Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
I think as long as you don't expect the springs to come at the actual time that Chris says it takes then you will be ok emotionally. Nothing against Chris as he is just passing on what he is being told but just FYI.

Another + for MGs kit in the spring availability department. Everything except for his actual brackets (that came from him) I got next day through Amazon, Ebay or the Ford dealer. It can't get much easier than that.
There is a lot to be said for using off the shelf parts too! It is really nice to be able to get parts anywhere, quickly.

Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:29 AM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post

Another + for MGs kit in the spring availability department. Everything except for his actual brackets (that came from him) I got next day through Amazon, Ebay or the Ford dealer. It can't get much easier than that.
I know you got your rear springs from Ujoint. Did MG ever spec out rear springs? Are there any other options anyone has come across besides Ujoint? I was told six weeks when I ordered on 8-10. It'll be 7 weeks tomorrow and no word on shipping. Seriously, it can't be that involved to make leaf springs. I know Chris is really frustrated with the guy he uses. He said they used to do a ton of business and will be doing less and less in the future.

On another note, I get to do battle with the salvage yard I got my axle from. "It's got 3.73 gears, right?" "You're sure it's got 3.73 gears?" I asked like five times. Went at the axle with the wire brush last night and there stares 4.30 back me from the data plate after I cleaned the crud off. Crap.

It's obviously not the end of the world since that is the end goal for gearing. However, coming up with an extra $800 for a gear change in the rear axle wasn't in the cards right now. I am already going to have to magically make $2500 appear that I don't have to rebuild the tranny when the tail housing gets changed to 4wd. Oh, and I had planned to add a truetrac to the rear when I actually cracked it open to go from 3.73 to 4.30 so add another $550 on top of the re-gear cost. Ugh. Why can't anything ever be easy? If it has nuts and bolts and is made of metal, it surely will be a PITA.

Happy thoughts...it will be super duper sweet when it is done.

Jsweezy, I feel ya on the headaches.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #283

Garage
Wow, first off sorry to hear about your axle issues. The springs I gave a clear warning about so I think you were already prepared for that wait.

Unfortunately MG hasn't found anyone else to make the spring packs but you could get them from Agile or Deaver. The only difference with going that route is that they are more expensive. Honestly I am starting to think that Agile's custom rear spring packs may be better than Ujoints just based on the differences but I dont really know. Oh and while Chris is frustrated, he has been frustrated for a while. I can't imagine it would be difficult to have already talked to a different spring company by now and basically redo what his current guy does. But why when we keep buying them? ha ha

DUDE! 4.30s! I think you would be happier going that route, are you planning on running 35s/315s? You could always just leave the front driveline off until you have the money to put into the rear axle. Ya that sucks but I think you will be happier with the 4.30s if you do plan on going with bigger tires and the 6" lift.

If it were me, I would get the kit on, be super happy with the new and amazing driving characteristics and then go after the tranny. Once thats done give it a little more time and then just do the rear axle/driveline/exhaust all at once.

And actually, have you looked into throwing a Sterling 10.5 with 4.30 gears in? Do you already have a full float? I know its annoying to have to go from spacers to a whole new rear axle but with a 1998 vehicle you have the luxury of tossing a sterling in since you dont have rsc.

Holy smokes I keep making it more and more expensive as I type ha ha. I guess if your going to pay to have gears changed and what not you might as well do it in an axle you want to keep forever!

How soon do you need this to be 4wd? ha ha

Yep, dang vans can be a love/hate. Hopefully the yard will throw you some cash to "swap out the front gears" and you can just take that and put it into the rear.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #284

Garage
Backcountry - Here is a list of 2005-2007 F250 rear axles that could be tossed under your van that already have 4.30s...

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Just kidding it doesn't work, but I would go that route.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #285

You did warn me. However, if the standard has become 10+ weeks for springs, why is Chris still telling new customers 6 weeks when he knows dang well its going to take longer?

It may be one of those silver linings with the axle. In the end it will actually save me money by not having to pay for new gears in the front. It's not so much what it will cost in the end, it is the unexpected cost of the new gears to come before the end of 2016 vs late 2017 like I had planned. It chews up all the money I had planned to use on insulation and a super basic interior so I could actually use the thing to chase snow and ski this winter. The money from selling my beloved Tundra is gone and I back on a small business owner's diet in the middle of my two slowest months out of the year. Busy season looms though and I think the boss is gonna get a bonus this year.

I do have a D60FF. Except it's under a 2000 parts van right now. My 98 has the standard semi. I'm into that FF for almost nothing. I'm in discussions with Chris via email right not to find out what it will take to get that thing under my van. I am not sure if the D60FF they put under the van in 2000 was the same or even close to the 10.5 in the 05-07 trucks. I'm still a Padawan learner, not a Jedi yet.

Searching car-part I could get a 10.5 out of a truck for under a grand. I think I remember getting a quote for new gears as $800 an axle. It may actually be cheaper to get a 10.5 and get Chris' conversion kit.

I had hoped to be 4WD capable by mid to late November when the snow flies. Leaving the driveline off is an option, but certainly not what the goal was. I did get 315/70-17 and 4.30 was the plan. That puts it back to pretty much dead on stock with the bigger tires. I would have looked really hard at 4.56 but I am going to see a ton of highway and maybe 4.30 is best in the end.

I need to get hard numbers together and talk to the salvage yard. I am going to play it off like I need to change it back to 3.73 and use the money to change the rear. I'll hold that card close that 4.30 is actually what I want. I'm going to ask for a grand back out of the $1900 I paid. They still get $900 that way and I will be happy if I get anywhere close to that. If they tell me to bend over, I'll be chatting with my credit card issuer to start a dispute and a charge back.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #286

Garage
Ya, I dunno. Chris should really just say to expect a 3 month wait, that way when they show up early we are all ecstatic and talking about how fast they pump them out ha ha.

The dana 60 from the 2000 would be easy to put in, just pull it off the other van and put it on yours. I don't know what that gearing is but I am sure going that route would make the most sense since its already setup for a van and you would just need to re gear. I hear the full floats are fine, hell a lot of us are running the semi float and won't ever have to worry about it.

I dont think its the same as the sterling but its still a full float and would save you that money.

At least you have options and a way to get everything you wanted. If nothing else this is actually saved you money by not having to re gear both axles like you said, and since it was mistake hopefully you can just get both 4.30 for free essentially.

4.56s would be too much, I think the 4.30 is gonna be what your looking for. Even though I have the torque shift I am running the 3.73s and it still can scoot just fine when I punch it.

Ya all this stuff sucks but I think it comes with the DIY side of it, and is part of the adventure. Now when I see my van and think about everything I have had to do to get it where it should be, I am just like holy smokes!

Old 09-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #287

Built not bought. There's a lot of pride and accomplishment that comes with that.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #288

Garage
Very true, but also a lot of ibuprofen...

Old 09-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #289

Sent you a PM Backcountry. I have a 3:73 gear set available for a D60 FF
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #290

I have 315/75-16 with the 7.3 and 4.10 gears. Van weighs close to 10,000lbs. My rpm at 60-65mph is around 1950rpm which is great but comes a small hill and my egt start climbing way faster than before. I now have to pay attention to my gauge which never happened before. For long and big hills I need to kick the OD and keep it around 55mph to keep egt below 1000.

If I were you I'd keep the 4.30...

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote