Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #31

Did an off-road shakedown in Joshua Tree this week...All working as planned
People have asked the name of the van...It's now official
She's called Karakoram
Attached Thumbnails
Van_Life_Joshua_Tree_March_2018-1.jpg  

mfj20th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfj20th View Post
...She's called Karakoram
Karakoram, or Karakorvan? Might as well jump in with both feet.

Herb
Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #33

Looking excellent! Who did your roof rack install? Would be great to see your rig in person. Sounds like your SoCal based, maybe you can show it off at the next So-Cal meet-up.
cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #34

We did the roof rack install, after a lot of thinking on the weight and attachment side.
Needed to keep weight down, to make pop top usable, even when the rack was empty.
The underside of the roof in the Traverse had a simple, and not great headliner, which we re-engineered with birch ply, and re covered in alcantara...We ran aluminum strips under that and attached Yakima tracks and their aero bars. The Kuat mini basket with extension held the 100watt solar panel perfectly, and I'm using the Yakima Showdown surf rack to make it easier to load/unload boards from the side. We also added the Front Runner ladder brackets, modified for the gutters, to hold a collapsible ladder for the front bars when loading. pretty trick. The builder is a close friend, and Im happy to make an intro if you PM me.
When's the next SoCal meet up?
Peace, MJ
Old 03-30-2018, 08:15 PM   #35

MJ currently nothing is scheduled, last one was in February seems like they happen every 3 or 4 months.
cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #36

Hi,

Love the van - I looks like you got a new canvas roof?, would you mind sharing where you sourced it?, The canvas roof on my 2003 Traverse is looking a bit sad!
Thanks
Nick
Cantraverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #37

Garage
RSE steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfj20th View Post
We did the roof rack install, after a lot of thinking on the weight and attachment side.
Needed to keep weight down, to make pop top usable, even when the rack was empty.
The underside of the roof in the Traverse had a simple, and not great headliner, which we re-engineered with birch ply, and re covered in alcantara...We ran aluminum strips under that and attached Yakima tracks and their aero bars. The Kuat mini basket with extension held the 100watt solar panel perfectly, and I'm using the Yakima Showdown surf rack to make it easier to load/unload boards from the side. We also added the Front Runner ladder brackets, modified for the gutters, to hold a collapsible ladder for the front bars when loading. pretty trick. The builder is a close friend, and Im happy to make an intro if you PM me.
When's the next SoCal meet up?
Peace, MJ
Hey MJ, not to change the subject but I see you have RSE steps. I was wondering how long have you had them on and if you ever had any problems with them.
I am especially concerned about the passenger side (long side with three lift arms). Thanks.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #38

That’s the canvas that was on the van when I got her.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:52 AM   #39

No issues with the steps yet. Once they were adjusted and tweaked, all good. I’m glad I was able to get them. I was happy they were willing to make a new set. MJ
Old 07-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #40

Garage
Rse steps

Thanks, I have mine for over two years now. The problem I have with them is I need to keep tweaking them sometimes two or three time a year. Folks at RSE don't have a clue as to what the problem is.
I have done everything from contacting RSE to grinding high spots, removing and replacing the lifts and at one point removing the steps and putting them on the bench while in contact with RSE.
I have heard from others that the long steps (three lift arms like the ones used on Hummers also) have been problematic.
I'm not at all badmouthing RSE I still think the steps are well made, can take as beating and look really sharp.
I thought it may be of interest to you and others and would gladly detail all the steps that I tried to resolve the problem.
Glad your not having any issues with them.
Thanks, Lenny.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote