Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #211

Garage
Another part of his kit that I forgot to mention was the ease of installation. If you can drill holes and loosen/tighten bolts, then you can install a newer axle into your van.

It's also super cost effective for what you get. Considering I picked up this axle that's RSC capable and has the biggest brakes possible for 1650 from a yard and that was including the radius arms, all the bolts and shipping. The axle only had 65k miles on it but if you really wanted one with low miles you'd only be looking at 2500 from a yard.

If I had wanted an RSC capable axle to use with Ujoints kit (the only other DIY Kit) then I'd be looking at a lot more, and it wouldn't be stock.

Oh and if your like me and don't want a 6" lift and only want a 4", the newer axle gives the tightest turning radius.

Just some stuff I had thought about when choosing which axle to go with and figured maybe that would help someone else decide what they want.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
SSTOOOOOOPPPP!!!

Holy smokes I almost forgot the biggest improvement about the whole dang thing. The BRAKES!

These things straight up stop. Like barely hit the pedal and your done, I am glad I dont have to worry about sliding into anyone anymore like I almost did before thanks to those last minute right hand turners.

Seriously though, these brakes are the biggest reason to even consider this axle, they work great.

Stock E-series calipers?
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #213

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Stock E-series calipers?
Nope, They are the stock F250 calipers. The same exact brake setup that is on a 2013 F250.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:09 AM   #214

nice! ........as shown in the pics of the axle......
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #215

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
nice! ........as shown in the pics of the axle......
No worries, I ask a lot of questions so I don't mind answering.

Oh and I think you or someone else asked before about shaving the axle studs for the rear adapters. No modification was needed to make the 1.75" adapters work.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:29 AM   #216

Super nice set up! I just talked with MG on the phone for about a half an hour today. He told me to check out your thread here. I'm going this route. It's so much more cost effective and plus you get those brakes! I just got my 98 E350 EB a few weeks ago and I'm ready to start building it. I'm gonna start looking for an axle......
Backcountry Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #217

Your van looks great! Big improvement from when you first got it. You have mentioned it's a 4" lift but sure looks like it rides as high as mine with a 6" Ujoint lift. Did Quadvan do a small body lift?
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #218

Garage
Backcountry Pursuit - Thanks! I'm glad you like it, I am straight in love with my van now. Half the battle is finding the right axle, but once you have that it's easy to get everything else and slap it in. I don't regret going this route at all and love driving it more than ever.

Also, MG doesn't mind answering and re answering questions. Ask me how I know ha ha.

StillVannin - Thank you for the compliments! So I actually figured out the other day it's more of a 5" lift. So basically ths same height the Agile RIP kit would put you at. Quadvan wouldn't touch my van because it had already been tainted by Advanced ha ha. So nope everything was done by myself with some help from MG. I am pretty sure I could actually fit 35s under here and might try next time I need new tires and have the money to regear.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #219

I've got a few questions about axle shopping. Maybe MG will pop in too. I am going to send this over to his email as well, so don't feel obligated to answer all this if you don't know. I wanted to post it here since you are the first with this mod and others will begin searching for this information as well.

He recommended searching car-part.com. There's a ton of options to select and as I am sniffing down the path of a newer axle than I had been previously looking at, what the search parameters that I need to enter?

2013+ F250 and F350 Super Duty. I take it you need to run a search for each combination thereof. Ex 2013 F250, 2013 F350, 2014 F250, 2014 F350, so on and so forth.

Second drop down, Axle Assy. Fr (4WD w. Housing).

Once that's selected it takes you to a second page with a selection for a bunch of stuff with vehicle configurations and gear ratios. It's getting regeared anyways, so that doesn't matter so much. Does it matter if the vehicle was a Pick up or a Chassis Cab? I would imagine not. Does it matter if it was SRW or DRW? I would imagine not since that obviously talks about the rear axle.

What was the wide track? I found an article on it and it was an option. Once again, I assume I don't want this option because it's going on a van.

I wish you could run wider search parameters to include all the possible options in one search.

Your axle was really complete and you removed a bunch of stuff you didn't need. What is the minimum parts list for axle?

My van is pre-RSC. Any compatibility issues with that?

My van also has a much older, and probably dumber, ABS computer. Any issues with the tone ring on this newer axle interfacing with the computer from 1998?

Last question, what is the stock gearing in your axles? Happy with it running on the 33's? I'm planning to go to 35's.

Thanks!
Backcountry Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry Pursuit View Post
what the search parameters that I need to enter?
2013+ F250 and F350 Super Duty if you want to be sure to have the big brakes come with it. SRW. Not wide track.

Quote:

Your axle was really complete and you removed a bunch of stuff you didn't need. What is the minimum parts list for axle?
If you're going for a low-miles take out, try to get the complete front including radius arms, all the bolts, tie rods, drag link. Don't need springs or the trac bar. Call the wrecking yard that lists the axle and talk to them about just dropping out the complete front. It should be easy for them to disconnect the springs, trac bar, drag link, brake lines and radius arms and put the whole thing on a pallet. The steering parts and radius arms aren't huge sellers for salvaged parts so getting them included with your axle purchase should be an easy negotiation and probably not much more $ involved.

Quote:

My van is pre-RSC. Any compatibility issues with that?

My van also has a much older, and probably dumber, ABS computer. Any issues with the tone ring on this newer axle interfacing with the computer from 1998?
The connectors to hook up the wheel speed sensors are different but I've found the part number for the correct connector housing/terminals (will be included in kit) and replacing those is relatively is easy with the right crimp tool. Josh and I haven't met up again to clear the ABS module codes (from driving around without things hooked up for a while) so I'm not sure if this is 100% solved yet but no doubt I'll have a solution soon.

Quote:

Last question, what is the stock gearing in your axles? Happy with it running on the 33's? I'm planning to go to 35's.

Thanks!
35s will fit but I'll probably trim my fender a little because the tires are close when turning/bump travel. I'm regearing to 4.10s for my van with 35s.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote