Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #301

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
This goes for me too. Assuming I realize halfway through and not at the end.
Ya, I am finally getting over the "I have to tighten this bolt as much as humanly possible otherwise it will come off" syndrome which is saving me a lot of extra work.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #302

Garage
Tie Rod Ends...

Ok, as everyone knows (if they have been following along) I received my font axle from a 65k mile f250 that was in a wreck but the front end was untouched. Either way my steering, while it felt ok, didn't feel as good as I wanted it to so I ordered all new tie rod ends except for the one that attaches to the pitman arm. I probably should have just done that one too since I was doing all of the others but whatever.

Old -

New -

Once everything was on I decided even though I tried my hardest to keep everything the same I better go get it aligned at les schwab. Also I figured it would be a good idea since I hadn't had it aligned since MG and I made the caster change. Fortunately they were dead in there today when I arrived so I was in and out in no time.

I guess I hadn't been as careful as I thought i was because the toe was out a little bit but they got it dialed back in and now I have 30 days to mess it up and they will fix it for free. I didnt want to pay them the 56$ to just turn the tie rod but the peace of mind that thats done and the paper to be able to post the specs to all of you was totally worth it.

Alignment specs -

Oh and the steering feels better. It wasn't necessarily a stiffness problem or a lack of whatever issue, the steering just felt a little looser than I wanted it to. Sure enough the tie rod end joints were just on their way out and without a way to lube them up they had to go. I guess the biggest improvement is the smoothness in the steering.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #303

Well it should definitely drive better! Nothing like fresh steering parts or new tires.

I can't wait to get mine together and compare vans back to back. Should be a good comparison with a couple of EB v10s that are mostly empty.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #304

Wait are the tires toed out now?! I've always had much better results with positive toe (toe in) on a truck/SUV with big tires. With them toed out, I felt like the tires grabbed every rut or imperfection in the road.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #305

Garage
Ya that will be cool to be able to compare.

I guess so, I don't really know what would be best, it looks like I am but just barely, it drives good so I am happy with it.

I also just pulled the front sway bar off to see how it handles without a sway bar and steering stabilizer. Soon I will be adding a fox steering stabilizer and then comparing that and if it doesn't feel as good as I am pretty sure it will then I'll throw the sway bar back on.

More updates to come...

Old 10-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #306

Garage
Interior...

Since I have finally gotten to the point where mechanically I feel comfortable with my van its time to start thinking about the interior. What a circus, the only thing I still have left to do is get the driveshaft modified and put it in as well as get the exhaust just moved slightly because its tapping a heat shield. Both of those are easy fixes I just don't have the money to get it done right now so its gonna have to wait till next pay day. I would like to get the 55 gallon gas tank I have installed but again, no money and I have a diesel sending unit so thats not gonna work.

Anyway, Interior...

I wanted something simple and I want the ability to remove it. My idea of this van is more of a truck/transformer. I love having the ability to have a forklift just set a pallet in the back but thats not happening everyday so I was thinking maybe a platform in the back would be nice. There seems to be numerous occasions that I have something to carry thats bigger and because I have no platform to put it on that space is taken up.

Most recently I got a hand cycle and love that it fits perfectly behind the bench seat, its pretty big so I was surprised. I was initially thinking if I made the platform tall enough I could slide the hand cycle underneath and then would have all that room above to use. Once I realized how tall it was and in awkward places I decided to do the opposite and build the platform to put the bike on top of and use the area underneath for storage.

I have always been a minimalist when it comes to packing stuff around. Only the necessities and maybe a couple creature comforts if its not taking up too much space. It probably stems from backpacking trips with boy scouts and then the military just solidified it. The less I had to carry the more my knees thanked me.

I have found that this still seems to be the case with me even though I have a massive van so I didnt want anything like cabinets or storage bins that would allow me to start hoarding stuff I thought would be cool to have but not necessary. And like I said before I want it easy to remove so I am just thinking a simple frame is best.

Fast forward to last night. I had taken pre workout and once finished with my workout I was still feeling like I could take on the world so it was time to build this frame out of wood and toss it in to see if I even liked it in reality before ordering a bunch of 80/20 to make it. I also have a horrible track record with being able to use materials wisely so using the random wood I had laying around made more sense to me than spending more money on something to screw up.

I wanted to be able to open the pass side rear door and have it wide open inside for moving around so I tried to make it in line from front to back with the drivers side rear door closed. I also wanted to be able to fit my cooler in the back closest to the rear so it comes in and out easiest but I needed it to open when the rear door was closed so I could utilize it without opening the rear door. I thought it would be cool to have the height of the platform the same as the cooler for uniformity and so the cooler could be part of the platform if need be.

Sure enough I build the frame, set it in and it was too long and too short. The cooler couldn't open with the rear door closed and when I went to set the plywood on top, I slid it over and was hitting the rear ac unit. Like I said, I need to work with cheap wood before I go buying a bunch of material because stuff like this happens. So I made it a little shorter and taller and it fit great, now its just time to let it sit back there and see if there is any reason I don't want it in reality.

Oh and the bike fit great but not accounting for the seat back being higher at the top than the bottom I have to turn the front wheel to be able to shut the door. But it fits so...

Pics...

Old 10-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #307

Garage
Great prototype, sweezy! I really like the idea of messing with cheap materials and living with it for a bit to see if you like it.

I'm going for the transformer style, too. My plan is to build the platform sideways - likely 80/20 as frames over the wheel wells - and then a folding/removable platform bed over that. That way, I can keep it in most of the time and transport low stuff, but easily take it out when I want that whole back space top to bottom.

You're right... those of us who are used to having a truck to haul things in feel the pinch when trying to make the van fit that bill. But I think we're on the right road to a decent compromise of needs.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #308

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
It was mentioned a page or so back that some individuals would love to see how I do what I do. Basically its a little bit of brains and a little bit of muscle. Sometimes more muscle than brains until I realize I am being dumb about half way through.
Oh my god. The patience. You're inspiring that part of me that is better off slowing down and being persistent. And to quit whining when something's "too hard."

There are no adequate words. So I'll just say this, Jsweezy: Thanks for making me a better person.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #309

IdeA:

Make a fold up bench that could be used as bunk space with storage underneath or fold up so you can pop a pallet in there.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #310

Garage
Thanks Otter! Maybe one day soon we can have a "build party" with 80/20 ha ha.

Flux, ya thats a good idea and actually saw one the other day that was done by van specialties on some thread, can't remember which now. Anyway I really liked it. Ugh time for more research, never thought id spend so much time on a van.