Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian94ht View Post
This is interesting, so there is a loophole that allows the 4.10 rear with the ecoboost?

I was on the internet doing the "Build & Price" and it came up. Something about the ambulance prep package. It's also listed on the options when you start the build and price. They have LS too.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #22

You can regear to 4.10 and change BCM settings with Forscan.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
You can regear to 4.10 and change BEM settings with Forscan.
i'm a newbie - can you explain this?

and

FWIIW - to the original poster - I recently drove 900 miles, varied terrain - in a rental 22' high roof EcoBoost Transit camper - (WanderVans - was great) - minimal build in, lightly loaded, and the thing drove like a dream.

cruised at 75 MPH. up hills.

tons of power. starting from a stop even.

i wonder if you need the 4.10 gears.

can u test drive one?

oh and from what I read - you should get the limited slip diff for sure (i forget if you mentioned that or not already)

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #24

My take on gearing the EcoBoost....

If you aren't towing, you don't need low gears. With that much torque available at a low RPM, you're nearly always traction limited anyways. In some ways, taller gears feels quicker because it doesn't have to upshift so soon, and it's less likely to pull power to maintain traction.

Once you add a trailer, then lower gears will make more of a difference.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #25

DANG MG!! Snooped around your website. Your Transit looks great!! The bunk beds are primo!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
i'm a newbie - can you explain this?
I mistyped on my phone... edited to read BCM.

The BCM (Body Control Module) stores configuration data such as the gear ratio. When updated via Ford's programming software or an aftermarket tool, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) "relearns" the configuration and adjusts parameters for the new gear ratio.

The Transits come with 3.31, 3.73 or 4.10 gearing. You can change gearing and update the BCM without the Ford dealer's tool by downloading Forscan and doing it yourself.

My van came with 3.31 gearing and it was stupid fast for a van. After lifting it and the larger tires, I went to 3.73 gearing (works out to about the same as 3.31s and stock tires)... it's still stupid fast for a van, now with better tires and limited slip.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
DANG MG!! Snooped around your website. Your Transit looks great!! The bunk beds are primo!
Thanks! It's a great van! We absolutely love it! The kids have hours of fun up on the top bunk.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
My take on gearing the EcoBoost....

If you aren't towing, you don't need low gears. With that much torque available at a low RPM, you're nearly always traction limited anyways. In some ways, taller gears feels quicker because it doesn't have to upshift so soon, and it's less likely to pull power to maintain traction.

Once you add a trailer, then lower gears will make more of a difference.
Precisely. I can't see ever needing 4:10 with the EB even towing but that's me. 3:31 (OEM for me) was fine and 3:73 LSD (that I added) is completely dialed.

The Ecoboost makes so much torque at such a low RPM you'll think your in a diesel most of the time. Not an average diesel either, a really fast one. They are stunningly quick for a #6k vehicle.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Precisely. I can't see ever needing 4:10 with the EB even towing but that's me. 3:31 (OEM for me) was fine and 3:73 LSD (that I added) is completely dialed.

The Ecoboost makes so much torque at such a low RPM you'll think your in a diesel most of the time. Not an average diesel either, a really fast one. They are stunningly quick for a #6k vehicle.
I agree with your thoughts on the 3.5 EcoBoost Transit. My recent rental was super impressive.

We plan on a sort of 1/2 way build. With 3 people. With a 22’ high roof.

What would 3:73 get us... as opposed to 3:31 ?

Thanks.

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #30

I really don't know. If you are ordering the van I would choose 3:73 LSD but if shopping from available stock at dealers you'll likely find only 3:31s. If the rest of the van works I would grab it and have your gear set changed and LSD added when and if you think you need it. I'm more impressed with the Trutrac LSD I put in mine than the difference in gearing. I also did a 5-star tune about the same time which eliminated turbo lag and definitely woke the Ecoboost up (more). Both of these mods only cost about $1500.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote