Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #441

Garage
Yep, you would think when someone with a custom vehicle comes into a tire place, knows how to explain what they are feeling, and asks for a specific service to be performed, that the tire place would be more inclined to perform said service because obviously this individual (aka me) is over the top anal about said ride.

The other funny part about this whole thing is that they are only able to swap out one wheel at a time under the factory warranty. So in reality I could still have one more tire thats screwed up and they know about it but aren't able to replace it until I come back in. I am sure this is not the case as it doesn't feel that way, but I am almost tempted to go back in and just tell them I am still feeling something funny, just to see what they do...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoidiot View Post
My wife didn't think it was funny when I wanted to make a bumper sticker for the van that read "Don't laugh, your daughter might be inside".
OMGOOOOSH I saw a TOTALLY creepy old van with that exact sticker on it yesterday, heading south on 71 through Cincinnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Yep, you would think when someone with a custom vehicle comes into a tire place, knows how to explain what they are feeling, and asks for a specific service to be performed, that the tire place would be more inclined to perform said service because obviously this individual (aka me) is over the top anal about said ride.

The other funny part about this whole thing is that they are only able to swap out one wheel at a time under the factory warranty. So in reality I could still have one more tire thats screwed up and they know about it but aren't able to replace it until I come back in. I am sure this is not the case as it doesn't feel that way, but I am almost tempted to go back in and just tell them I am still feeling something funny, just to see what they do...
Now ya know people (especially men) don't like a customer telling them something they should already know especially in front of other people (especially men)

BTW I now have a new respect for my local tire-guys. When I mentioned to Brian, owner of my favorite WV car tire shop that my son is a blacksmith and prone to carrying metal around in his trunk, Brian told me no worries, just make sure it is loaded when he ever needs an alignment. As if it is normal for WV peeps to drive around with junk in their trunk.

Also Doug my favorite WV truck tire manager correctly diagnosed my wheel shimmy as needing a balance alter installing my RIP kit. No tire flippin' involved.

As for the chain stores, just tell them this: Hey y'all my van friends and I think THIS IS TIRING!
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post

If it doesn't sell than I am stuck with this van and might as well continue to build it

Life's tough everywhere.......

...which reminds me..I climbed under my van and it appears to have the factory Ford trans mount.....which is ripped in half......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #444

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Life's tough everywhere.......

...which reminds me..I climbed under my van and it appears to have the factory Ford trans mount.....which is ripped in half......
LUCKY!! Not the ripped in half part, but the fact that its the factory ford transmission mount means you can just swap that out and not have to mess with anything else. Its actually super easy to do.

Park on a level surface.
Place a 2x4 on a floor jack.
Place jack under the flat part on the transmission just in front of the transmission cross member.
Support the transmission with the jack.
Remove the two nuts holding the transmission cross member onto the frame on each side.
Remove the two nuts holding the cross member onto the transmission mount that's attached to the transmission (remember the cross member is now going to fall when you do this) (and actually Boywonder wont have to do this since his is in half already...)
Replace the broken transmission mount and throw it all back together.

This is the mount needed for the V10, don't know about the others...

Old 12-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #445

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Now ya know people (especially men) don't like a customer telling them something they should already know especially in front of other people (especially men)
Ha ha, I wish this wasn't true. If I was the manager of a shop and someone walked in and said, "I am experiencing this and I would like X service performed as I believe it will fix it" and is willing to pay whatever that service would cost then by all means I will do exactly what they ask. The owner of the car obviously has more stock in this vehicle than I do and has spent more time on the road with it than anyone else. And who cares?! If its what they want and they were wrong, I can just fall back on the "I was just doing what you asked me to do" and not the "Well I did what I thought was good enough"

Also, another funny part in all this. When the manager that I had been dealing with came back to tell me about the one tire (of course it was only one...) that they had to replace, I asked him to confirm that it was in fact the one that I told him it would be. He then gave me a stary gaze up into the heavens and searched deep within his memory to tell me that he was "pretty sure" that it was the passenger front not the passenger rear like I had thought...

Seriously?! You literally just walked from my van, where you consulted with the tire technicians, and you cant remember what wheel it was? I think he knew which wheel it was but conveniently "couldn't remember" because that would have confirmed that I knew what the heck was going on. Two days earlier I had swapped the passenger side front to the rear because I had a suspicion that was the bad tire and all of my issues went away, as well as the noisy front tire now became the noisy rear tire.

So I go to hop back in the van after the work was done and sure enough the passenger rear tire was brand new. I am not sure if they always mount them on the rear when they are new (I thought I remembered hearing that at some point somewhere) but of course the invoice I had stated that that's why it was back there.

Sometimes life is so frustrating for the dumbest reasons and obviously, no, I am not still irritated about "The Tire Incident"...

Old 12-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #446

That mount from Amazon looks like mine and Amazon says it fits my van.....so there it is.......thanks!
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #447

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
That mount from Amazon looks like mine and Amazon says it fits my van.....so there it is.......thanks!
Awesome, no problem. I can honestly say as much as I hate getting cheap shots from this van left and right, I am learning a TON and am glad I can use it to help others like me out.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #448

Passenger right vs. passenger front.... Huh? Why oh why am I having a hard time keeping a straight face reading this thread? For some reason it reminds me of a time my parents and teen brother visited me in Montana one Christmas. I took them for a drink at the Stockyard (town name not important because all Montana towns have a Stockyard Cafe which is actually a bar). My mom bought a T-shirt for my brother there that said "Liquor up Front Poker in the Rear". He and I busted up laughing and she did nt seem to know why we thought it was funny. I would have loved to see the bartender trying to keep a straight face as he rang up the sale for my petite straight-laced mother
Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #449

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Passenger right vs. passenger front.... Huh? Why oh why am I having a hard time keeping a straight face reading this thread? For some reason all the talk abut mounting the new and rear and etc reminds me of a time my parents and teen brother visited me in Montana one Christmas. I took them for a drink at the Stockyard (town name not important because all Montana towns have a Stockyard Cafe which is actually a bar). My mom bought a T-shirt for my brother there that said "Poker up Front Liquor in the Rear". He and I busted up laughing and she did nt seem to know why we thought it was funny. But I digress!
Ha ha I didn't catch that, I edited it to actually say Rear, not Right.

That shirts hilarious...

Old 12-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #450

Hee hee I edited the t shirt saying too...