Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #151

Garage
Boywonder - Hmmm, so the headlights in the pre 2008 aren't the same as the Post 2008? I guess I must have missed something somewhere and thought they were similar. I had talked to him about the post 2008 bigger sealed ones and they are definitely pricey but my wife's yukon has halogen lights and it makes my current ones look like a candle stick.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #152

Garage
Boy wonder - just to clarify I am referring to the lights like are on the white van on page 25 in the first post of Redoval's headlight retrofit hobby vendor thread. So it looks like they work.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #153

I hope that's not Home Depot grade 5? I question their bolt grades, since I've broken several large bolts from them using a ratchet.

I agree with Ramsey that bolts with a longer shoulder would be better. However I'm not sure grade 8 is necessarily better in that location. Grade 8 has better ultimate tensile strength, but grade 5 can yield more before failing. Without looking at the mounts in person, I'm inclined to think there may be some bending loads, in addition to the single shear load.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #154

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
What I have found is that a Grade 5 bolt will yield more before failing to be true - what it will do is yield more frequently, in one direction on a compression stroke of the shock and then the other direction on rebound. It will work harden and then brittle fail.

A Grade 8 bolt's greater tensile and shear strength will make it less likely to do this.

In the real world application of Desert Racing, 1/2 inch Grade 8 bolts have proven themselves in single shear shock mounting applications where Grade 5 has not.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #155

Garage
Carringb - ha ha no it's an ace hardware grade 5. And I went to the one of 185th and TV highway where they know their stuff. Love that location.

I assure you I will not be taking this to Baja in this configuration. This is currently my grocery getter for the time being so the biggest thing it sees is road construction.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post

In the real world application of Desert Racing, 1/2 inch Grade 8 bolts have proven themselves in single shear shock mounting applications where Grade 5 has not.
But Dessert Racing trucks have actual engineered suspensions which don't over-contrain dampers and associated mounting hardware.... Advanced seems to make do with what they find at the wrecking yard....
Old 05-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #157

[QUOTE=Advanced seems to make do with what they find at the wrecking yard....[/QUOTE]

Good grief, for all the trash talk about Advanced, (my self included or possibly leading the way) it's a wonder anyone would buy one. Still, despite all the shortcomings and poor workmanship, my Advanced conversion has proven to be quite robust. Once Ramsey tuned the suspension, it's been very reliable, easy to work on and has survived thousands of miles in Baja and beyond. The only issues I've experienced had nothing to do with Advanced, so the basic design and parts quality seem to be ok. I have no idea what grade bolts Advanced used for the shock mounts, but I would definately use grade 8 if I were changing things. The cost difference is minimal and they should be easy to find online. I would guess it's not super urgent, but a busted shock mount will definately ruin your day.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #158

Garage
Arctictraveller - I will say this about the Advanced, for being a leaf sprung Dana 44 suspension I do have a pretty tight turning radius and now that everything has been fixed back to optimal condition the only downside is the sub par steering. I drove my Wife's Yukon the other day and I felt like I was gonna run it off the road because of the amazing feedback from the steering wheel turning.

I will also say, the reason I bought this advanced conversion was because I knew it was going to get a new front suspension swap and literally the front end suspension was the only downside to this van. I just wish myself or my wife would have driven it before we bought it so I could have shaved a couple grand more off the price.

All in all I love this van and am glad I purchased it despite all my whining.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #159

FWIW, I'm quite happy with my Advanced conversion as well.....only thing I've really done to the running gear is install bigger brakes.....much bigger.....

The brakes fitted by Advanced were Chevy 2500/suburban rotors and calipers.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #160

Garage
I don't know what mine are... How did you find that out?