Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Welcome. If you're new here and in to what you see you can really lose some time and learn a lot in the home build section here. It's not that active lately but some of the builds documented here years ago are some of the most awesome vans I know of. Here's a sampling:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ild-11029.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...d-up-8636.html
(all the really amazing final pics posted on a Google link, post 83)

Hijacking my own post here but alas....
Great builds, thanks! I have also gone to a couple of the SoCal meet ups, good people and a source for ideas.

cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #72

I got one of my forward cabinets built finally. The Transit tapers down and in towards the front so it took a little creativity. The good news is there are pre-tapped holes all along the van above the window line so it's very simple to bolt cabinets to them. I have no idea if the cargo models have these mounting points.

Untitled by 86scotty, on Flickr

Also, popped the middle seats in and headed to Florida with the family for a few days. The center seat layout works great.

I'm hoping to get some cabinets stained, molded and doors/drawers built soon. I have no idea what I'm going to do to trim the headliner/roof panel junction. I might attempt to cut the original headliner around the cabinets at the front and rear but cutting that properly is a one shot deal.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #73

Looks great Eric. Even has a banana hook!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Looks great Eric. Even has a banana hook!
The banana hook is paramount.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #75

Quote:
I got one of my forward cabinets built finally. The Transit tapers down and in towards the front so it took a little creativity. The good news is there are pre-tapped holes all along the van above the window line so it's very simple to bolt cabinets to them. I have no idea if the cargo models have these mounting points.

Also, popped the middle seats in and headed to Florida with the family for a few days. The center seat layout works great.

I'm hoping to get some cabinets stained, molded and doors/drawers built soon. I have no idea what I'm going to do to trim the headliner/roof panel junction. I might attempt to cut the original headliner around the cabinets at the front and rear but cutting that properly is a one shot deal.

That looks really good.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #76

Quote:

Gosh, looking really nice. I wish my cabinets were half as good.

The cargo van has two sorts of holes: just plain "holes" that will accommodate 1/4" PlusNuts, and the M8 threaded holes which are there for the seatbelts that aren't needed in a cargo van. I am using both -- as available -- to secure cabinets.

In you photos I don't see the "foam blobs" at the juncture of cab and body that protect the airbag actuator in the cargo van. Correct? Is there an extended headliner that protects the actuators?

Also, is that the Lagun table support? I am leaning toward getting one. What are the dimensions of your top?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg View Post
Gosh, looking really nice. I wish my cabinets were half as good.

In you photos I don't see the "foam blobs" at the juncture of cab and body that protect the airbag actuator in the cargo van. Correct? Is there an extended headliner that protects the actuators?

Also, is that the Lagun table support? I am leaning toward getting one. What are the dimensions of your top?
Thanks Meredith, the passenger vans don't have the foam blobs because they have air vents and airbags all the way up the sides above the windows. I ripped all that out since I'm using mine for cargo purposes. I had to get some airbag 'tricking' resistors that keep my airbag light off. Many wouldn't be comfortable with this mod but I am now that it's been awhile. No light, no problem.

That's the Lagun. I've got a thread on it linked above in this thread somewhere. It's also on the Transit Forum. Lots of info there. The top is about 16"x24". I am very happy with the size. Good enough for a laptop and my dinner, which is how I'm typing right now.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #78

Progress is slow lately but I finally got my over counter lights installed. I also put my overheads on a double switch next to the cabinet light switch. I have two for the overheads. The remote for them is inside the slider door.

Looking at my cabinets in pictures makes me really wish I had time to pull them apart and stain and T-mold them. Unfortunately that will render the van useless for a week or two.