Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #51

Re: The Zombie Van Build (feat. REDOVAL)

AND a horn where some previous bozo had cut off the pigtail. Can you imagine how annoying it is to drive around without a "hey you!" horn on such a beast?

Also added a new windshield for safety's sake.

AND just put down a deposit to have Derel install his new insulated mid-profile pop-top, solar panels to charge the house batteries Scott will install after our Bay Area jaunt to move Berkeley Boy into his new digs, and to coat the entire monster in putty gray Scorpion (Rhino) coating to lose the Molestovan look. (I'm tired of mothers giving me the eye.)

Slowly, but surely, the Zombie Van is becoming what we envisioned. The kids are already claiming inheritance of it. Um, I'm not quite ready to give it up yet! Little urchins!

Old 05-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #52

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubnobbie
AND a horn where some previous bozo had cut off the pigtail. Can you imagine how annoying it is to drive around without a "hey you!" horn on such a beast?

Also added a new windshield for safety's sake.

AND just put down a deposit to have Derel install his new insulated mid-profile pop-top, solar panels to charge the house batteries Scott will install after our Bay Area jaunt to move Berkeley Boy into his new digs, and to coat the entire monster in putty gray Scorpion (Rhino) coating to lose the Molestovan look. (I'm tired of mothers giving me the eye.)

Slowly, but surely, the Zombie Van is becoming what we envisioned. The kids are already claiming inheritance of it. Um, I'm not quite ready to give it up yet! Little urchins!

The kids will have to earn this one! More camping trips might get them a shoe-in on the short list though!

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #53

Time sure flies when you're having conniptions over what to do next to your build. Here's a quick update:

After a harrowing traverse across the super-stormy continental divide, I left the Zombie Van parked behind a Denver airport hotel for Derek of Colorado Camper Vans to pick up the following morning.

Having never met Derek in person had all sorts of thoughts going through my pea-sized brain. But the trusting Midwestern roots in me took over and trusted all would be well.

Derek isn't the fastest to respond to queries of any nature. But that's just because he's super-swamped. We talked about that and he's working on offloading the communication aspect of the operation. He does eventually get back to you. Which seems to be the case with a number of our hobby's vendors. But, that's best left to another thread.

After a couple of weeks, Derek sent me some pics.

I opted for the new mid-height top of Derek's design. I can tell a lot of practicality went into it. I would have wished the front to be a bit swoopier, but I'm splitting hairs from an aesthetic standpoint. I like the added room over the low-pro top, for sure, though.

After much ribbing from my kids, coworkers and friends about the "molest-o-van" white look, I had Derek and crew slather on a bunch of bed liner coating in an Audi Nardo Gray color Scorpion (Rhino) Coating. The above pics look a lot darker than in reality. And it's definitely a 25-footer. Drips and runs and smears everywhere. I'm not going to sweat it, though. Who needs a pretty boy paint job? I sure didn't want to pay for one!

More pics and updates to come.
nobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #54

First night camping in the new Penthouse. Aside from the faint new top smell, all was well.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #55

"We" had a helluva time installing the Aluminess nerf bars. The instructions leave a whole lot to be desired. Maybe I should offer my talents in that department.

Regardless, we figured it out and it's a vast improvement over the janky running boards there.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #56

Took the Zombie Van camping at San Onofre State Beach. With the top up and all the windows open, napping in 90 degree weather was rather comfy with a nice breeze.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #57

The rear bumper looked like it snagged something on the driver side and got pulled out. So, I took it to a parking lot with huge concrete footers to conduct a little ghetto bodywork.

Came out okay, me thinks!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #58

nice progress.
got a picture with the top down?

scott - now that I got a new daily driver maybe its time i send you my van to work on some stuff

-Rodel
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #59
Site Team

The opposite of most requests here, but how about a pic with the top down?

Herb
Old 08-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #60

LOL! Okay, okay!

Here are some pics with the top down.

With the new Fiamma awning (Thank you Ray [1der] for being my awning mule from Aluminess in San Diego to our Long Beach Meetup and, of course for the sweet bracket prototypes.)

With the awning deployed.

And the muy macho F150 double-stalk towing Power mirrors that Scott installed. No more floppy ears!