Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #421

Oh man, I've got it! Just wait a few years. With cell phones and kids you've got it covered then. Occasionally if it's raining or if I'm in a hurry I just call ahead and get one of my kids to go open the door for me. Yep, I'm just a pure evil Dad. Child abuse by today's standards I guess. Those pesky kids sure do like to eat though!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #422

Dude: garage insulation and a door opener are cheap.....

Perhaps we need to start a gofundme campaign..........

I have a sloped driveway, and think about the transfer case neutral when I'm under the van.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #423

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Dude: garage insulation and a door opener are cheap.....

Perhaps we need to start a gofundme campaign..........

I have a sloped driveway, and think about the transfer case neutral when I'm under the van.....
Ya they may be cheap, but I have a 2,400 square foot shop and would need to put a ceiling in it as well. Door openers also may be cheap but I have a bathroom that needs to be done asap out there.

Ha ha I definitely don't want a Go fund me, you know that's considered taxable income right? *edit* It can be considered taxable income, very gray line that's not fun to toy with.

Fortunately my driveway isn't sloped, or maybe barely, but not enough to move the van when I'm in neutral.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Oh man, I've got it! Just wait a few years. With cell phones and kids you've got it covered then. Occasionally if it's raining or if I'm in a hurry I just call ahead and get one of my kids to go open the door for me. Yep, I'm just a pure evil Dad. Child abuse by today's standards I guess. Those pesky kids sure do like to eat though!

I am definitely doing this, but it will be "get out and go open the shop for me, and close the door once I pull in." Ha ha.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #425
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
The van was in park...
Which is then disconnected from the driveline (driveshafts, differential and wheels) if the t/c is in neutral.

Good to hear that you were using organic wheel chocks though.

Herb
Old 12-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #426

Garage
Quote:
You should have told them it's cool, you have candy...
^^^ ive been surprised at all the negativity ive received with this joke. people have no sense of humor anymore. prolly why the wife wouldn't let me get "KDNAPPR" on our plates.

this thread kills me though. im doing jobs at so many of the cities you name off in here. its like im reading through and see that name and it puts me right into work mode, I hate it, lol. im at work surfing this forum, not working, sheesh! anyway, always enjoy poking through this thread...carry on
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #427

Quote:

Yes, it's worth it. Even if it's just that one day per year, having my van 4wd not only allowed me to get where I wanted to go but it gave me the peace of mind going down the road that I wouldn't be the cause of a wreck. It also made me more confident in my ability to be able to get me and my family out of harms way if SHTF and you can't put a price on that.

So if your going through a conversion or upset at how much it's going to cost you, hopefully this will make you feel better about it...

I go up to the Sierras all the time and have been in the worst of it. One thing I will not sacrifice is a reliable 4WD vehicle. Me personally?? I wouldn't even bother with a 2WD van.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #428

Quote:
I am definitely doing this, but it will be "get out and go open the shop for me, and close the door once I pull in." Ha ha.
If you raise him to be a van enthusiast, he'll already be in the shop when you drive up.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #429

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Which is then disconnected from the driveline (driveshafts, differential and wheels) if the t/c is in neutral.

Good to hear that you were using organic wheel chocks though.

Herb
Duh. Sometimes I'm not the smartest in the mornings.

Ya well its Portland, gotta stay organic, otherwise there will be riots...

Old 12-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #430

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ ive been surprised at all the negativity ive received with this joke. people have no sense of humor anymore. prolly why the wife wouldn't let me get "KDNAPPR" on our plates.

this thread kills me though. im doing jobs at so many of the cities you name off in here. its like im reading through and see that name and it puts me right into work mode, I hate it, lol. im at work surfing this forum, not working, sheesh! anyway, always enjoy poking through this thread...carry on
Ha ha ya well people are a little stiffer than the need to be these days. I would have died laughing if I would have seen that plate. I always wonder what people are thinking when they see my van in a parking lot and don't see us in it but hear my son screaming in the back because I wont let him run around in the bare metal back of the van.

Id like to make it out to Nampa with my family one of these days so maybe we can meet up!