Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #31

Garage
I appreciate the input though. Besides if I tried to tell my wife I was buying another van she would definitely not allow me on the forums anymore ha ha!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #32

Just out of curiosity, couldn't you just replace the front leafs and run it as is until you have a need for the 60?
Old 03-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #33

Garage
Hey Mikracer, so I totally could. My issue is I don't want to pay for multiple sets of leafs if I do intend to go UJOR and if I use his mounting locations instead of the advanced 4x4 ones I have now (which I would have to because UJOR springs are longer) than would it still carry the axle in the same spot? I'm in the process of finding this stuff out because that's what I want to do is just swap the front springs with new UJOR mounting locations and then upgrade later.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #34

Gotcha. I didn't know they mounted differently. In an earlier post you mentioned you were trying to keep the height of the van low. I think I read somewhere on another forum that they wished they had gone with the 6" UJOR kit because their UJOR 4" kit lacked suspension travel for their liking. Just something to research and think about before you pull the trigger on it.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #35

Garage
Yep these advanced rigs have pretty short springs on them, the UJOR ones are longer so they are more comfortable.

I had been back and forth about that when I was considering converting my 2wd van. Even Chris tried to talk me into the 6" because that's what everyone ends up going to eventually. Well after picking up this 4" lifted van, I realized the 6" is too tall for me because I'm in a wheelchair and need to be able to hop up in it. So the lack of travel is just something I will have to deal with if I go that route. Thank you for bringing that to my attention if I hadn't see that previously though!

Old 03-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Yep these advanced rigs have pretty short springs on them, the UJOR ones are longer so they are more comfortable.
I'm not sure that's necessarily true. All the leafsprung vans I've driven are pretty stiff, I think it's the nature of the beast.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #37

Garage
Rallypanam, I agree they can be stiff but I rode in a E350 with a 6" UJOR and it was just as comfortable as my 2wd with less body roll. And I'm not just saying that to say that, I am being honest in my evaluation because at the time it would have been UJOR or Quadvan I was deciding between and Quadvan would have been much easier.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #38

Quote:
How long are your front leafs?

Check out posts #81, #88 and #93 here....

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...n-11639-9.html

Here is the entire thread from a few years ago if you are curious about my Advanced 4X4 config:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ion-11639.html
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #39

Garage
Hey Boywonder, I actually read your entire thread and it helped me out a lot when I as confused about what I had going on under my van. Thank you so much for having it! I will have to check but I'm pretty sure they are the short GM style that Chris was referring to.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #40

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Quote:
Well agile said there isn't a cost effective way to do an RIP for my rig so it looks like I'm going Ujoint if I want to stay leafs or some other new option that comes along.
It wasn't me that talked to you, so I don't know exactly what was said, but here are my thoughts.

First, we can absolutely help with the overall ride quality, and especially with the rear end ride and stability.

Here is the problem we run into with the front suspension that you have.

The primary problem is the lack of front bump travel. There is nowhere (up) for the front axle to go, because it will collide with the frame.

This is the same case for ALL straight axle conversions (the axles are the same basic shape and the frame is the same) regardless of type of spring, coil or leaf, that it rides on.

The first part of the remedy is to get more bump travel - this can ONLY happen by raising your ride height. If you need two more inches of bump travel, you need to raise the ride height two inches...

In our Quigley RIP Kit we increase the ride height and bump travel ~1.5 inches.

Your van needs additional bump travel...

The next part of the remedy is to get the right springs and spring rates to carry the vehicle load and g-forces.

Your front springs are not designed correctly and neither are their mounting points. As Mentioned before, they are short, flat (or negative) and they have the wrong rates.

Lastly, you need the correct shocks to control the springs and the sprung weight of the van. That will also require changing the mounting points for the shocks as they are too short.

So it can all be done... and we could offer a Advanced 4x4 RIP Kit, but there is just not enough demand, unlike Quigley where there are tens of thousands out there. It would also have to increase the ride height...

No "4 inch lift" leaf sprung straight axle 4x4 conversion is going to make enough improvement to make it cost effective.

We have sold FOX Shocks to Advanced 4X4 owners, valved for them, that the owners reported improvement from, but they require changing the lower shock mount. Without fixing the spring problem though, there is not much a shock can do alone.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote