Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 10:36 PM   #61

If only there were another way to easily and inexpensively convert to a Dana 60....

MWAHAHAHA!!!

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #62

Garage
I guess there is always this option ^...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post

I am assuming someone on this forum has an advanced conversion nearing 100k, if so what did you have to do around that time or after to keep your front end from getting away from you?
My van has 92K on it.......my axle is a kingpin.....so I haven't had to deal with ball joint issues.....the van is a 2008 and the conversion was done in 2010....

Quote:

I am already going to drop to 265/75r16 because I have stock rims laying around and I hate when I turn a corner and hit a bump and it sounds like my fender is gonna rip off. So I am hoping that will make a good difference and I will be getting an alignment check at the same time.

Thanks!
If you see bigger brakes in your future....keep the 17's....I can't stress this enough..

There are a handful of folks here who would put nice 16 inch wheels on their rigs and now wish they had 17's for a brake upgrade. You can go bigger with 16's, but you have more options (and more room) with 17's.

If you have some rubbing, trim the inner wheel well a bit
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #64

MG...that is sweet! Nothing like having a spare frame to practice/prototype on.....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #65

Garage
Boywonder - Ya I thought about keeping the 17s but I also have the 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern which means if I swap to a dana 60 those are out. I may just hang on to the tires even though I dont like them that much just so all I need to buy is the rims. I was hoping someone with a 2wd lift would be interested in them so I could use the money for the new 16" tires to throw on but no-one has hit me up.

The dealership really must have hated whoever bought this truck because not only did they throw these big tires on, when it obviously is struggling, but they also threw on 17x9 rims which means I can't go any skinnier than 285. I tried to get them to take them off and put them some other car in the lot but they weren't having it. I have never been into the wider tires on any of my past vehicles so its kind of annoying having them on here.

Hell I may just end up hanging onto all of it if no-one wants to buy them.

I told MG he could use my van as a prototype if he wanted but that once its on its not coming off ha ha.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #66
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
If only there were another way to easily and inexpensively convert to a Dana 60....

MWAHAHAHA!!!
And now he rubs it in huh---or is he mocking we of the lesser uber fabricator ilk?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #67

Quote:
but I also have the 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern which means if I swap to a dana 60 those are out
Not necessarily.. UJOR converts to 8x170 (as the F350 Dana 60s they use have that pattern, but Quigley and others keep 8x6.5.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #68

Quote:
Well wether I go Ujoint (with their axle) or agile it would be in the 8k range.
Agile is more like $11k+, and the quotes I've received from Chris for all the parts were in the same range, not including labor (but maybe that was a more tricked out quote).
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
And now he rubs it in huh---or is he mocking we of the lesser uber fabricator ilk?
more like the hand-wringing mad scientist about to release a plan to leave his soul-crushing day job and work on cool vehicle projects full time... Not meant to mock you fine folks.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #70

Garage
Rallypanam - I am sure the next dana 60 I get is either going to be the Ujoint or a newer 05 axle which is the 8x170. As much as I would love to keep the 8x6.5 I won't be able to.

When I emailed agile they said it would be around 8k so maybe you did have a more tricked out quote, I just asked about the front end swap.

I know MG has been working hard to deliver all of us poor folk some grade A products at a reasonable price so I am sure it wasn't meant to rub anything in.