Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post

If I were you I'd keep the 4.30...

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
Salvage yard admitted fault and are working with me to make it right. Getting a Sterling 10.5 4.30 LSD out of the deal for the rear to match the front! I'm almost happy they sent the wrong axle!

Edited: I need to get my own thread started so I can stop cloggin up Jsweezy's with my problems!

Old 09-29-2016, 09:47 PM   #292

Garage
[QUOTE=Backcountry Pursuit;185540]Salvage yard admitted fault and are working with me to make it right. Getting a Sterling 10.5 4.30 LSD out of the deal for the rear to match the front! I'm almost happy they sent the wrong axle!

Well that worked out! Congrats!. I just finished rebuilding my rear Sterling. Will move on to the front axle tomorrow. Sounds like we're on a similar timeline!
2006 E350 RB-31 MG Metalworks/UJOR 4x4 swap (on to another)
ranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #293

Garage
Backcountry - Geez, 2 axles for the price of one! And both with the gearing you wanted... lucky!

No worries about clogging up my thread, things are slow right now anyway ha ha

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #294

My Ujoint/atlas springs are at the terminal finally, grabbing them in the morning. Just over 10 weeks from ordering for what it's worth.

/hijack
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #295

Garage
Nice! That's about the same amount of time mine took as well. Are you having to drive all the way to Salem like I had to?

Old 10-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #296

Garage
Handi-Capable...

It was mentioned a page or so back that some individuals would love to see how I do what I do. Basically its a little bit of brains and a little bit of muscle. Sometimes more muscle than brains until I realize I am being dumb about half way through.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and show you guys how I got MGs air compressor that weighs probably 250lbs? Its not that big but its heavy, awkward and has a screen that could rip your face of attached to it.

Problem - Heavy compressor needs to go into the back of my van and its too heavy to just lift it up in by myself.

Solution -

First take said compressor and position it into the middle of my 2 post lift and attach a couple ratchet straps onto it. Then lift it slowly until its high enough to put on top of the most useful box I have ever paid too much money for.

Then take said air compressor and lower it onto the box ever so carefully.

Next back up van just inside the shop, then open the rear door and sloooowwwly back up to the compressor. It helps if you have a partner, I didn't so it went very slow. Then realize that its still too low and you must repeat the first step but flip the box to its tallest point and fortunately it barely fits.

Then turn the compressor so that the tiny front post is positioned in between the bumper and the body holding it in place so you can hop onto the green cooler, slide the compressor as far forward as you can into the van left lift and let the muscles do the talking. Of course since its a front post it doesn't just roll right in and takes a bunch of encouraging words.

Then sit back and admire that you were able to get it into the van and wish you had a forklift like MG.

And thats how its done.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #297

Well that doesn't look fun, but nice job improvising! Call me any time you need a hand, lately I'm looking for excuses to get out of the house (depending on the kids) and I'm usually in Hillsboro in the morning.

I had Chris send most of my stuff to Portland terminals, aside from the axle and boxes that shipped to MG with his sterling. Although I called three times to make sure someone would be at will call today, I showed up, got buzzed in and stood around for 30 minutes yelling and wondering through empty offices! Finally I found the only employee onsite moving trailers around and got him to load the pallet into the van for me. A bit frustrating but reddaway almost always is.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #298

Garage
Ha ha, its not that it isn't fun, its just a process. But that's kind of my life now, cant really just jump into things without thinking it through. I find that to actually be a good thing because its helped me to process what I'm about to do better.

Sorry to hear about your spring problems, but I'm happy you got them!

Chris just posted over on the expo that he would be getting better lead times as of now and will have springs made and on hand for when people call to order making it only a 3-4 week wait. So that's good news!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #299

Garage
Exhaust!!!

So after swapping over my front axle I ran into the issue of the driveline not working with the way that the exhaust was routed. The 1979 F250 front axle has the driveline more centerline than the 2013 which is more to the drivers side. Either way my exhaust was absolute garbage and needed to go.

Advanced had removed the drivers side rear cat so when I went to go get my exhaust re routed they wouldn't touch it because it wasn't federally legal. I totally understand but wasn't expecting it so I was a little irritated. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because that exhaust was shot anyway.

So what to do? I would basically have to purchase a new front exhaust and then pay to have it modified and put in my van. Super sucks and I was going to go after the dealership to pay for it since they sold me a vehicle that was federally incompliant but decided I don't have the time or energy to play games like that.

One day I was talking with MG about how his quadvan exhaust was routed and he sent me a photo. Even though it was a 5.4l v8 and mine is a v10 6.8L the newer vans both used the same exhaust system. Mine is an 08 and from 09+ they changed from 4 smaller cats to 2 bigger cats. He agreed to sell me his since it was supposed to be an easy plug and play but as always it turned into a bunch of shenanigans.

I didn't bother taking a ton of pictures because it was exhausting...... and I just wanted to get it done.

So I removed my old system, 4 bolts at the headers, unplugged the sensors, undid the joint that attaches the front to rear, cut the crossover pipe that was in a horrible spot...

You will also notice in these photos of the drivers side exhaust there is a total lack of heat shields. This resulted in the floor of the van getting so hot that I couldn't sit on the bare metal, thank goodness I have 3/4" rubber mats that absorbed some of that between when I got the van and now.

So the install of the new exhaust was fairly straight forward, as you can see in this photo, it re routs the drivers side exhaust completely to under the passengers side and then back, Ying before it passes over that cross member pictured above.

Lets just say it took a good amount of work because what I didn't account for is that my transmission is bigger than MGs. The 5 speed is definitely a little wider so when he took his out and it just fell right out, mine going in needed a little help. I am just getting very good at removing and reinstalling front suspension components and fortunately MGs system is easy enough to remove and put back on that it was more time consuming than anything else.

I also found out that the v8 must have the headers coming out about an inch or so forward of where the v10 headers come out. So I had to cut the rear of the front pipe (after the Y) back in order to get the rear portion of the exhaust to mount over the axle correctly. I do have some rubbing on the heat shield but now at least I can take it to an exhaust shop and have them be able to modify it because everything is in its "stock" location for a 4x4 van that was never built by Ford...

All in all its a huge improvement over the old exhaust. The biggest change I noticed was that when I let of the gas the van coasts a lot better than it did before. It was almost like before I had a continuous exhaust brake holding me back from being able to just roll easily, kind of threw me off as I was driving up to a light. Its also a lot quieter, and has more of throaty sound when I punch it, as well as the intake really can pull some air. Even my wife, who never admits than anything I do to this van is an improvement said that she feels like the van is more comfortable than it was before and that it sounds smoother. Oh and no more scorching hot floor, I might regret that in the winter when I want a butt warmer.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Sometimes more muscle than brains until I realize I am being dumb about half way through.
This goes for me too. Assuming I realize halfway through and not at the end.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote