Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #11

LOL. My imagination can handle that one. Too funny.

I am definitely aware that there is no free lunch. You want power?? Well to make power you need more fuel. Simple. Wife and I both agreed that we want power. There are times when you safety involves being able to get up to speed quickly or get by someone. I dislike under powered vehicles.

First quick floor plan and I am thinking about the Extended already. Hmmmm Dually??

You guys are the best. Always helping out. I really appreciate it. My wife and I have decided to dedicate our free time to the pursuit of traveling and good times with the kids. They are 5-1/2 now, so we have a good period of time when all things are fun and magic.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #12

Our family of 4 is perfectly happy with the layout we have in our med roof 130wb. The van is super nimble too. I appreciate the big vans for all their space but I definitely like our 'lil' van for daily driving and our use model.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #13

I think it really comes down to how my wife perceives this van. Is it more of an RV or daily driver. How much does she want to fit into it.

I am with you on the nimble thing.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #14

Speaking of nimble, this is my favorite Transit Video:https://youtu.be/XW0uyqKwB_A

This one is pretty good too:
https://youtu.be/w3BN28La2cI
Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #15

Just curious, are you guys going to drive the van often, or is this a nicer version of a weekender? I ask because you could get a well appointed Airstream for about the same as a new van + buildout to use as your “fancy” camper, and keep the SMB for the weekender. Our van tows like a dream, so it may be a thought?
lavolpe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #16

This is a fancy weekender that could see use as a daily as well. Unless I can find a sick deal on a used airstream touring coach, I can easily build one out for half the price of theirs new. A well appointed cargo is gonna be 50k. That leaves a ton of money for the build. Without 4x4 conversion (which may happen some day anyway) and aluminess gear we can easily DIY build this thing for under 30k with nice components. Or about half of what the airstream costs. My job affords me access to a lot of metal fabrication equipment and I have a nice festool setup, a garage space, and an industrial sewing machine.

Airstreams are gorgeous though, no doubt. If I had just hit the lottery it would be a no brainer.

LOL carringb, that guy sold me right away.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #17

Not trying to steer away from a van (because frankly I would consider doing the same thing), but you may want to see some of the pricing on the Airstreams. You can get a brand new one in the $60-80k range (depending on which model, size, etc.). Sounds about the same as your intended build, and like you said, they are very nice for the $$$.
lavolpe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavolpe79 View Post
Not trying to steer away from a van (because frankly I would consider doing the same thing), but you may want to see some of the pricing on the Airstreams. You can get a brand new one in the $60-80k range (depending on which model, size, etc.). Sounds about the same as your intended build, and like you said, they are very nice for the $$$.

I will check it out for sure. Thank You.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Speaking of nimble, this is my favorite Transit Video:https://youtu.be/XW0uyqKwB_A

This one is pretty good too:
https://youtu.be/w3BN28La2cI

"....Whether you're doing a bank robbery or some kind of a heist.....or taking it off a big jump." Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
There was some ambulance prep thing in there that allowed me the 4.10 axle. I would lean toward that ratio in lieu of maybe lifting it later and putting bigger tires on.....also better acceleration from stop, good for merging with traffic etc and negotiating big passes.
This is interesting, so there is a loophole that allows the 4.10 rear with the ecoboost?