Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2022, 12:09 AM   #1

Trailkitchens

Anyone ever use trailkitchens wheel well cabinets/bed system? I was researching plans to build over the wheel wells but considering spending my time on another project and finding some prefabricated help. Anyone else doing this sort of thing off the shelf?

https://trailkitchens.com/products/c...-well-cabinets

Cheers!

stesmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:36 AM   #2
Site Team

I've been getting their ads lately, and they look interesting. No experience with them however.

Herb
Old 01-30-2022, 08:30 AM   #3

I have one of their kitchens which I like and works for me. The overall construction is square aluminum tubing with plastic connectors, pop rivets, laminated sheet plastic. Light and strong. Decent systems if you aren't a custom builder.
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:38 AM   #4

Could have gone better

Well, I ended up taking a chance on Trail Kitchens wheel well cabinets. My overall experience has been mediocre at best. Build quality is excellent, made in America, and a lightweight solution for storage and a bed. It’s great to have an open floor for everyday hauling and utility when removing the bed panels. Prices are expensive, but not egregiously so for the quality.

The cabinets themselves, while well built are probably 3-6 inches too tall and could be an inch or two wider to accommodate more variety storage containers. There is an option for customization, and I’d suggest getting the overall height from the standard 26 inches to somewhere between 20-24 inches heading lower if you prefer a thicker mattress. Skip the bed option, you can build yourself for about 80% less

If you’re looking for a company that prides itself on customer service, I’d look elsewhere. I ran into several issues throughout the build and delivery process that took 22 weeks instead of the stated “12-16”. Five different build and ship dates were given to me and each time one of them passed I received no notice and only got a new date after I reached out to inquire status. When the product finally did ship, the bed system was 4 inches too narrow to fit span the cabinets. Hans, the owner was unapologetic through repeated interactions and even went so far as to accuse me of “needling him” when I inquired about a refund of the shipping cost associated with the defective product. As a customer who made a significant investment in an important aspect of my life, I felt like a simple commodity to TK.
stesmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:38 PM   #5

I second that

Just got mine today and had a similar experience as stesmit.

Was told 14 weeks, it ended up being 25. I tried to cancel after 20 weeks but was told they were already in production. 2 weeks later got an email that they were about to go into production and wanted more measurements...

Got the cabinets and the bed slats are 7'' too wide. No instructions on how to mount and some of the hardware is mysterious at best. They also left out the extension poles we spoke about the day before it shipped

Paid $2700 for two cabinets and bed slats and another $650 to ship. They are insanely overpriced, cant follow simple specs and customer service is plain out lacking.

Although they advertise they can make them for Econoline, they told me they have never done one before. They asked for lots of pics and measurements, which was provided and still screwed up the driver side where the rear AC unit is. That cab sticks out 3'' from the wall due to it hitting the vent, which is what most pics were requested for.

I'll be spending the weekend fixing their shitty work and will have to live with a gapping hole between the cab and wall in the driver side.

To say I'm pissed and feel ripped off is an understatement. I sent them all this info, but doubt they will reply or do anything about it, it's not their style..

I'd stay far away from this company. Especially if you need them anything but stock size.
Nrgcreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:45 PM   #6
Site Team

As painful as thet experience has been for both of you, we do appreciate you coming here and giving your honest feedback so that other's don't go down the same path.

Herb
Old 09-01-2022, 06:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgcreator View Post
Just got mine today and had a similar experience as stesmit.

Was told 14 weeks, it ended up being 25. I tried to cancel after 20 weeks but was told they were already in production. 2 weeks later got an email that they were about to go into production and wanted more measurements...

Got the cabinets and the bed slats are 7'' too wide. No instructions on how to mount and some of the hardware is mysterious at best. They also left out the extension poles we spoke about the day before it shipped

Paid $2700 for two cabinets and bed slats and another $650 to ship. They are insanely overpriced, cant follow simple specs and customer service is plain out lacking.

Although they advertise they can make them for Econoline, they told me they have never done one before. They asked for lots of pics and measurements, which was provided and still screwed up the driver side where the rear AC unit is. That cab sticks out 3'' from the wall due to it hitting the vent, which is what most pics were requested for.

I'll be spending the weekend fixing their shitty work and will have to live with a gaping hole between the cab and wall in the driver side.

To say I'm pissed and feel ripped off is an understatement. I sent them all this info, but doubt they will reply or do anything about it, it's not their style..

I'd stay far away from this company. Especially if you need them anything but stock size.

Just wanted to update this. I did actually get a reply from the company the same day saying that "The bed panels are sent wide and are designed to be cut down to the correct width after you install the WW cabinets". This makes sense, but again shows their communication is lacking. The panels have a metal edge so cutting them down to size isn't as easy as it seems, but all good.
Nrgcreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #8

For the price, it's tough to hear about all the complications/grief.

Looking at all the flat pack options on ebay.uk and the like sure make me wonder how to get some of those options state side.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #9

Dissapointing to hear as I was thinking of getting a couple of things from them.Have you tried to leave a review on there website, or is it like many others that wont accept criticism unless it is positive.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #10

^^ Google reviews are a way around site owner gatekeeping. The newest of 6 Trail Kitchen reviews (3 months ago) rated 'em 1 star & started w/turn-around time. Older reviews were all 5 star. Growing pains?