Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #391

Garage
Advanced, Im sorry.

I am sorry Advanced for assuming that you put the wrong transfer case linkage on my van when in fact you used the correct linkage and I just didn't know how to use it correctly. If theres one thing that you did correctly its making sure that the tranny and transfer case where mated together correctly and that you could shift it from 2wd to 4wd.

SO now I know, it feels sketchy because to get to 4lo you have to move the lever left and then back.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
....so I ordered the $29 boot. Big thanks to BoyWonder for figuring that one out for me and letting the forum know so I could order one.
Hey Josh, I missed this I guess. I'm rounding up parts for my conversion too. Where did you get the boot/shifter? I guess I'm asking exactly what is the original Advanced stuff and what you replaced, just the boot? Could you post a link?

Thanks
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #393

Garage
86scotty - Ha, ya that kind of turned into a mess.

So advanced had put on the correct part that everyone else uses and it's part number 4C3Z-7210-BA. It's meant to be used on 2004-2006 Ford superduty trucks. I still haven't located the actual shift lever which I really want to replace because unlike Boywonder's mine is bent and I think it's making it harder to shift.

Honestly if I was in your position I would just order the kit that Ujoint sells for 350$ and be done. It comes with everything you would need, because it's easy to find the piece mentioned above, but it's hard to find everything else associated with it. And personally I wouldn't go with the boot style that I have unless you really like it because it's really smashed in the front when the van is in 2wd which is most of the time.

Also if you go with Ujoints kit it comes with a spacer that moves the shift lever further to the rear so it's less in the way when your moving in and out of the front seat from inside the van.

If you do happen to find the rest of the parts associated with the main part please let me know!

Old 12-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #394

Early riser?

Thanks man, I've got Ujoint's kit in mind but also have a call in to Quigley about this. Sabrina (The awesomely helpful lady at Quigley) is trying to track me down an E-series kit which is now old stock for them. She has some somewhere and I'm hoping for a screaming deal. My MG parts pile is getting expensive. I really like the knob on yours, I guess that's Advanced as well?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #395

Garage
I have a 15 month old son that has a strict schedule of waking up at 4-430, eating and then hanging out for an hour before getting crabby and going back to bed after I've already had coffee and can't go back to sleep. Struggle.

No I think the knob is the same one on Ujoints kit and is just standard. That little main piece alone "on sale" is still like 90$ and then finding everything else would just be a pain so if I was buying new I don't think Chris's kit is a bad deal. Maybe since your ordering so much other stuff he will cut you a deal.

4x4 vans aren't cheap but not having to pay for the labor to install makes them a lot cheaper.

That would definitely be cool to find one through Quigley if they won't be using them anymore.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #396

Garage

Here is the picture of the kit that Chris sells from his website.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #397

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Hey Ranchero - I commented on the page you asked this on before but had a heck of a time finding that you even asked it so I'm glad you asked it again here.
Doh! Thanks!
2006 E350 RB-31 MG Metalworks/UJOR 4x4 swap (on to another)
ranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #398

Garage
No problem!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #399

Garage
Advanced, Just kidding

So actually I retract half of my apology to advanced from before since they only did half of the connection to the transfercase correctly.

Upon closer inspection for whatever reason insteading of having a straight connection in between where the shift lever base is (straight shiny bar in Ujoint kit photo) and the transfercase it's some sort of weird bend black bar. I am guessing as soon as that's fixed it will make shifting the transfercase a little smoother and less of a chore.

And yes I know to put the vehicle in neutral before trying to shift the transfercase and in some cases rolling at 3mph or less will help getting into 4lo.

Edit - Here is exhibit A of what Advanced did instead of just using the correct part (see below for correct part)...

WHY?!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #400

Garage
OK so since 86 Scotty wanted more info about the transfer case shifter, I said by goodness I better find that gosh darn info.

*Full disclosure - MG sent me the link to a thread with all of this info so I really only did half the work, MG did the digging so I had something to start with*

I prefer all Ford OEM stuff on my van unless for whatever reason it will not without a doubt work on my van. Here are the parts numbers from top to bottom that I did find if you want to go this route. I am trying to include pictures if possible.

Ford Shifter Lever Knob - 4L3Z-7213-AB

Ford Shifter Lever Upper - F81Z-7210-AB

Ford Shifter Lever Lower - 4C3Z-7210-BA

Ford Gear Change Rod - 4C3Z-7B051-FA

(Ideally if you get an NV271 transfer case thats setup correctly you shouldn't need this next part but ill put it here just for reference)
Ford Gear Change Rod - 6C3Z-7B106-A

And that concludes the list. The stock ford boot won't work with these vans because they are made for the truck floor which has the tunnel and we are putting the shift lever to the right of our drivers seat which is a flat surface.

I have this setup if you wanted to go with the round boot -

Kenworth 7 1/8" rubber shifter boot / Dorman 924-5406

Kenworth 7" Round shift boot trim ring

Honestly if you dont want to go through all this hassle of buying parts individually then just order the kit from Chris at Ujoint Offroad. But if you want all genuine ford parts without a spacer moving the shifter to the rear then go this route. Mine doesn't have a spacer moving the shifter to the rear and you can see where its located below.

You will need the two bolts that attach the shifter to the side of the transmission and the shift lever to the shifter but that should be the only hardware it requires. I will get the dimensions off of mine when I go to swap mine and edit this post to reflect.

Here is a picture of what this setup looks like and the placement of the shifter next to the seat without any extra spacers to the rear like Ujoint includes.

Feel free to bug me with any questions!