Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #341

Garage
Backcountry - I wasn't going to ever consider an advanced either until I found this one with a killer deal. Little did I know I would be swapping out everything they put on except for the transfercase ha ha!

Sometimes this custom van work makes me want to go buy a brand new truck and never look back. But when things do work out and everything is as it should be it feels so good that you have something that is super functional and fun to drive. Oh and something that you cant just go buy off a lot whenever you want. I can't even begin to count how many comments or waves or thumbs up I have gotten since owning my van and then when I tell them I built it they always look at me like I'm crazy.

I wish my wife and son were a little more adventurous because I'm almost to the point where I need to go Offroad this beast into a beautiful spot in the woods and spend the night just being happy that I'm actually using what I've put all this work into. Maybe I'll have to leave them at home for a night...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #342

Garage
^^^ do it! I took my first solo camp trip summer before last and I really enjoyed myself. I was apprehensive at first, but its a whole different level of solitude. ive done 5-6 since and loved each trip for different reasons. one of the best ones I had was actually in Oregon

we bought our van 4 years ago now, damn really!?! time flies... anyway. there was info about Quigley that was negative, but not near as easy to find as it is now, or maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places, or didn't want to see it. maybe just to smitten with the idea of a 4wd van, who knows. either way, I would definitely go a different route now with the options that are now available and proven, but I don't regret our purchase at all. the mods that made it workable were mods I would have done anyway, likely just not in the order they were done. now im to the point of where I start reversing some of the things Quigley did to make basic replacements easier next go round. this will not be the last time I need wheel bearings, and next time it will be an effortless swap. it will take some jingle out of my pockets to do so, but next go round will be a lot less painful.

im excited to get Tysons van going. not only for him to get that beached whale back in the water, but to see how well the mg setup performs vs the others. were lucky enough to have one of each make in our little circle of van folks here in boise. I think the only one were missing (that's still actually a company) is advanced in slc.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post

I'm excited to see what you end up with!

Likewise!!!

I'm nervous about the Agile 4x4. Maybe just because it's a big commitment. But I do feel like I will be getting a very nice system that fits my needs. Doesn't hurt that they are somewhat in my neck of the woods.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Backcountry - I wasn't going to ever consider an advanced either until I found this one with a killer deal. Little did I know I would be swapping out everything they put on except for the transfercase ha ha!

Sometimes this custom van work makes me want to go buy a brand new truck and never look back. But when things do work out and everything is as it should be it feels so good that you have something that is super functional and fun to drive. Oh and something that you cant just go buy off a lot whenever you want. I can't even begin to count how many comments or waves or thumbs up I have gotten since owning my van and then when I tell them I built it they always look at me like I'm crazy.

I wish my wife and son were a little more adventurous because I'm almost to the point where I need to go Offroad this beast into a beautiful spot in the woods and spend the night just being happy that I'm actually using what I've put all this work into. Maybe I'll have to leave them at home for a night...
I'll go with you!
Just need to work out my compressor install, winch wiring and a few odds and ends. We do lots of day trips but without a sleeping area and heater for the kids it's kind of limited right now.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #345

I'll have to look at my transmission mount....highly likely the same since my crossmember has the same notch and my transfer case seems to hang a bit low....

So what's the scope of the mod for the double cardan joint?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:16 PM   #346

Garage
Flux - I wouldn't be worried about an Agile 4wd. I haven't seen anything anywhere hinting that they don't do a good job and from what I hear the ride is amazing for such a short amount of lift.

Brianjwilson - Noted! That could be a lot of fun.

BoyWonder - It would ultimately mean you would need to purchase a new driveline. Hopefully yours already has the correct rear driveline on it and you dont have to worry about it but If it looks like mine then I doubt it.

I also had to borrow some nuts I had from a different ford part to use on the bottom of the new transmission mount because the ones they had on the mount installed wouldn't work so make sure you get a couple before you go trying to install it because thats frustrating. The nuts that attach to the bottom of the tranny mount are the same as the ones that hold the tranny crossmember onto the frame.

Also before you go jacking the tranny up so you can slide the mount underneath, there are two tabs on the transfer case housing that need to be either ground down a little bit or cut just the tip off. They barely touch the body (on the top) and the gas tank (on the left side) and it creates a hell of a noise when they do.

Here is a picture of the one on the top...

Here is the one on the Left (drivers) side...

The tabs are there to work with a tool that will help separate the transfer case housing. There is still a tab located on the lower right side that could be used if you do cut too much off of these two but really only the tops of the tabs need to be taken down. You could probably even just use a file and some elbow grease to get them down enough but I just went extreme and chopped them with an angle grinder cutting wheel. Kind of over kill really now that I think about it.

Heres how i did it.
1. Place jack under the tranny right in front of the transmission crossmember and then place a 4x4 block of wood on top of it, lift the jack to support the weight of the transmission.

2. Remove the bottom two nuts on the transmission mount that attach it to the crossmember.

3. Remove bolts on the sides of the frame holding the transmission crossmember on (19mm) and remove it. (one of my nuts on the one side was stripped so I didnt get to fully remove it but it still worked)

4. Replace the incorrect transmission mount thats too short and should have never been put there in the first place with the correct one by removing the two bolts holding it onto the tranny (19mm).

5. Lower transmission as carefully as you can (if need be) only far enough to gain access to the top of the transfer case to grind off some of that tab and the one on the left if it hits the gas tank.

6. Jack up tranny and re attach the transmission crossmember.

7. Attach tranny mount to tranny crossmember with the two nuts that you already bought at the ford dealer/hardware store.

8. Sit back and think about how you now need to consider buying a new rear driveshaft when you would rather spend the money on your interior.

BE ADVISED! Moving the tranny up and down thats still attached to the engine could affect the exhaust where its mounted to the manifolds. It may not be a bad idea to loosen the exhaust bolts from the manifolds before doing all of this to ensure nothing gets twisted funny and then is a pain to re align on the manifold. Also check to make sure that lifting the tranny up isn't going to interfere with your exhaust when your done if it crosses over in that area.

Hopefully that all made sense. Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #347

More just anxious I guess. I want a 4wd van bad. From what I understand it's the best system for what I want. I always get amped up before something big. Van goes down in less than 2 weeks.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #348

[QUOTE=Flux;189412]I'm nervous about the Agile 4x4. Maybe just because it's a big commitment. QUOTE]

Nothing to be nervous about. You will get a well designed system, professionally installed from some great guys that will ride better than most any van you might have driven.

Jsweezy, Sorry if you already covered this, but since I have the same Advanced conversion with the same cross member modification, I wonder what the issue was with yours. My set up has over 100K on it and seems to be working finek as originally installed. That's not to say that there wern't several issues of crappy workmanship including recieving the van (used) with the crossmember cracked and nearly broken in half at the cut.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #349

Garage
[QUOTE=arctictraveller;189468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I'm nervous about the Agile 4x4. Maybe just because it's a big commitment. QUOTE]

Nothing to be nervous about. You will get a well designed system, professionally installed from some great guys that will ride better than most any van you might have driven.

Jsweezy, Sorry if you already covered this, but since I have the same Advanced conversion with the same cross member modification, I wonder what the issue was with yours. My set up has over 100K on it and seems to be working finek as originally installed. That's not to say that there wern't several issues of crappy workmanship including recieving the van (used) with the crossmember cracked and nearly broken in half at the cut.

No worries, I guess there really wasn't anything wrong with it until I dug into it and realized the mount was broken and essentially not doing its job anymore. My van has 124k miles on it and it seems to have worked fine up unto this point, if your into not having your tranny locked down I guess.

My biggest things were that I was feeling a lot of vibrations and hearing creaking from the frame from the tranny moving around. I also didn't like how my transfer case hung down lower than everyone else and never understood why until MG and I noticed the mount. And lastly, why would you even replace that part when the stock one that comes on it already is super beefed up with rubber and works amazing?

Now that thats fixed, as things seem to go, I noticed my rear driveshaft is out of whack. My van starts vibrating around 15mph and gets so strong by 30mph that my side door "Door Claw" vibrates against the door and then above that it seems to smooth out. Fortunately MG has to get a new one for his van build so I snagged up his "old" one from him but have to have it shortened before it will fit with the larger transmission.

Biggest improvement with putting the stock mount back on is that I have gained more clearance, the engine isn't having to work as hard to propel me forward because the mount is actually a mount now (which wouldn't be an issue for you if yours is still one piece) and the frame isn't creaking anymore because of the powertrain moving around as I mash on the gas pedal.

The part that really confuses me is that they replaced the stock mount with a shorter mount and I have no idea why. Because they did that they then had to cut the crossmember, weld the relief into it, and then still had to modify they rear driveshaft to work with the transfer case that they attached. All they had to do was leave the stock mount, grind down the tabs on the transfer case and order a new driveshaft with a CV joint. Total cost would have been ballpark 600$ (for the driveshaft because nothing else costed money) to do that and a lot less work.

I honestly don't think they did it like that because they were being lazy. If anything, they did more work than they needed to, to get the same result.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #350

[QUOTE=arctictraveller;189468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I'm nervous about the Agile 4x4. Maybe just because it's a big commitment. QUOTE]

John has been nothing but terrific thus far. Helped me every step of the way even before I bought the van. I have heard nothing but good things and I appreciate it.

I seriously laid awake at night thinking about putting all this together. From the van to the 4x4 to the gears and wheels and every component. I have to research everything to death and second guess myself constantly.

I think the Tan Hot Dog's owner goes through similar pains. He was gonna sell his awesome rig twice!!