Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 04:28 AM   #51

Garage
Hey Sixcardcharlie thanks for sharing, I totally understand why. It is actually pretty sweet, I just can't decide if I want to do the whole floor or just do plywood from where this ends to the back doors for a smoother surface and a little weight savings. A 6x4' rubber mat weighs 100lbs and a 4x8' plywood weighs only 60.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #52

Since you aren't doing an interior build I say go for it!
If you do plywood you are either going to have to put some sort of flooring over it or paint and/or seal it.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #53

Garage
Ya, Fortunately I have 2 more laying here so I'm just waiting for the time to be able to cut them and put them in.

So I've been driving it more and realized that my steering/front end is hurting for some love. The 285/70r17 tires are way too big and If I hit a bump and turn at the same time I'm screwed. I also get some wandering going on when driving down the road. Basically I may need to move on doing the front end suspension sooner than I wanted to because rebuilding all this just to replace it doesn't make sense to me. I already adjusted the steering box and that helped but I think these springs and shocks are smoked.

Anyone have any suggestions?!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #54

FWIW.....as you know, I have a 2008 Advanced 4x4 conversion, I'm running 285/70-17's and my van drives great with the exception of having very little suspension travel (compression), pretty much like the rest of the solid axle conversions around here.

I did have some rubbing when hitting a bump when turning...some trimming took care of 95% of that.

Before you throw the baby out with the bathwater, consider having someone take a look at your setup......OTOH if you've got your heart set on a U-Joint or agile conversion, go for it.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #55

+1

If something is bad enough to be scary... That's not the advanced conversion, that's something wrong. Plenty of folks have advanced and are not complaining about it being scary.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #56

Garage
I am not doubting the advanced conversion, I'm fairly certain it's the shocks/ springs being worn out as well as just front end wear but if I'm going to replace all that, I might as well just look at upgrading to the Dana 60 with some bigger brakes. The PO even told me that was the first thing I should do if I bought it.

So I am figuring instead of putting a bunch of money into a front end that not even advanced knows what it is ( I called them to ask), I might as well use that money towards a front end suspension I would rather have.

If that sounds like a waste of money please let me know the more cost effective option but I need bigger brakes.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input!

Old 04-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #57

Garage
I will say this, the turning radius of this rig is sweet compared to the stock one. Or maybe it's the same but I figured it wouldn't be as good, not sure ha ha.

I also have something to admit. I am now a member of the closet dash board hula girl club.

I have been looking in specialty shops and other places for a while now and never found one until today in Target of all places!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #58

Anybody know roughly what Baja charges for the Dana 44 brake upgrade? I have the 44 too and while I have had no problems with it, my brakes do leave something to be desired.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #59

I'm with you on not wanting to throw away money, but the jump from fixing what you have to going a different route altogether is probably $10,000... A pretty big jump!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #60

Garage
Well wether I go Ujoint (with their axle) or agile it would be in the 8k range. If I do the Ujoint and find a local axle it could be around 5. Either way ya it's more money than I would like to spend, that's why I was hoping you guys may have some suggestions for what to look for to fix now that may help so I don't have to.

I am assuming someone on this forum has an advanced conversion nearing 100k, if so what did you have to do around that time or after to keep your front end from getting away from you?

I am already going to drop to 265/75r16 because I have stock rims laying around and I hate when I turn a corner and hit a bump and it sounds like my fender is gonna rip off. So I am hoping that will make a good difference and I will be getting an alignment check at the same time.

Thanks!