Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #351

Garage
Flux - You already know me all too well! And if someone asked me to buy my van I'd sell it in a heartbeat but it's because I literally want one of everything but can't afford it ha ha.

Honestly though now that I have the window ordered and am getting the rear driveline fixed I'm starting to feel really good about keeping my van and being happy with it. I think it was all of the small things that I knew I couldn't afford to fix that kept haunting me until I was ready to just wash my hands of this van, but like a true love (read curse) I couldn't get her to say goodbye.

If a sterling landed under my van I'd never let go...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #352

Can't wait to see the window go in!!

Keep dreaming it. It'll happen. I got a long way to go too! Good thing for the home build support group.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #353

[QUOTE=Jsweezy; Now that thats fixed, as things seem to go, I noticed my rear driveshaft is out of whack. The part that really confuses me is that they replaced the stock mount with a shorter mount and I have no idea why. QUOTE]

No doubt you discovered why they shortened the mount, since your drive shaft is now vibrating due to the excessive angles. Was it less expensive in the beginning? I'd guess it was. Modifying the cross member probably cost about an hours labor, and the mount was probably no where near the cost of a double cardon drive shaft. Just a guess.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #354

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post

No doubt you discovered why they shortened the mount, since your drive shaft is now vibrating due to the excessive angles. Was it less expensive in the beginning? I'd guess it was. Modifying the cross member probably cost about an hours labor, and the mount was probably no where near the cost of a double cardon drive shaft. Just a guess.
Maybe, the funny part is that they still had to modify the rear driveshaft to work with the transfer case. So if they were going to have to mess with the rear driveshaft in the first place why wouldn't they just do it right? That's the only thing they would have had to do with my v10 was get the new driveshaft, instead of modifying it, getting a new mount and then modifying the crossmember.

Oh and to be clear this rear driveshaft was off from the start, now it's the only thing I notice because I fixed everything else. Driveshafts aren't balanced depending on what angle they are at as far as I know so the 1/2" lower that it was before I put the new mount on shouldn't have mattered when I raised it.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #355

Garage
Ok so it's been a couple weeks now and the last thing I was complaining about was the rear driveline and its lack of a cv joint. So I got a new one and I noticed a considerable amount of vibrations have gone away. I'm sure it was also in part due to the old driveline joints being toast but the fact that it was in there backwards from the start made me want to just get a new one all together.

Old...

New...

Side by side, right is front of vehicle...

I'm pretty sure the reason they put it in backwards was because the joint that's supposed to be on the axle side looked like there was more room for movement but it just bugged me. If nothing else, it looks better because it's shiny and got a fresh coat of paint.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #356

Garage
Alas I still have some sort of vibration issue, a drone that will kick in between 25-35mph and 55-65mph. It was a lot worse before I fixed the driveline but it's still there so I figured the only other thing it could be is the wheels/tires... maybe?!

I've secretly been wanting a new set of wheels and tires anyway because the big calipers on the 2013+ front axle doesn't work with my current ones as they are only 2011/2012 unless you grind them down, which I did. But in the back of my mind, I kept thinking about how annoying it would be do have to do it again if I had to get new calipers. Extremely small thing to deal with and isn't an issue but it helped push me to get new wheels.

I found a guy selling a brand new set of steel wheels off of a 2017 and figured if nothing else this would tell me if the wheels is the reason I am getting the vibration/drone.

New wheels...

I went to get them mounted at Costco for the 15$ per wheel price but they were slammed because everyone's thinking we are about to get snow and everyone also just got paid. Finally I just found a place with no one there and had them mount and balance for me for 2x the amount but I'm outta there and it's done so screw it.

New wheels on the Dog...

Unfortunately on my drive home (taking the long way to see if the vibration still happens at 55ish) it didn't change anything. Which super sucks, especially since I was so impatient thinking I had the solution and costing me more than I wanted. Lesson learned.

I'm starting to think it's the tires as I'm doing research and reading about other KO2 owners having issues, anyone on here have the same thing?!

Positive outlook though - I have a ton of room between my caliper and wheel now and can also sell my wheels to cover some of the cost since I know they are just fine.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #357

Since you have a set of 5 right?? Maybe you could start swapping one out and see if you can find the culprit. I mean it would be hard to fathom that all 5 are not balancing correctly. Were they force balanced??

I have KO2's on two vehicles and have had zero issues, I love em. But that doesn't mean much really.

Sorry you're having these issues, the new wheels are pretty cool though!

EDIT: There are always gonna be issues with any brand of tire, especially when they come out with new models. I still can't imagine the whole set being bad.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #358

No issues with the K02 tires on my rig either. They run quiet. The new Steeles look cool.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #359

Garage
Ya, I didn't remember having issues with these before and I never had them with the ones Larrie has but was trying to narrow it down.

Thanks for the compliments on the wheels!

I've basically narrowed it down to the last drag link tie rod end I didn't replace with the others or the ball joints. That or it's the exhaust and the way it's routed that the engine is just hitting a specific rpm range that creates a drone. I did have it fixed but only enough not to be annoying not enough to actually do a full reroute.

Either way I don't have any money to spend on this so for now I'll speculate...

Old 12-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #360

I suggest you don't drive those speed ranges.