Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #11

Dude, sweet van! Thanks for the real world feedback and for documenting your upgrades. Keep it coming.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Where might one or two of us find such devices, those you'd recommend that is?
one source is Airbag Simulator/Disconnect

There's enough info on the internet to DIY if you want to go that route.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #13

Garage
Hi Eric,

Nice to see that you've a new project! I like your Transit and the work you started in.
If I can, there is one thing I wouldn't go with: underneath your heater, the fuel inlet line (the small white hose we can see on both last pictures) is really exposed to branches, stones, etc. I would personaly redrive it to better protect it...

Looking forward to see next steps of your build soon.
Cheers,

Claude
Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #14

Thanks Claude, that's a good idea. It's a work in progress any weekend that I'm home and have a few hours. There are many things that aren't completely finished.

Continued....My cabinet ideas are still pretty fluid but after kicking my chest refrigerator around for awhile I decided i really was going to be happier with a front door model. I think the chest type are more efficient but I stuff this van full of cargo in a hurry sometimes and need to maximize space and efficiency inside. Also, I don't buy food at all on the road if I can help it. I take pre-made things or make quick meals as I go. I'm not at all a fast food fan. For that reason I like a big refrigerator. I dropped by Truckfridge in Georgetown Ky to pick up the perfect tool for the job, a T130 like I put in my SMB. My jaw dropped when they told me they were sold out and on back order for several months. MONTHS? I was about head out when I thought to ask if he'd sell me the demo model off the floor. He was happy to and I got a nice discount.

A huge advantage of the Transit is square walls, or at least almost perfectly square. It makes building low cabinets a breeze.

Another goal for this tiny galley was a simple plumbing system. After rehabbing a Vanagon Westfalia this past year I knew just what would work. The in-tank submersible pump with on/off switch in the handle used on Westy's is ideal. Cold water is all I need. I went with a Dometic/SMEV combination sink/stove (A hob, the lads call it) and built the cabinet around a 7 gallon Aquatainer for fresh water.

Vanilla by 86scotty, on Flickr

To achieve my goal of a 4x8' cargo space (2 standard pallets) and also to be able to pop the jumpseats in factory track locations and still have foot space for the kids I recessed the Aquatainer in to the wall. Above that recess I have 2awg run through a 100 amp breaker from my isolator and used an old section of plastic pipe for a wire run for all future wiring. It's not one of those picture perfect wiring layouts. I can do those but rarely do if it's going to be hidden.

Gray water drain open to ground below. All I need need. A bucket under it works for me on the seldom occasions I'm in an actual campground.

All plumbed in and shored up enough to make that first cup of coffee:

This is very temporary. All cabinetry will be pulled back apart for molding and stain. I still haven't decided on a countertop material yet. I had thought of butcher block. I'll finalize that eventually. For now it's usable.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #15

Garage
This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing. Makes it look so doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #16

Is that a combo sink / 1 burner stove?

never seen that before

wow - cool!

what sort of fuel drives the stove?

(we dont plan on having propane piping in our future build)

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Thanks Claude, that's a good idea. It's a work in progress any weekend that I'm home and have a few hours. There are many things that aren't completely finished.

Continued....My cabinet ideas are still pretty fluid but after kicking my chest refrigerator around for awhile I decided i really was going to be happier with a front door model. I think the chest type are more efficient but I stuff this van full of cargo in a hurry sometimes and need to maximize space and efficiency inside. Also, I don't buy food at all on the road if I can help it. I take pre-made things or make quick meals as I go. I'm not at all a fast food fan. For that reason I like a big refrigerator. I dropped by Truckfridge in Georgetown Ky to pick up the perfect tool for the job, a T130 like I put in my SMB. My jaw dropped when they told me they were sold out and on back order for several months. MONTHS? I was about head out when I thought to ask if he'd sell me the demo model off the floor. He was happy to and I got a nice discount.

A huge advantage of the Transit is square walls, or at least almost perfectly square. It makes building low cabinets a breeze.

Another goal for this tiny galley was a simple plumbing system. After rehabbing a Vanagon Westfalia this past year I knew just what would work. The in-tank submersible pump with on/off switch in the handle used on Westy's is ideal. Cold water is all I need. I went with a Dometic/SMEV combination sink/stove (A hob, the lads call it) and built the cabinet around a 7 gallon Aquatainer for fresh water.

To achieve my goal of a 4x8' cargo space (2 standard pallets) and also to be able to pop the jumpseats in factory track locations and still have foot space for the kids I recessed the Aquatainer in to the wall. Above that recess I have 2awg run through a 100 amp breaker from my isolator and used an old section of plastic pipe for a wire run for all future wiring. It's not one of those picture perfect wiring layouts. I can do those but rarely do if it's going to be hidden.

Gray water drain open to ground below. All I need need. A bucket under it works for me on the seldom occasions I'm in an actual campground.

All plumbed in and shored up enough to make that first cup of coffee:

This is very temporary. All cabinetry will be pulled back apart for molding and stain. I still haven't decided on a countertop material yet. I had thought of butcher block. I'll finalize that eventually. For now it's usable.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #17

LA, I forgot to mention that. It is a propane stove. Somewhere along the way I picked up a hose with a regulator that fits this stove perfectly. It accepts a 1 lb propane cylinder. 3/8 npt flare on the stove end and 1 lb bottle attachment on the other.
I have been using this stove almost daily for a month and am still on my first bottle. I have no idea how.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #18

Great thread ,thanks for going into the detail.Have been looking at some form of heat for our van and I like how you set yours up.Was looking at the Webasto as we also have a gas van, but looking at the BTU output Planar is way up there.
Great ideas, thanks!
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
LA, I forgot to mention that. It is a propane stove. Somewhere along the way I picked up a hose with a regulator that fits this stove perfectly. It accepts a 1 lb propane cylinder. 3/8 npt flare on the stove end and 1 lb bottle attachment on the other.
I have been using this stove almost daily for a month and am still on my first bottle. I have no idea how.

Wow - fantastic! I love it. amazing

I just found a similar Dometic.... about $500

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...ink-no-faucet/

looks super space efficient.

I guess i could put in a hot / cold faucet?

thanks

john
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #20

Great Thread!

Excellent detail, thanks for sharing! subscribed
cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote