and haven't felt any death wobble. And believe me, I'm pounding on it pretty good. I don't think MG would approve of some of the hard hits it's taken so early on, but nothing is off or sounds funny.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #223

Sounds like it is working well. Happy to hear you're satisfied. Just don't go airborne until we get those Advanced bump stops out and the proper ones in.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #224

Looks fantastic!

I have to say, it's pretty satisfying when you start with being dissatisfied with some aspect of performance, make some big changes, then get to realize a big improvement!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #225

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Looks fantastic!

I have to say, it's pretty satisfying when you start with being dissatisfied with some aspect of performance, make some big changes, then get to realize a big improvement!
Ha ha ya, its definitely taken my wanting to drive to a whole new level because before anytime i would drive it, it was like the stuff bothering me was nagging the whole way.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #226

Garage
Ok everyone, quick update.

So unlike the rest of the world, I apparently need instructions on the installation of rear leaf springs mailed with the springs.

When I put them in initially, I didnt take into account the angle of everything in the air vs on the ground. So when I tightened everything down whenever I did it, it was all jacked up and making alot of noise that sounded like it was all jacked up.

So this is for everyone like me that has an E350.

When installing rear leaf springs, park on level surface and remove the old stuff that you plan to replace. Install the springs onto the frame loosely. Don't tighten any bolts. Then place the axle under the leaf springs, lower the van onto them and make sure everything lines up, attach the Ubolts onto the axle and the leaf springs loosely. lower some more and once at ride height, torque the Ubolt nuts in an X pattern (front left, Rear right, Rear left, Front right) eventually ending up with all of the Ubolt nuts at 166 lbs. Then torque the front bolt attaching the leaf springs to the frame to 258lbs and both of the rear shackle bolts to 98lbs.

After doing all of that myself everything is riding smooth and there are no more sounds that there shouldn't be.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #227

Garage
Advanced to MG

Alright, all of this Advanced Conversion swap talk has got me ready to post up what exactly took place the other day to the Tan Hot Dog.

First thing I did was remove the Advanced Front end the night before MG was supposed to come over to help me do the swap.

Here is a photo of the rear front leaf shackle... not sure how to word it but you get the idea...

Advanced Dana 44 removed...

And POOF!

Once all of that was removed I had to cut and grind out where the leafs had been attached at the rear and then get the Dana 60 ready to go in.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #228

Garage
The next day, MG showed up wearing a Cape and we got started.

First thing to do was remove the top of the old stock shocks that Advanced decided would take too long to unscrew... REALLY?! Then we had to cut out/ grind where the coil spring was going to seat (like it is on the stock vans) because thats where Advanced had welded a washer in so it could be used to hold a shock.

MG at work... More than just a pretty face...

What it looked like to start (on the Passengers side)...

What it looked like after MG got done (on the Drivers side)...

Then we had to address where the Trac Bar mount was supposed to go that Advanced had welded and reinforced.
Before -

After -

With Trac bar mount -

Next up was attaching the Radius Arm Brackets to the Frame. Super easy job with a right angle drill, some new bits and good cutting oil. It only took me about 30 minutes each side.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #229

Garage
Once all that was done it was time to install the Dana 60 Axle.
MG checking it out...

Drivers side -

And now, how she sits today...

Once again I am extremely happy with how things turned out and I have yet to have any issues with clearances or "death wobble" and I haven't added anything other than what you see in the photos.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Once all that was done it was time to install the Dana 60 Axle.
MG checking it out...
This is a great shot! Even though the suspension is way past its actual droop limit, the trac bar and drag link are dead-on parallel. It took hours of thinking and manipulating CAD models to get that to happen and have no interference with the pitman arm and other steering components. Over the course of the last several months, I've put a ton of effort into engineering this kit so that it is easy to install and above all else, it has really good suspension geometry for this application. I've seen recent pictures of another vendor's coil conversion and it is obvious that they put very little effort into the trac bar placement and they'll have interference issues between the trac bar and axle because of it.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote