Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #21

Re: The Zombie Van Build (feat. REDOVAL)

The Zombie Van is back in my hands after a week-long spa treatment at Redoval's Retreat.

Here are a few pics after coming out of the tint shop with a nice helping of ceramic tint @ 20% for the rears and 30% for the front windows. Nothing done to the windshield.

The difference is night and day, so to speak, where all the glass is uniform and not scraped up and janky.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4506.jpg   IMG_4502.jpg   IMG_4503.jpg  

Old 03-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #22

Here are a couple of pics of the Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS head unit in action.

Playing HD Radio:

And with the Rear-View Camera engaged:

So, awesome.

Scott also installed this with the six new Pioneer speakers. When it was all fired up, it was determined we didn't need to add the two vintage Rockford-Fosgate Punch amps and JL subs that I had been hoarding at this time, or maybe ever. It all sounded that good.

We are still trying to figure out how to hook up the Front-View camera inputs. Anybody know anything, please let us know.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4508.jpg   IMG_4509.jpg  
Old 03-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #23

Garage

I liked that Pioneer deck so much I went out and bought my own today! We will get the camera inputs sorted out for sure!

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #24

Nice work guys! Cant wait for my lights to come in!

Is that head unit a direct fit, meaning other then harness no other fit kits are required?

Thanks
Morgan
Old 03-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #25

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdadmorgan
Nice work guys! Cant wait for my lights to come in!

Is that head unit a direct fit, meaning other then harness no other fit kits are required?

Thanks
Morgan
Morgan,
The head unit requires a very minimal fit kit that takes up about a 1/2" gap on each side. With a double din install you do need to remove the upper and lower lip of the stock radio bezel to allow it to slide in. The harness is a normal setup.

I can't wait to get mine installed. I made a call from Nobbie's van with the 7.3 diesel humming away at full tilt and the person I spoke with said they could hear me just fine. That's impressive!

Scott
Old 03-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #26

Nice! Does the unit have it’s own mic built in? Also any recommendations on a camera to use?
It has been a while since I have been into the ICE (in car entertainment), or should I say IVE... I definitely plan on using some of my older, but quality stereo items in my build.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #27

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdadmorgan
Nice! Does the unit have it’s own mic built in? Also any recommendations on a camera to use?
It has been a while since I have been into the ICE (in car entertainment), or should I say IVE... I definitely plan on using some of my older, but quality stereo items in my build.
It comes with its own standalone mic. Got mine installed this evening and I have to say, it's a very nice deck for the money.

As far as cameras go, they are all fairly decent. Mine was like $12 and the picture looks just like Nobbie's above. Coming from my pioneer avic-n3 this screen seems even better.

Scott
Old 03-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #28

Garage

Found two more pics from the stage 1 build. The original XL side panel on the driver's side had been cut about 6" short for one reason or another. We got a replacement unit from an XLT van that fit great and allows for the new middle speaker XLT option as well. We will find another set of cup holders and ash tray to make the piece look as though it came from the factory as original. It has since been cleaned and is in great condition. Next on the list is to figure out the B-Pillar trim situation as they had been "manipulated" for some mounting brackets as well.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20150314_111458.jpg   20150314_111236.jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #29

So, today, the last day before taking off on our Armageddon Compound Scouting Expedition, I finally got off my lazy duff to build the sleeping platform.

This was designed to accommodate me and two of my kids, aged 18 and 20. We plan on sleeping sideways on a queen-sized futon. The platform was designed to have the bed height be where the maximum space can be used to sleep sideways. Window-to-window is 6 feet four inches.

After a few stalls, we got it figured out.

Here, my oldest, who isn't going on the trip, but helped me the most, mainly so I wouldn't be a big crybaby, is attaching the cross bars to the frame. The frame measures 80" long by 49" wide and 21" high.

Here the frame is inside the Zombie Van. We had to remove on side of the frame to get it into the van. Ooops!

And here is two sheets of 3/8" particle board, cut down to 48" x 80, placed one on top of the other in a staggered layer, with the extra material providing filler for the steps. Total height of the platform is about 22" high.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8071.jpg   IMG_4540.jpg   IMG_4541.jpg  
Old 03-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #30

The reluctant helper is marking where to drop the drywall screws into the double layer particle board into the wooden frame.

The futon is a folding futon from Amazon and it's 4" thick. With the addition of a padded mattress topper, waterproof cover and a zippered futon case, the thickness is a solid 5-6". It puts the top of the bed just about even with the bottom of the side glass.

Notice the bed is not as wide as the platform. Queen-sized beds are 80" long by 60" wide. That's five feet. The tallest of the three of us, my son, is only 5'10", so he should fit fine. We'll just add rolled up towels or blankets to fill the gaps between the mattress and the window.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4542.jpg   IMG_4543-1.jpg   IMG_4544-1.jpg