Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post

Finally I just found a place with no one there and had them mount and balance for me for 2x the amount but I'm outta there and it's done so screw it.

it's only money, you can get more of it.......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #372

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
it's only money, you can get more of it.......
Very true, but the less I spend on wheels shenanigans the more I get for other repairs/upgrades. That and I just hate spending more than I have to on something because I'm impatient, but I still don't seem to learn ha ha.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #373

Following this thread to the best of my ability, it seems you have redialed your 4x4 and drivetrain and suspension, all which pay big dividends in piece of mind. You get your tires taken care of.......good to go and onward. I have had a couple setbacks as well, nothing too big yet, but I feel ya, it adds up. I guess it's the price to have lifted 4x4 vans that are like nothing else on the road!!

#homebuildvansupportgroup
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #374

Garage
Thanks, Yep I am definitely excited because this is literally the last thing on the list for it to be golden mechanically. It feels like its taken forever to get to this point but I can't wait.

I did see a 2005 f350 rear axle pop up on craigslist for a good deal but the more I started thinking about putting that in the more I realized how much it would actually cost. 350 for the axle which would need some new brakes at minimum so really 5-600ish and then the kit from chris to make it work with the van is another 350 and then getting the correct joint on the driveline (?) and im looking at over 1k dollars to do that and I doubt ill ever need something that heavy duty at this stage of my van life.

Maybe in a year or so ill look back at doing it (mainly because I can because I dont have RSC) but as of now I'm just so pumped to be able to hop in the van and go knowing its all safe and sound.

Once the wheels are forced balanced the only other thing left on the list is some walls on the interior (probably birch ply) so I can let me son run around in the back and then its go time!

Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #375

From what I can gather, the Semi Floaters were changed at some point to include larger bearings and thus they are improved from a time when the Full Floater was a highly desirable upgrade. Trust me, I am agonizing over this a bit too because I want things to be very good with my rig. I understand the benefits of the full floater, but on my model it's virtually impossible and really only gains 1400 lbs of axle rating.

Didn't you get a newer Semi Limited Slip??

But yeah, I should have 4x4 on it before Xmas but I don't have seats, flooring, walls, insulation etc......so our Xmas road trip from LA to Tahoe is gonna be done in the expedition.....sucks, but that's all I can do.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #376

Garage
Ya I dont know when things changed but they are fine. Really the only reason I would want to put the F250 sterling in is because I can and then I wouldn't have to run spacers.

If you have rsc your limited to your axle you have or a similar one off of a different van but you can't run a truck axle, fortunately mine doesn't have rsc and I was super excited to see that when I bought it.

I have the same axle thats been on my van, its currently a 3.73 limited slip but I would love to have the sterling with a tru trac.

Bummer you can't take your van on your trip but once its together that will be a nice change from an expedition.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #377

Patience is key for sure. I have a long way to go.

I saw an SRW 2010+ rent-a-cutaway box van with the Full Float axle on it. There just has to be a way dangit!!

Again, hope that force balance works out your issues. Agile is handling my wheels and tires and I can't imagine that John won't make sure we got it dialed. They have great attention to detail there.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #378

You can have a Sterling 10.5 with RSC vans... just get one out of an RSC truck.

It's been done before. Quadvan had a video of new rsc van with sterling rear a while ago.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
You can have a Sterling 10.5 with RSC vans... just get one out of an RSC truck.

It's been done before. Quadvan had a video of new rsc van with sterling rear a while ago.
Out of an F250/F350?? Are these like the Sterlings coming from Ujoint?

Sorry I am dumb on this stuff and keep mucking up Sweezy's build thread.

I looked at a ford parts site and it looks like the RSC is integrated on the axle shafts on the Semi Float. but I am not sure. I may never upgrade, but never say never. A full float rear would kind of ice the cake.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #380

All RSC trucks and vans have outboard wheel speed sensors.

Starting in 2008, all vans got outboard wheel speed sensors RSC or not. Its the speed sensor setup that actually matters, not whether is has RSC, other than you know an RSC donor truck will also have outboard sensors.

I think the pickups got it starting in 2012? And not all models. It started with F250s, then moved upward through the pickup line.