Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
You get around and just get stuff done for a person with a disability. This is both humbling and encouraging. Said simply, I'm impressed.
I'm impressed too......curious how you actually pull it off.....I'm assuming that you heave-ho yourself onto the various rolling boxes you've shown in the pics to work on (or under) the van.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #252

Hi Josh,
What does the routing of your exhaust look like from the driver's side of the motor around the T-case/tranny? While under my van and looking at the where the T-case is gonna sit, it's going to have to change direction. Since you got that fancy lift an' all, next time you are under there would you mind snapping a photo for me to visualize what the route is going to be? My T-case ships from U-joint this coming week. I'd ask MG, but his van has that new fancy big exhaust for the Cummins and I don't think it's going to look the same. I've got the V10 like you. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #253

Garage
86Scotty - Thanks! You totally just made my day. Sometimes I wonder why I even update this thing and then I remembered that its threads like mine with random photos of small accomplishments that got me going in the first place.

The 4" lift is actually more like 7" with the 33s because you have to think about the 4" lift being with stock tires as 4"s and once you throw 33s on there increase the height by that much. Ramsey helped me to figure that one out when I was first trying to see how tall my van was gonna be at the beginning stages of this whole mess.

I dont take that the wrong way at all! I appreciate it! My family instilled a lot of good work ethic when I was young and then the Marines helped to solidify it and taught me how to be resourceful so now I just keep rolling along...see what I did there...and don't look back.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #254

Garage
Boywonder - Ha ha you would be surprised at some of the craziness. Lets just say I work out.

But seriously sometimes its just seeing what I have around to be able to do what I need to do and then going from there.

Like when I had the axle on the wooden platform shipped to me I just wanted MG to show up next morning and help with the install of the kit not deal with the tear down. So I had to use my riding lawn mower (zero turn hand controls) to drag the axle (while it was still on the wooden thing) over to the lift. Then I used my lift to lift the axle up and I slapped the wheels on, then lowered the axle onto the wheels and rolled it out of the way so I could lift the van. Once the old axle was out I lowered it onto the wooden platform and then used the riding lawnmower again to pull it out from under the van and then rolled the new axle under the van.

Oh and to be clear I hate things that roll with caster type wheels. Mainly because if I am on them they go any direction and its normally not the way I want ha ha.

Thanks again guys for the kind words, makes me want to step my game up!

Old 09-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #255

Garage
Backcountry Pursuit - I'll have a photo for you soon, gotta fix my old VW bug that I sold to my buddy up the road that doesn't work on cars... Should have thought that one through ha ha.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #256

Not in a big rush. The conversion is gonna start in a few weeks. I also have a few local guys here with 4wd conversions I can look at. Also, it's just exhaust and any competent shop should be able to figure it out. Just was thinking about what it will look like when I pulled the tranny out of the parts van yesterday.
Backcountry Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:04 PM   #257

Garage
Nice! I'm excited to see what you think. After thinking about it some more I'm not gonna show you a picture because my exhaust isn't correct. It was correct for the other front axle but since the new one is in its not right, I didn't care to much for it anyway, probably gonna have MG weld me up a new one... He doesn't know it yet...

Old 09-05-2016, 12:51 AM   #258

Nice to se you used plywood for your door inserts. I might be bias but I'm a big fan of plywood... Here's what your van would look like if it was 50 years old I had fun building it!

Keep it coming!

Cheers
David

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #259

Garage
Thats sweet! I dont know if I will keep the plywood forever but I am enjoying it, I am not sure what exactly I would use instead anyway. Thanks for the picture, I like it!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Nice! I'm excited to see what you think. After thinking about it some more I'm not gonna show you a picture because my exhaust isn't correct. It was correct for the other front axle but since the new one is in its not right, I didn't care to much for it anyway, probably gonna have MG weld me up a new one... He doesn't know it yet...
That is a perfectly acceptable answer. If I had a pipe bender I might give it a go myself. I haven't welded much but there is an old tombstone Lincoln stick welder at my girlfriends farm from a boyfriend long long ago. It may have to get plugged in so I can see how much slag I can produce. Lol

MG texted me a picture of the first production parts today. They look pretty. Off to the powder coater on Thursday! My axle shipped today from NM. Ujoint order minus the rear springs should ship in the next few days. Moog springs and track bar are on their way from Amazon. There was only one Carli track bar left/available on Amazon and I jumped on it as soon as MG sent the part number. I know there's at least a couple other guys looking for that and I snatched it! Sorry fellow MG converts. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
Backcountry Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote