Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #471

Garage
Thanks, and yep it's basically the oem window, just with a frame around it. I really liked how it stayed within the "window body line" and was also super long.

The window is VW21611R. The R is for Right side so if you wanted the same window on the drivers side it would just be L instead of R.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #472

Came out awesome Josh! Glad to be able to help.

You should just keep his van. It is a really nice rig and you have tweaked it really well. Do a roughed in interior to see if you like the layout, use it, and final it when you get it where it works best.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #473

Great job. It looks fantastic.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #474

Garage
Thanks guys!

Old 01-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
..just modify the world around him to make it easier on me ha ha.
Sage parenting advice
Old 01-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #476

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by killacks View Post
Sage parenting advice
Oh no, definitely don't take parenting advice from me ha ha

Old 01-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #477

Garage
Aft Axle Fuel Tank (55 Gal)

Well mods are slowing down (potentially stopped on this van if it sells) and its time to get down to the last thing I have already paid for (mostly) installed if it doesn't. My 55 gallon aft axle fuel tank.

It looked to be in decent condition until I noticed it the other day when I was cleaning up the shop and saw that a lot of the paint had come up and it was rusted underneath. I was going to paint it anyway but decided now to totally strip it down to bare metal first instead of just touching it up.

I had debated on how I was going to go about stripping the paint off of it and had considered some paint stripper but I hate dealing with chemicals if I don't have to and love power tools. I decided to use an angle grinder with a wire wheel first just to get the majority of the crap off and then a paint stripping disc second to get it down to bare metal. I also decided I am only going to do one side per day because it takes about an hour per side from start to finish and I don't feel like doing this tank for 6 hours straight. In fact, if I did try to do that it would probably turn into more like 8 hours because I would get tired and start slowing down, water breaks, etc.

Here I have already gone over the side with the wire wheel and have started to go over it with the paint stripper -

Here I have gotten the side totally stripped and wiped it down with some acetone to get a clean surface -

Here it is painted -

I learned my lesson the last time I needed to paint something and it was this cold (32*) in the shop and all I had was spray paint that wouldn't come out. So last time I was at home depot I got a can of some black paint and some foam brushes for when I wanted to paint something. I found it was actually kind of nice to apply the paint manually instead of just spray it on and get crap everywhere, borderline therapeutic.

One side down, five more to go...

Old 01-02-2017, 10:50 PM   #478

Looking good. What paint and primer did you use?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:14 AM   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Ha ha, I wish this wasn't true. If I was the manager of a shop and someone walked in and said, "I am experiencing this and I would like X service performed as I believe it will fix it" and is willing to pay whatever that service would cost then by all means I will do exactly what they ask. The owner of the car obviously has more stock in this vehicle than I do and has spent more time on the road with it than anyone else. And who cares?! If its what they want and they were wrong, I can just fall back on the "I was just doing what you asked me to do" and not the "Well I did what I thought was good enough"

Also, another funny part in all this. When the manager that I had been dealing with came back to tell me about the one tire (of course it was only one...) that they had to replace, I asked him to confirm that it was in fact the one that I told him it would be. He then gave me a stary gaze up into the heavens and searched deep within his memory to tell me that he was "pretty sure" that it was the passenger front not the passenger rear like I had thought...

Seriously?! You literally just walked from my van, where you consulted with the tire technicians, and you cant remember what wheel it was? I think he knew which wheel it was but conveniently "couldn't remember" because that would have confirmed that I knew what the heck was going on. Two days earlier I had swapped the passenger side front to the rear because I had a suspicion that was the bad tire and all of my issues went away, as well as the noisy front tire now became the noisy rear tire.

So I go to hop back in the van after the work was done and sure enough the passenger rear tire was brand new. I am not sure if they always mount them on the rear when they are new (I thought I remembered hearing that at some point somewhere) but of course the invoice I had stated that that's why it was back there.

Sometimes life is so frustrating for the dumbest reasons and obviously, no, I am not still irritated about "The Tire Incident"...
LOL. I dread mechanics in NYC. They are beyond perplexed when their customers are not idiots. I have to drive past 1/2 million people just find an auto store (thats just a few miles but still) People only go to dealers around here. *shiver* Part of the reason I've got more tools and parts than some service stations.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #480

Haha yeah that cold spray paint...

I always forget about it, but a friend of mine has rolled on rustoleum paint on several projects and it turns out pretty good, for what it is. As an added bonus, you have get black paint all over the shop floor (sorry about that!) and you don't have to clay bar every nearby vehicle to clean off the overspray (you'd think I would learn).
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote